Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

While we are talking NFL I have a book about coaching in that league.
The section on defence makes interesting reading, it talks about “ reading the play” so it’s not just lining up your man but making yourself aware of how the opposition normally plays Attack and adjusting your D against likely implications.
Now I know why they pick NFL guys who have been to college, so they can think and make decisions.
I wonder if that’s possible with our guys ?

Madge was explicitly coaching the
Players to go in 3 in the tackle in
Order to reset the defensive line.
For years. The new rule changes
Made us look bad on several
Occassions especially with the
Speed of the play the ball, we
Let a lot of second phase play/
Offloads screw us all season with
An disjointed defensive line
Because of it. Conceeded way too
Many tries up the middle due to
3rd man/markers tracking back.
There were so many games this
Year where we let the opps run
Into our half due to the fact we
Didn't get the ball runner on the
Deck. it was engrained in the team.

While we are talking NFL I have a book about coaching in that league.
The section on defence makes interesting reading, it talks about “ reading the play” so it’s not just lining up your man but making yourself aware of how the opposition normally plays Attack and adjusting your D against likely implications.
Now I know why they pick NFL guys who have been to college, so they can think and make decisions.
I wonder if that’s possible with our guys ?
Unfortunately our decision making is appalling. And many of our players don't learn from mistakes. Think Nofa defence and Brooks in attack and kicking as a prime example. We don't seem to recruit or try and recruit intelligent players

No, I don't think so.
Sadly, not with the NRL, they are probably the most incompetent organisation in the world, probably just beaten by the WT!
We could only hope that one day the NRL will be good as the NBA, NHL, NFL or English Football League!

Reactions: 851
Unfortunately our decision making is appalling. And many of our players don't learn from mistakes. Think Nofa defence and Brooks in attack and kicking as a prime example. We don't seem to recruit or try and recruit intelligent players
Pea brains in critical positions has been our motto for to many years and how about a consistent goal kicker would be nice

Furner joins coaching staff​

Wests Tigers is pleased to announce the addition of David Furner to the club’s coaching team.

furner_sheens_centre_excellence.png.jpeg

Furner brings with him 25 years of NRL experience, as both a player and coach. The former Kangaroos and NSW Origin forward played 200 games over nine seasons with Canberra, and a further 100 games in the English Super League, before transitioning into coaching.

Furner was appointed as the Raiders’ head coach in 2009, and has been an assistant coach at several NRL clubs in recent years, including his most recent club Canterbury Bulldogs. He also played a key role in the premiership-winning coaching team at North Queensland Cowboys in 2015.

Incoming Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens says Furner will be an asset to the club.

“I’ve known David for a very long time, and I know that he is not only a quality person but has an extremely sharp football mind,” said Sheens.
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.27.44 pm.png

"Like Benji and Robbie, David knows what success looks like, and I’m confident he will be a major asset to this club.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe is equally excited about Furner joining the club.

“We welcome David and his family to Wests Tigers and look forward to his contribution to our organisation over the coming years,” said Pascoe.

Furner was today given a full tour of the club’s new Centre of Excellence at Concord.

“This place is incredible and I can’t wait to get started," said Furner.

“I’m looking forward to working with Tim and the team and a great group of people. It’s a wonderful opportunity.”

Players will return for pre-season training in early November.
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.28.25 pm.png

Talented junior, returning to his junior club.
In a position we don't have much depth in.

21 and ready to make an impact.
Rather him, some one that wants to be here than some weak blow ins.
Agree with you @Demps this kid seems to cop a bit of flack but he’s going to give it a red hot crack, a kid who loves the tigers and will turn up every week regardless if they get flogged. Played as a junior at Holy cross rhinos and went to AFL but the Tigers seem to want him back and I guarantee he’ll be loyal to his club and turn up for them and his teammates every week

Latest posts

Members online

Back