Shannon Gallant signs with NQ Cowboys

Jazza

WESTS Tigers fullback Shannon Gallant has set himself an eight-week deadline to make it as an NRL player - or he will join the police force.

Signed by the Tigers on an incentive-structured contract with a base value of just $20,000 for the season, Gallant has walked the NRL breadline for the past two seasons. Off contract in October and with 20-month-old son Preston and fiancee Brooke Munro at home in Ambarvale, the Wests Magpies junior is fighting to forge a career on a battler's income.

But the fullback nicknamed Mighty Mouse, who pockets an extra $2,500 for every NRL match he plays, isn't about to complain. "I might be struggling a bit but I'd be happy to brush my match payments just to play in the NRL,'' Gallant said.

"Obviously they come in handy and I desperately need them. But that's how keen I am just to get a go. It's hard trying to make things work but this is a dream … sometimes you've got to struggle a bit to get through."

"This is the most important eight weeks of my rugby league life. It could be the end of my career - or it could be just the start.I've just got to work hard for the family now."

"My family's always helped me through the tough times. But if rugby league doesn't work then I want to become a police officer. I'd like to start in uniform but eventually I'd like to work on the highway patrol.''

With the Tigers finals hopes all but extinguished, Gallant has earned an opportunity after coach Tim Sheens opted to scrap the controversial experiment of playing Benji Marshall at halfback.

Regular fullback Tim Moltzen is now wearing the No.7 jumper, with Marshall playing five-eighth. That means Gallant will today make his debut at Leichhardt Oval - opposite a player he has spent countless hours studying in the shape of North Queensland's Matt Bowen.

"I've watched that many tapes on Matt Bowen,'' Gallant said. "I try to replicate my game on him ... so I can't wait to get an opportunity against him.''

New Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said the club was likely to make a decision within the next fortnight on whether Gallant is given a new contract. "We're just in the final throes of locking down our playing roster for next year,'' Humphreys said.

"We still have two or three spots to determine so Shannon is very much in our thinking. The first half of the year probably didn't play out the way Shannon would have liked but he's continued to work hard and finds himself back in the NRL team so he's very much in the mix for us.''

Gallant has pocketed a total of $30,000 so far this season - before tax - and hopes some strong from will see him remain in the NRL.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/gallant-faces-a-career-choice/story-e6frexnr-1225751712210

MacDougall

Surely he's got to be good enough to get a contract SOMEWHERE!

Isn't he pretty much the best fullback running around in State Cup?

It saddens me but I don't think he will get signed by the Tigers. I just hope somebody picks him up because he is a gun.

NZTiger

I hope the Tigers do pick him up on a contract. He'll prove his worth today, up against one of the best fullbacks in the business.
Go Mighty Mouse!

kiwitiger

With the signing of Brown and Lazarus and Moltzen also signed by WT my gut feeling is at long odds to be signed. Hope he picks up a contract elsewhere.

NZTiger

@kiwitiger said:
With the signing of Brown and Lazarus and Moltzen also signed by WT my gut feeling is at long odds to be signed. Hope he picks up a contract elsewhere.

Mighty > Brown. I just don't get that >_<

But yep, good luck to him. He deserves to be playing in the NRL tbh.

kiwitiger

@NZTiger said:
@kiwitiger said:

Mighty Brown. I just don't get that >_<

But yep, good luck to him. He deserves to be playing in the NRL tbh.

I can only think we are looking for size. What happens if Mighty slays it in the next 8 weeks?

Ghostdogg

What a disgrace this is. Gallant should easily be in the top 25 of any NRL club. The Tigers have treated him like rubbish, I hope he is picked up by a club that has a clue.

tomcat

@Ghostdogg said:
What a disgrace this is. Gallant should easily be in the top 25 of any NRL club. The Tigers have treated him like rubbish, I hope he is picked up by a club that has a clue.

fully agree

Balmain_Bug

Shannon Gallant is not only the best fullback in the State Cup, he is one of the top 10 in the NRL.

He makes $20,000 a year. Pensioners make more than that.

He has a family to feed.

Martin Tauber is his manager. Martin is THE BEST in the business.

The way the Wests Tigers have treated Shannon is beyond a disgrace. He is a talented guy who is not in the click at the Wests Tigers and despite outstanding performances has never been allowed to have a **proper** shot.

I know for a fact that Tim Sheens wants him for 2010 but what role and how much they are willing to pay is up in the air and will probably be laughable.

How this guys is not in our top 25 and blokes with a 1/4 of his talent, passion and skill are, is beyond me.

There is one particular man in the WT organisation, and its not Sheens or Simmons, that for years has talked down Gallants ability and gotten into blokes ears and rubbished him behind his back. This man is directly responsible for Shannon's lack of opportunities and progression in that team because of his initial influence. That bloke should have been sacked years ago because his inabilities in his role have made him a laughing stock in the NRL. Unbeknown to the Sheens, this same man several weeks ago told Gallant not to go to Wests Tigers training again as they were not interested in him. Gallant was told to return to WT training by Sheens.

Does the place sound like a shmozzle ?? The answer is YES.

WT management, you are an absolute disgrace.

Staks

Name him BB, this place has no official links with the WT anymore.

G

It will be a shame if Gallant is forced out of the Tigers, but he's got a family to look after and support and earning $30-$40k isn't going to make that job easy. Looks like we find out in a couple of weeks where his future lies.

Pierre_M7

I hope mighty mouse can stay, because last year in a interview he said that "I want to be a Tiger for life".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx2H0MV7KVY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYNPu2Wu8Qw&feature=related

alien

atleast he is getting his chances now. i hope he plays his best because even if we dont sign him another club might if they see him play well. it would be sad to see him leave the game

simonthetiger

Didnt he have a great game today…..saved tries,scored one with some top line pace.

Im impressed.....

AndTheKungFoSing

Has to stay… He's a player who bleeds the clubs colours and that coupled with his ability is enough for me!!

**He must be resigned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

alien

he had a good game today. he should be in our top 25 for next year, even if he isn't in the first 17.