Priorities

tigger19

Ok which position does everyone think the team needs to improve on for the 2022 season? For mine an experienced centre is first and foremost,2nd row options are looking better lately with Blore managing to start and show what he is capable of, Tuilagi looking good and could be a Smokey to start next year,Luciano has looked better the last couple of weeks as well.If the club could jag someone of real quality here than it would be money well spent, pushing LL to the bench and giving Tuilagi more time. Next is a utility player to come on and cover the backline and hooker, Connor Watson is probably the best pick of who is available but won’t come cheap.Last of all a winger,good defensively and will put the pressure on the ones we have.

I don't think Watson will happen.

There is underlying issues that need to be addressed. Please reply and disagree if you must but I feel this is cold hard facts / truths.

Nofo - too comfortable. Doesn't appear to be trying. Runs sideways and doesn't compete. Maumalo is coming good but Nofo is a weak link. Can we please shop him and find some one else?

Talau - not a first grader. Isn't improving. I see the hopeful comments but he's not up to it. Gildart probably isn't the answer either.

Mbye - no words, he's going. Some one else's problem.

Brooks - we going to waste another year with him at 7? When is enough, enough ? Hoping Hastings kills it and gives us no choice to shop him.

Mikaele - depth. Too sloppy. Needs to trim down and improve dramatically to keep a position in the 17.

Tamou - can we sell him off a year early? Doesn't offer anything on field or off.

Captaincy - we know who it should be. Why isn't this happening? AD to (C) and let's build around him.

For me the biggest Priorities are extending Stefo and Laurie..
Happy to add LL and Blore to this list after them (AD left off list as i think he still has 2-3 years left i think but he is a must as well.)

@hsvjones said in [Priorities](/post/1445065) said:
For me the biggest Priorities are extending Stefo and Laurie..
Happy to add LL and Blore to this list after them (AD left off list as i think he still has 2-3 years left i think but he is a must as well.)

Agree with all that. I’d add Kelma as well though

Extend Stef, Laurie, Blore.

Two centres and one winger

Strike second rower and another high quality middle

@avocadoontoast said in [Priorities](/post/1445101) said:

how did blore go tonight?

Hooker - Would like Hodgson to guide Simpkin or Smith

Prop - We have 5 signed up we need 2 experienced props to add to Stefano, Twal, Musgrove, Mikele, Tamou.

Lock/ 2nd row - 1 experienced backrower to add too what is still not eniugh depth here

Outside backs - Need a centre

Im actually ok with our wingers and think Talau is in for 1 side but whether Kepoa or Gildart can fill the other im not sure.

I think our pack has good potential just needs quality depth.

Id keep Roberts as a backup winger

@ozluke said in [Priorities](/post/1445125) said:

80 minutes
9 runs, 70m
36 tackles, 1 missed
2 offloads
1 error and 1 bad offload
Made some really good tackles one-on-one.

@kazoo-kid said in [Priorities](/post/1445138) said:

80 minutes
9 runs, 70m
36 tackles, 1 missed
2 offloads
1 error and 1 bad offload
Made some really good tackles one-on-one.

cop a performance like that every week....

I thought he was great

Centre, wing and front row. Possibly fullback too - I'm not entirely sure Laurie stays there long term, a few see him as a 6 and maybe he is - he lacks in support play from fullback and I think we could potentially do better here - Logen Dillion if he sticks around could be the long term option.

Don't mind Ken M on one wing - can score a try despite not being overly quick - he does get our sets off to a good start also. Nofo infuriates me, and many others. Again, he's capable of scoring tries but too often crabs across field, gets caught out of position and I think we can, and should do better.

Centre is where we lack - Talau...for every good thing he does, he does something stupid, isn't overly quick and to me has the makings of a backrower with his build. Gildart is an unknown next year, looks good on his feet but defensively there's massive question marks...AJ coming back from a knee reco...he's ok in the centres, dents the line but his hands let him down a bit and to me, Israel Ogden is the most likely centre prospect we have, and is big enough and old enough to be given a chance next year IMO.

Stefano needs help up front - Tamou isn't up to it, Musgrove could be that guy but has been injured so often, and his last game defensively was a nightmare. Mikaele is frustrating, he's big enough and mobile enough but doesn't seem to want it enough which is a shame. Twal and Joe O I think do a good job of holding the middle, but we need that extra front rower who can consistently find his front and bend the line.

@boonboon said in [Priorities](/post/1445135) said:

Prop - We have 5 signed up we need 2 experienced props to add to Stefano, Twal, Musgrove, Mikele, Tamou.

Lock/ 2nd row - 1 experienced backrower to add too what is still not eniugh depth here

Im actually ok with our wingers and think Talau is in for 1 side but whether Kepoa or Gildart can fill the other im not sure.

No for Hodgson for me as he is getting slow and would also want decent money. I would rather put that money towards a Smith or Grant..

Agreed. I think if we are to be a serious threat we need an 80 minute prop (doesn't need to play 80 but could) like the top 5 teams have, who can be aggressive in A and D. This guy will take the place of Tamou.
We need at least one more quality centre as well as a real lock forward who has some skills.
Finally we can not compete with the service and quality that we have been getting from hooker this season. Although with both Liddle and Simpkin we looked better, we need to be getting the same value from this important role in the team as the top teams are getting from their hookers.

@hsvjones said in [Priorities](/post/1445165) said:

No for Hodgson for me as he is getting slow and would also want decent money. I would rather put that money towards a Smith or Grant..

Well me too but not sure that happens. If it cant and we believe in Simpkin then Hodgson would be great to bridge the gap. Raiders might have had a poor yr but when he has played their win % was the same as the yr they made the GF and we could send them Brooks in return with Hastings moving into hn

Who we actually looking at noone knows. How was sirro tonight missed the game

1 Laurie
5 Maumalo
6 AD
8 Utoikamanu
10 Twal
11 Leilua
12 Blore

14 Offa
15 Tuilagi

For me personally, that's the only guarantees going forward.
Competition for spots.

I really liked Simpkins performance tonight.
Not sure if he's 80 minute ready yet.

Lots of questions for next season.

@boonboon said in [Priorities](/post/1445177) said:
@hsvjones said in [Priorities](/post/1445165) said:

Well me too but not sure that happens. If it cant and we believe in Simpkin then Hodgson would be great to bridge the gap. Raiders might have had a poor yr but when he has played their win % was the same as the yr they made the GF and we could send them Brooks in return with Hastings moving into hn

Agree I would sway him for Brooks no question...

We need a strike centre, hard nosed prop and a hooker. I think I we need to move on from liddle. And Simpkin is a kid.

If we can get players like Lomax, Smith Shileds, Moe Fotuika, Tom Starlng. Franklin Pele we will get better fast.

@tony-soprano said in [Priorities](/post/1445185) said:
Who we actually looking at noone knows. How was sirro tonight missed the game

Very tentative as he is just back from long term injury.
So signing him is a risk as last two seasons have been difficult.
Not sure he can get over his injuries and get back to his good 2019 form.

@tyga said in [Priorities](/post/1445200) said:
We need a strike centre, hard nosed prop and a hooker. I think I we need to move on from liddle. And Simpkin is a kid.

If we can get players like Lomax, Smith Shileds, Moe Fotuika, Tom Starlng. Franklin Pele we will get better fast.

Instant improvement to our squad.

Members online

Back