Should Sheens to the honourable thing?

Eddie

And resign?

People are saying we are stuck with him but I would like to believe he has some dignity. He claimed 2008 was a watershed season and he failed. He claimed in 2009 we had to make the finals and we missed. When do you hold your hand up and accept blame? We have record crowds year in year out but little return.

He has the Australian job now and he should take a good look in the mirror with his mate Royce and realise they are dead wood and its time for someone else to have a go. Which other coaches in the NRL have survived 4 seasons in a row without finals. Im 90% confident the answer is, NONE.

He has been here 7 seasons and failed to make the finals in 6 of those seasons. He has now failed to make the finals 4 seasons in a row with a squad that has never been close to the worst list in the NRL. He has failed us badly in recruitment and his continual selection howlers have cost the club victories.

He did a great job in his initial 3 seasons, building each one of them. However 6-7 years into your post is no time for a coach to be rebuilding. If you are re building 6 or 7 years in then you have not been doing your job properly.

Please Sheens, stop hanging on. Stick your hand up and resign. My gut instinct is that more then 50% of the players inclujding the captain would be in favour of this deep down.

Geo

Staff member
Forum Leader
:laughing: Nice one Eddie…..

Why would he?

I'm a failure.....BTW thanks for giving me my own NRL team to play with for 7 years......beats the hell out of fantasy league.....

Sack the Baord who extended him more like it.....

Sheens replacement.....Wayne Bennett....whatever it takes.....

Eddie

On another note I think it would be a shame for some players like Marshall and Farah to spend most of their careers under the one coach. Players sometimes need to be given a new lease of life.

Surely there is no more stale place in the NRL then Concord at the moment. Souths fans are shouting from the roof tops and Crowe is seething after 2 years straight of missing the 8\. Yet we just coast owith the same mediocrity year in year out.

MGB

I don't hate Sheens by any means and the shame of it is I honestly think the team is finally moving in the right direction but I can't help but think his stubborness and pride has cost us this season. If he has actually learnt something this year and we can expect to see this continue next year e.g. a stable halves pairing, players not playing out of position etc. then I'm all for him continuing on, but most would understand if the club did need a new direction…his track record is pretty ordinary.

supercoach

We load up against Sheens usually this time every year and nothing changes. Sheens will not put his hand up, in his mind he thinks he is doing a brillant job and its all things outside his control that are bringing us down. My own opion we have gone this far what another year, the board has to start head hunting now for 2011\. Lets face a new coach now is not going to turn things around unless he can pluck three front rowers out of thin air to bring with him.

Give Sheens one more year save the payout money and just for once put it towards some class in the engine room.

Also to quote the great man, theirs a lot more to judge a coach on than on field results?????_m not sure if I agree with that one_

Eddie

By the way I don't think Sheens has done a terrible job on the whole by any means. I have not forgotten just what a laughing stock the club was when he took over. He has made us a very competative middle of the road club that plays an attractive brand of football, with a Premiership out of no where. Most people would of bitten their hand off to get that sort of progress from where we were.

However we need to be become a winning football club. You see it time and time again. When the pressure is on big clubs with winning cultures like the Manlys and Canterrburys and Brisbane, they have the winning cultures. And the likes of Souths, Penrith, Tigers they have small club syndrome and fall away to medicrity. Overall im thankful for Sheens however im very dissapointed he hasnt been able to move the club further forward. We has had a very long tenure and should of capitalised on what he created.

its just all very stale at the moment. It also must sap the confidence of the players. When your thinking here we go again every August with the season on the line, with the same coaches giving you the same messages.

Defiant

imo Sheens is and has been too close to the players.

My understanding is he lives around the corner from half of them?

He won't resign imo.

D

delphi17

sheens just needs to wine and dine the likes of archer and maxwell,
they always happen to find their way into our crucial games, and the proceeds to destroy with dubious decisions.
and its a coach's job to make sure refs are kept in line with their betting habits…
sheens has failed at that task this year, i am not asking him to whinge, he just needs to take it higher up....

hybrid_tiger

@Eddie said:
By the way I don't think Sheens has done a terrible job on the whole by any means. I have not forgotten just what a laughing stock the club was when he took over. He has made us a very competative middle of the road club that plays an attractive brand of football, with a Premiership out of no where. Most people would of bitten their hand off to get that sort of progress from where we were.

