Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust

pawsandclaws1

Our naval shipbuilding capability has significantly improved with the completion of the Hobart Class Destroyers. The first two of twelve Arafura Class OPVs are been constructed at Osborne. This is an example of how our capability has improved. The 8000t Hunter Class frigate construction began this year.

There are many opportunities for young men and women to learn highly skilled trades while employed on this project, the frigates and also the Attack Class submarines.

https://vimeo.com/415323860

Our business would have been involved with the fitout down there I imagine. We do a lot of defence work in our SA branch.

Good to see manufacturing still in Australia. I believe all defence manufacturing take place in Australia, from uniforms through to weapons and vehicles.

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1147906) said:
Our business would have been involved with the fitout down there I imagine. We do a lot of defence work in our SA branch.

Good to see manufacturing still in Australia. I believe all defence manufacturing take place in Australia, from uniforms through to weapons and vehicles.

Yes I agree. I hope your business receives more Defence contracts as we need to rely on our own ingenuity.

I have attached a link which details the latest upgrade to the Anzac Class frigates by BAE Systems at Henderson Yard near Fremantle. The CEAFAR-L2 radar on the frigates is Australian designed and built in the ACT. This is cutting edge technology which has transformed theses ships to perhaps the best ships of their size in the world. This radar has proven to be able track multiple sea skimming missiles unlike many of the systems equipping the world's navies,

The upgrade involves most compartments in the ships including diesel engine mods for more power and efficiency, new sewage system, new air conditioning system, new galley, new communications suite as well as the radar upgrades. HMAS Arunta took 20 months to complete but the remaining completion times for the next 7 ships should be reduced.

https://adbr.com.au/feature-fighting-fit/

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1147906) said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

>

Sorry don't agree with this part - we should focus on what we do well instead wasting our skills and advances in education and technology on making a shirt when that expertise could be out to better use

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1156460) said:

Yes I agree. I hope your business receives more Defence contracts as we need to rely on our own ingenuity.

I have attached a link which details the latest upgrade to the Anzac Class frigates by BAE Systems at Henderson Yard near Fremantle. The CEAFAR-L2 radar on the frigates is Australian designed and built in the ACT. This is cutting edge technology which has transformed theses ships to perhaps the best ships of their size in the world. This radar has proven to be able track multiple sea skimming missiles unlike many of the systems equipping the world's navies,

The upgrade involves most compartments in the ships including diesel engine mods for more power and efficiency, new sewage system, new air conditioning system, new galley, new communications suite as well as the radar upgrades. HMAS Arunta took 20 months to complete but the remaining completion times for the next 7 ships should be reduced.

https://adbr.com.au/feature-fighting-fit/

We do a lot of repair work on the ships. The Navy would prefer to pay three times the amount and repair the existing equipment rather than risk new equipment not fitting/working.

They developed a modular air con unit for the army that was primarily used with mobile medical facilities, they multiplex together. Ingenious design, our guy down there is streets ahead in terms capability in design and construct. Really smart fella.

@boonboon said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1156497) said:
>

Sorry don't agree with this part - we should focus on what we do well instead wasting our skills and advances in education and technology on making a shirt when that expertise could be out to better use

Not everyone is going to be a skilled worker.

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1156517) said:
@boonboon said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1156497) said:
>

Not everyone is going to be a skilled worker.

we need diversity.
Our medical companies like CSL, Cochlear, Mesoblast are killing it both here and overseas. They are all worth billions.
Tech companies and sustainable energy companies are going ok. Countries like Singapore and Malaysia want renewable-power we have a chance now to set this up at the top end of Oz and provide it. This area is where Aust should excel and export to the world.
I'm all for manufacturing as well. In defense, solar, electric high-end cars, medical supplies.

CEAFAR2-L is cutting edge technology. CEA Technologies is a Canberra based company and the upgrades to the Anzac Frigates have transformed them into perhaps the best ships of their size in the world.

All the upgrades are wholly Australian and have and will be performed by an Australian yard and companies. The amount of work performed on these ships has never been undertaken before in Australia.

