Punch-ups - are they good for the game?

Tiger_heart

Sorry, but I can't get excited about them, if I want to see punch-ups I go to the boxing…

I love the odd biff.

I think it shows some passion and aggression and can add to the intensity of the game. I wouldn't want to see a fight overly often, but the odd game when the tension is high I think it adds to the excitement.

Its a high contact/collision sport, tempers are always bound
to fray, its been happening since the game began and will
continue to happen - sorry to disappoint you, bit its PART OF THE GAME.

of course they're good for the game. its not like its wests or manly in the 70's. that was thuggery. those days are finished. :arrow_right:

I'd rather watch 2 blokes go toe to toe like Price/White in origin than watch cheap blind siding shots like anything Barry Hall has ever done.

Personally I don't mind it if it's warranted, such as the Farah incident where he was king hit for no reason. I'd retaliate and I'd expect my team to be behind me. Is it good for the game though? Overall no, but it always gets the players and fans excited when it happens and I cannot see it ever being truly eradicated from the game.

@Marshall_magic said:
I'd rather watch 2 blokes go toe to toe like Price/White in origin than watch cheap blind siding shots like anything Barry Hall has ever done.

Exactly, and like others have mentioned, it is part of the game, it gets the crowd involved when there's a stink, and when it's two blokes having a stand up blue, it's all fair.

2 dust ups in 5 days beats the last 6 years of handbags at 10 paces that's for sure….should be more of it....Who's teams eventually won those games BTW

Throwing punches cause you can is just plain stupid.

However if the environment is right in regards to feel, spice and status of game; a dust-up just makes it better.

Yes/No
I am in a 50/50 regarding punch-ups in our modern day game. Yes they are good to see one in a full moon as it gets everyone in crowd cheering etc…But then the other factor it sees the young generation who look up to their idols of the sport think its ok to start a punch-up in rugby league in their own age group when it might not be ok and they are just doing it to look like their idols. Which isn't the way to go by.

I would rather it didn't happen, just because I don't want to give any ammunition to the mothers who say they'll never let their boys play rugby league.

i love them! everyone just seems to stand up and yell when it happens love it :laughing:

I love seeing a good knuckle up.

Hate seeing 3 vs 1 and things like that but if some body is outta line and gets smacked out because of it, I see no problem with it.

Been happening in footy forever, the fans love it so if it happens - it happens.
As Mike Tyson says, if you don't like it - turn off your station….
He also said...

I was gonna rip his heart out I'm the best ever, I'm the most vicious and ruthless champion there's ever been, my style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious - I want your heart, I wanna eat his children. Praise be to Allah.

I like a good stink as long as it's fair. Not a fan of third men in like Waterhouse or Thaiday and also not a fan of chumps like Creagh/Ennis who shove or smack someone and then cat it.

Worst thing I have seen in recent years is Beau Scott take a cheap shot or three at Inglis while the Dog Whisperer bound Inglis' arms.

Love it Best one I have ever seen was Dowling and Tamati and some of the Manly \Magpies blues only other one that stands out was Close and Price in origin

Good for junior soccer games , gang up on the coach, coach gets a chair and a pair of scissors!.
There's nowhere to hide on a Rugby League field and if you want to punch someone then you've got the rest of the game to try and avoid the inevitable 'legal' consequences.
The players know these days that they are tough enough without resorting to the old days unless you're Ben Creagh of course who waits until the last 2 minutes of an Origin game to show how big a man he is.

Sometimes a good dust up can transform a dull, run of the mill affair into a tense, edge of the seat thriller.

Other times it can put a side completely off their game plan.

Both of these occasions can be used as a technique.

It's good for the fans and players but probably not the best for the game itself.

Having said that I'm a big fan of smacking out a smart arse or a dirty cheap-shotter so I still love them.

When Robbie packed into that scrum against Watts the anticipation around the ground was electric and the roar when they broke and we saw Farah towelling that grub up was huge.

@innsaneink said:
Its a high contact/collision sport, tempers are always bound
to fray, its been happening since the game began and will
continue to happen - sorry to disappoint you, bit its PART OF THE GAME.

x2… If it just happens as apart of the heat of the battle, I'm ok.... If its pre-meditatored, I'm not so sure.

I was always a little hot under the collar and played the game on the edge, but the Up-and-Under we saw 2 years ago in Origin 3 was not good for the game!!!

Latest posts

Back