Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I watched the Manly game. Hastings was OUTSTANDING. Tore them to pieces. At one point in the second half (just before Manly scored their two late tries) he looked like he was really enjoying himself. Crazy decision to get rid of the guy. Is he a pain in the ass? Sure. But I aint paying him to be Mr. Nice Guy. If Hastings sees players or coaches making consistent bad calls he's going to say something. A professional team facilitates such frank and honest debate. An unprofessional team does not. Which is why he was shown the door.

One thing I will say is Hastings isn't starring at the Knights either - 1 try assist and 1 break assist in 5 games and they have beaten only the bottom 2 sides us and Raiders

I’m not a massive fan of Hastings but he did his job against Manly with Gamble off for a chunk at the end. He did botch the field goal setups but that aside he controlled the game well.

He isn’t the creative halfback setup man he has always mainly played the middle traffic cop / distribution role & comes with a reasonable kicking game. Because of that a competent outside play maker can take advantage of it which is a good reason why Gamble is looking like a superstar at times.

Think about this. We are not going to make the finals this year.

Does anyone think we will make the finals before the year 2030? After this year, that is 6 seasons.

Statistically you would think yes but the last decade has destroyed that theory. There is already a 17th team in the comp this year and talk of 18 or even 20 teams by the time the next TV rights deal gets done (2027?). So it will get harder to make the top 8 (presuming it remains the top 8).

I think we are so far off the pace at present there’s a decent chance we don’t make the top 8 until the next decade. Recruitment will be so hard, our good youngsters (first graders, Tupou, Pole, etc) may well leave, our good juniors - some won’t come on which is only natural but the roosters et al would be looking very appealing to the others, and we are probably going to have to clean house with our coaching staff in the next couple of years.

Depressing hey?

Even when Moylan leaves, sharks also have that young star from Penrith’s Jersey Flegg team last year (Paru or something). So they will still have 3 good players into two spots (Hynes, Trindall, Paru). Trindall will be the odd man out imo. Wouldn’t hurt to start sewing the seed.

He's resigned relatively recently or at least for a couple of years so im guessing he see's his future there.

I’m not a massive fan of Hastings but he did his job against Manly with Gamble off for a chunk at the end. He did botch the field goal setups but that aside he controlled the game well.

He isn’t the creative halfback setup man he has always mainly played the middle traffic cop / distribution role & comes with a reasonable kicking game. Because of that a competent outside play maker can take advantage of it which is a good reason why Gamble is looking like a superstar at times.
"Did his job"???? He was the best player on the park. I mean, Dom Young played an absolute blinder. But Hastings ran that game like Eisenhower at Normandy. In his position and with his role speed of thought trumps speed of movement all day, every day. Did he blow a few kicks (like Cherry-Evans?) - sure. But you take his involvement out of that game the Knights are getting pumped.

English hooker added to Titans ranks​

The Gold Coast Titans have bolstered their hooking depth, signing former Leeds Rhino Kruise Leeming for the remainder of the 2023 season.

The 27-year-old has 187 games of Super League experience, scoring a try in last season’s grand final.

Titans Coach Justin Holbrook says he’s looking forward to Leeming linking up with the squad in the coming weeks.
Good player. Wasn't Rohan Smith coaching around that area before he came to SL? If so I'm guessing he put a good word in with Holbrook.

The cupboard is bare I grant you, but we can't just keep trotting out Brooks and Doueihi every week because there is no obvious option, they are killing the team morale and dragging everyone down.
Not ideal, but we need to try some thing
1 - Stains
6 - Laurie
7 - Wakeham
9 - Api
Wakeman is not the answer , Laurie and Brooks maybe as Laurie is more of a live wire , Brooks was marked big time against broncos ,and Wakeman is very slow put another player next to Brooks that is unpredictable and Brooks could be a bit more free to run , Staines at the back I would run and leave him there for more than 1/2 a game , give the kid 6 weeks

Does anyone know how Laurie went today in NSW Cup ?
I hope he killed it so he comes in for AD..

Good player. Wasn't Rohan Smith coaching around that area before he came to SL? If so I'm guessing he put a good word in with Holbrook.
Given that Rohan Smith is his coach there - moved on from him, took the captaincy, and he wasn’t mentioned in his farewell to the club… I doubt that.

They've certainly has words - none of them good… aren’t you the SL guy?

Whoever they choose at FB they need to make a commitment and run with it. You can't keep changing your fullback every three or four games in the modern game without courting calamity. Is AD the best option? We can debate that. But he would be a GOOD ENOUGH option in a non-dysfunctional team.

Reactions: 851
Whoever they choose at FB they need to make a commitment and run with it. You can't keep changing your fullback every three or four games in the modern game without courting calamity. Is AD the best option? We can debate that. But he would be a GOOD ENOUGH option in a non-dysfunctional team.
We are going to disagree on that based on his last game. He is not an NRL standard full back. His efforts in defense were terrible, both positioning and body on the line. That is not good enough for any of the 17 teams.

Given that Rohan Smith is his coach there - moved on from him, took the captaincy, and he wasn’t mentioned in his farewell to the club… I doubt that.

They've certainly has words - none of them good… aren’t you the SL guy?
Sure. But Leeds is a very complicated club. They put the capital "D" in Dysfunction. Not sure Smith understood what he was getting into when he took the job. Suffice to say the team's form has collapsed pretty much concurrently with K-L relationship with the club.

We are going to disagree on that based on his last game. He is not an NRL standard full back. His efforts in defense were terrible, both positioning and body on the line. That is not good enough for any of the 17 teams.
If you are dropping players on defensive efforts you're dropping pretty much the entire team after that performance. As for discussions about who is and who isn't an "NRL standard fullback" .... I just saw the Knights come within a hair of beating Manly with a fullback who didn't realise he was defending behind the dead ball line!

Reactions: 851
Trying to think as Tim Sheens given he has publicly said we are after an experienced playmaker. If we miss out on George Williams, it wouldn't surprise me if Tim/Benji negotiate with their old pal Todd Payten to release Chad Townsend from the last year of his lucrative contract at the Cowboys in 2024 (reportedly $700-$800K).

My reasoning:

- Sheens/Payten have dealt with player transfers in recent times (Luciano) & you would think have a strong mutual respect from the '05 premiership days.
- We could take on his 2024 contract & extend another year making it attractive for Chad (at the backend of his career).
- Cowboys have a future spine in Chester - Dearden - Drinkwater - Robson.
- Chad will be 33 next season but still delivering in key stat areas this season. He is from Sydney originally.
- For leadership & experience for 2 seasons, would be as good as any:

Thoughts???
I will say this again CHAD TOWNSEND in our man!

My thoughts are above plus he has already won a premiership so he can cross that off his career goal list!

Give the Cowboys Doueihi in a swap deal. Get it done Tigers!

Whilst we negotiate for Chad Townsend, we should also look into JWH:

SHOOSH

Another barnstorming performance from big Jared Waerea-Hargreaves against the Parramatta Eels has left the Roosters recruitment and retention team with much to think about. JWH is off contract this year and the club has already used his cap money to sign Spencer Leniu. There is now talk that JWH wants to go around again next year.

His leadership, mongrel & experience would be monumental for a season. Surely Benji knows him well from NZ teams.

Yes both are old but would provide leadership, experience & direction and mentor the young guys coming up.

Staff online

Back