The new Hunter Class frigates to be built at Osborne and maintained at Henderson Yard will include the CEAFAR2-L over US and UK radars.

As a separate issue, the Australian Nulka soft kill system saved the US destroyer USS Mason off the coast of Yemen from missile strike. This system now equips US. and RAN warships.

https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/australias-world-beating-defence-technology-niche/

This is HMAS Perth being lifted back into the water at Henderson Yard in WA after the first ASMD upgrade. Perth is back on the hardstand at Henderson undergoing the AMCAP upgrade.

Henderson employs 650 trades men and women upgrading and repairing RAN ships. These are real jobs involving highly skilled trades. Note the new main mast was built at the yard. The AMCAP upgrades includes the construction of a new mainmast.

New Zealand has two Anzac Class frigates but preferred to upgrade their ships at Lockheed Martin Canada. For a less capable upgrade, there has been a significant cost blow out and delay to the programme. The Kiwis had the opportunity to put their ships on the hot production line at Henderson and benefit from the economies of scale which will be achieved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgd3eO8eB-c

This is HMAS Stuart being lifted out of the water at Henderson Yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZGgggZNwo8

Hopefully CV 19 experience will have taught us all a lesson that more self sufficiency and less reliance on how much more locally made items may cost us should be the approach for future of this country.
I know that as far as the “big picture” trade wheeling and dealing ..... that may be unrealistic for all aspects of trade and industry but where possible the government should support local industries and encourage people to buy Australian made.

Love this thread for all the hope and substance it has for Australia, our domestic manufacturing industries, our own tradespeople.

One of Australia's greatest Defence success stories has been the Bushmaster vehicle, manufactured in Bendigo. No soldier has ever lost his or her life in one of the vehicles despite IED incidents in Afghanistan. I understand the US would not take on the Bushmaster due to the involvement of the French (Thales) in the design. Japan, the Netherlands, UK, NZ and Fiji have purchased the Bushmaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmoW4D5XbLY

This is the Australian designed and built Hawkei, named after a famous Australian snake. The 1300 vehicles and trailers are being manufactured at Thales facility in Bendigo. The Hawkei is replacing the Land Rover in military service. A feature of this 7 tonne vehicle is the level of protection afforded the occupants with it's design and use of Plassan armour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwaoOItHRVA&t=120s

BlueScope steel has been awarded a contract to supply 1500 tonnes of steel for the prototyping phase of SEA5000, which is the construction of HMAS Flinders. Although HMAS Flinders is the prototype and first ship, HMAS Hunter is the second and nameship of the Class. There are nine ships of the class being built.

Interestingly, 40 per cent of the steel for the British ships of this class being constructed on the Clyde near Glasgow, will be imported from Sweden due to the inability of UK industry to produce steel of the required grade. The Brits are amazed Australian industry has the capability to produce this steel.

I should mention this project will maximise Australian industry involvement in the project which I understand is at least 65 per cent. The awarding of the steel contract marks a significant milestone in this $35bn project. I will try to ascertain if the steel is to be produced at Bluescope Port.Kembla.

https://navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2020/june/8525-australian-navy-keeps-on-track-the-project-of-sea-5000-future-frigate-project.html

Here is a more detailed summary of the involvement of Australian industry in the SEA5000 project. You can see Australia is moving towards self sufficiency in terms of constructing major warships.

https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/maritime-antisub/6225-future-frigate-program-a-major-win-for-critical-australian-industry

COVID19 has exposed the fallacy of relying on foreign build warships. At present two supply ships, HMAS Supply and Stalwart are being built in Spain. HMAS Supply is ready to be transported to Australia but due to COVID19 is moored to a pier in Spain.

