Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Elias changed the hooker role, then Andrew Johns played that role for Australia and nsw
Robbie was terrific but do think Elias was a better number
I like Simpkin i think he's got a lot to offer, the only way i'd entertain a swap Simpkin for Brown would be a yr loan for Simpkin (depending on his contract situation) and Brown gets released or loaned to us for the season.
Then we can see how the two younger hookers are looking Rua and De Silva and weigh up our options from there. Be a similar thing for what we did with Grant and Momo.
Rua is older than Simpkin

The Brown swap from Parra is real, the suggested that they would release Brown 1 year early from his contract, if we are prepared to give them a player in return. They have signed Josh Hodgson from Canberra as their hooker for next season, Josh has suffered 2 career threatening Anterior Cruciate Ligament injuries, in 2018 and 2020, on both knees and at 33 he is a big risk for Parra. So they inquired about us releasing young Jake Simpkin to them as a back up for Hodgson.

We have young Rua Ngatikaura coming up through the ranks, I believe this kid has something special to offer, he reminds of Brandon "the Cheese" Smith the way he plays. We also have Will Smith, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a swap on the cards.
Tell Parra to bend over put the head between their knees and kiss their ass goodbye😂

He was on the outer and all over the shop well before then....
Since he re-signed on.

Didn't get as much money as he thought he deserved on the back of playing Origin maybe,
coupled with not getting played.
To be fair, Arthur has taken the Ray Stone, Will Smith spot.

Matterson has taken Browns.
Browny has no one to blame but himself.... He let him take it and didn't hook in to get it back.
Went back to reserves and didn't give a real good showing there either.

Stood up in the WC for Italy...
Dinted pride can do that to a man.
Played. 6 games in nsw cup and averaged 145m and average 34 tackles at 95% and a couple of try assists in 55mins game time. Can’t ask more when a blokes dropped.

Rua is older than Simpkin

Simpkin has played more 1st grade i cant recall whether Rua has even debuted yet anyway i think you're splitting hairs. Grant hadnt played a great deal of 1st grade when he joined us and the full year under his belt did him wonders. But my point still remains i wouldnt be letting Simpkin go for Brown unless we had and option to retain him.

IMHO, we need an utility player on the bench to cover Koroisau, and optionally 2nd rower/lock position.
Rua is suited for that role better than Simpkin, and it would be opportune to loan him for 1yr, especially if we can get a player we need e.g. half, 2nd rower, prop.

I think we need to look at Rua and Simpkin differently. We have Roster spots to do so.

Rua is a Sheens special and fits the team Halatau mould style player but without backline focus, he is though coming back from an injury. Pending how the off season goes he could be a good 14, energy / punch off the bench. I'm not convinced we would get more than 20mins a game out of him NRL wise if Sheens uses him to his strengths.

Simpkin would be Api coverage which we need. Api isn't getting younger & until 22 had never played a full season before. We won't get better depth quality than Simpkin to take on crucial minutes from Api. 2-3yrs under Api & Farah he will learn a heap, 2 of the best attacking Hookers in the last 10yrs.

Back