However we need to be become a winning football club. You see it time and time again. When the pressure is on big clubs with winning cultures like the Manlys and Canterrburys and Brisbane, they have the winning cultures. And the likes of Souths, Penrith, Tigers they have small club syndrome and fall away to medicrity. Overall im thankful for Sheens however im very dissapointed he hasnt been able to move the club further forward. We has had a very long tenure and should of capitalised on what he created.

its just all very stale at the moment. It also must sap the confidence of the players. When your thinking here we go again every August with the season on the line, with the same coaches giving you the same messages.

My thoughts exactly. Sheens is a very good coach, however his recent record is fairly poor and he is no "supercoach" as the club continues to describe him.

After seven years, its time for a change.

X-Pac

while where at it lets fire all theplayers like farah,benji,heighnington,gibbs,payton to cause they aint won anything since 2005
sheens isnt the only problem at the club,at least this years hes tried a few different things

Gobbs

No one can question his experience, knowledge and passion. However, does Sheens want to be remembred as a 4 time Premiership winning Coach who has coached at the City, State and National levels of the game? Or rather finish with the embarrassing tag of failing to get capitalise upon a premiership legacy that included poor recruitment, retention and selection. Maybe it is time for a change for both Sheens and Wests. Sometimes a Coach can overstay their tenure and become stale with the playing group struggling to respond to the methods, plans and strategies put forward by the man with the clipboard.

As a supporter and a Coach myself, Bennett would be a dream come true, but it ain't happening in this life time. Brian Smith who is not only an innovative coach, but he is also administrator and gets the job done, can re-set and establish a new culture and structure from the ground up, and his man management speaks for itself in being able to tap into the potential within individuals that has not been unleashed. But he too is also next to no chance of arriving at Concord anytime in the near or distant future.

I personally I believe an aspiring apprentice, someone like Stephen Kearney with a Matthew Johns as his assistant would be a tremendous Coaching team and acquisition to a club and team like Wests Tigers. Kearney has served his apprenticeship under Bellamey and Bennett and surely is worthy of an opportunity. Sheens was the perfect fit back in 2003 when the club needed a disciplinarian, an experienced mentor who had been there and done it before. However, the Joint Venture club needs and requires a change. A breathe of fresh air would be welcomed.

southerntiger

I hope he doesnt because who would replace him. Not a lot of options on the market at present. With a viable option I would be happy for the Tigers and Sheens to part ways. However, at this stage if it were to happen its likely we would be left with a Terry Lamb like coach.

Mothermagpie

Who do you propose that we have guys??
Gobbs has voiced his opinion on replacements, but I am at a loss as to who would coach us.
It would have to be someone that we would have loads of confidence in.
I am not sure if I want Sheens to go

innsaneink

@Mothermagpie said:
Another thing, Benji has been quoted in saying he will stay only as long as Sheens stays.

Sheens also said morris was brought here as a half, THEN a few years later said he was brought as a utility.
Sheens said we'd get one rep player per year.

People lie Ma. Lifes a ***** and the world is full of a-holes

while where at it lets fire all theplayers like farah,benji,heighnington,gibbs,payton to cause they aint won anything since 2005
sheens isnt the only problem at the club,at least this years hes tried a few different things

Did you think before you typed this?
Theres a reason clubs sack the coach…because its easier than sacking many players

Ghostdogg

@Mothermagpie said:
Another thing, Benji has been quoted in saying he will stay only as long as Sheens stays.

I'm sorry but no individual is bigger than the club. The sooner the Tigers realise this the better.

What matters is that the club is successful, I don't give a stuff who the players are if we're winning.

Juro

How about we get Brown from Huddersfield? He took his team to the grand final in his first year!

Ghostdogg

@Juro said:
How about we get Brown from Huddersfield? He took his team to the grand final in his first year!

I think he needs more time in the ESL to earn his stripes.

Latest posts

Members online