Osborne Shipyard is one of the most advanced of it's kind in the world. It was the design for the so called frigate factory intended to build the UK ships on the Clyde. It was never constructed but has been utilised by Australia for Osborne.

https://news.navy.gov.au/en/Jun2020/Fleet/5886#.Xt8KJbzitAs

HMAS Anzac has completed the AMCAP upgrade at Henderson Yard. The upgrade programme is proceeding well which is a reflection of the capability of the Yard and efficiency of its workforce. HMAS Warramunga is undergoing the upgrade now with HMAS Stuart to undergo the upgrade.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1159399) said:

HMAS Anzac has completed the AMCAP upgrade at Henderson Yard. The upgrade programme is proceeding well which is a reflection of the capability of the Yard and efficiency of its workforce. HMAS Warramunga is undergoing the upgrade now with HMAS Stuart to undergo the upgrade.

Good to see the Anzac Frigates going through their mid life upgrade!

I was involved with the design, manufacture and delivery of the original external and internal communications equipment and the fitted out comms containers for the Anzac Frigate program. Except for the transceivers everything was designed and made in Australia, we had over 100 Hardware, Software, and Mechanical Engineers in R&D locally in Sydney with a smaller number in NZ. Most of the comms equipment was made in Sydney, and the comms containers were fitted out in Sydney as well. Was an exciting time in the mid 80’s to mid 90’s, and the fact that we could do this design, development and manufacturing in Australia at the time showed that anything is possible if given the chance.

And the links in other posts that you have provided show that there is still excellent work being done in Australia if given the right chance and opportunity

@DallasD said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1159737) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Shipbuilding Osborne Naval Shipyard South Aust](/post/1159399) said:

Good to see the Anzac Frigates going through their mid life upgrade!

I was involved with the design, manufacture and delivery of the original external and internal communications equipment and the fitted out comms containers for the Anzac Frigate program. Except for the transceivers everything was designed and made in Australia, we had over 100 Hardware, Software, and Mechanical Engineers in R&D locally in Sydney with a smaller number in NZ. Most of the comms equipment was made in Sydney, and the comms containers were fitted out in Sydney as well. Was an exciting time in the mid 80’s to mid 90’s, and the fact that we could do this design, development and manufacturing in Australia at the time showed that anything is possible if given the chance.

And the links in other posts that you have provided show that there is still excellent work being done in Australia if given the right chance and opportunity

Thanks for the valuable. and informative input. The extent of work involved in the AMCAP upgrade is a credit to Australian industry. I hope. all Governments continue to support naval shipbuilding and upgrading programmes.

This represents the end of SEA4000. The programme encountered issues with plans provided by Navantia, the Spanish Govt backed shipbuilder. Construction was further delayed when the build was slowed during the GFC.

These ships were constructed from blocks assembled in Wiiliamtown, Newcastle, Spain and at Osborne where final assembly took place. One of the blocks for Hobart built I believe in the Vic yard had to be rebuilt. This is to be expected when the various Govts stop and start naval. shipbuilding instead of a continuous build programme allowing a highly skilled workforce to be retained,

I have read the quality of build on these ships is excellent and better than their Spanish built half sisters. If anyone recalls our 6 Adelaide class frigates, the first four were built in Seattle while the last two were built at.Williamtown. I have read the build quality on the last two ships, Melbourne and Newcastle was better than the US ships. Both have recently been sold to Chile for further service.

The Hobart, Brisbane and Sydney were built to a modified design from Navantia and US shipbuilder Bath Iron Works. These are similar to the Spanish ships but have more powerful Caterpillar diesel engines, greater bunkerage for extended range across the Pacific, a Phalanx CIW, sonar, more generous crew accommodation, a bow thruster to assist with maneuverability and greater provision storage.

The US Aegis Combat System is to be upgraded to Baseline 9 providing Ballistic Missile Defence capability.

Proudly, Hobart when completed was the only non US warship fitted with CEC or Cooperative Engagement Capability. All three ships have this capability and so will the Hunter Class ships. Interestingly, the article I posted earlier includes advice the Anzac frigates may have a similar capability through its Australian designed and built CEA technologies suite.

https://defbrief.com/2020/05/19/australia-commissions-final-hobart-class-air-warfare-destroyer/

Back