Sea Eagles chasing England prop Burgess

alex

AAP Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:44:54

England prop Sam Burgess has been targeted by defending NRL premiers Manly.

The 20-year-old is currently contracted to English Super League club Bradford but has held talks with the Sea Eagles.

"We have spoken to Sam and he has made no secret of the fact that he wants to come and play down here," Manly's recruitment chief Noel Cleal told Britain's Sunday Mirror newspaper.

"He probably is the pick of the next generation in England."

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/55909/sea-eagles-chasing-england-prop-burgess/default.aspx
\
\
We can't let this guy get away. We need to table him an offer NOW and get him over here. Hopefully Ellis has had a word to him about the Tigers and maybe Buckets can try the same tactics he used with Ellis. I'll be spewing if Manly sign him.

king_sirro

Look, we all know props are important, but seriously, with the right recruitment and vision, we should be able to fill these spots for not that much money. Burgess will be too expensive in my opinion. If u look around at other clubs, they've managed to pick up good front rowers for not much money, like Snowden, Weymann, Hodgson, etc. If we could sack Payten and replace him with Scott, i'd be pumped. Other than that, i'd like to put faith in Shirnack.

steven_tiger

Snowden would be a great pick up.

He would fill the void, along with what we have, until the younger guys start to step up.

Alex, that information must have been on the old forum, because I can't see it here. There was definitely an article about it with those exact quotes. Not having a go at you, I was having a go at nrl.com.

alex

S'all good Steven. This was just the first official word I had heard of any club being after him. I just thought all the talk about him coming down under were rumours or word on the street. Manly already have two decent front rowers in Kite and Perry. If they add Burgess they'd kill it, but in saying that, I'd take Kite or Perry .. well actually .. on second thoughts, no I wouldnt.

We need one more prop for depth. We had to shuffle too many players around once KG got injured. Either that, or we bring up Gower. He had a solid game today.

Odessa

Look, we all know props are important, but seriously, with the right recruitment and vision, we should be able to fill these spots for not that much money. Burgess will be too expensive in my opinion. If u look around at other clubs, they've managed to pick up good front rowers for not much money, like Snowden, Weymann, Hodgson, etc. If we could sack Payten and replace him with Scott, i'd be pumped. Other than that, i'd like to put faith in Shirnack.
Shirnack what happened to him