Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307203) said:
@the_pom said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307165) said:
Tigers have signed Tom Amone effective immediately.

If we were interested in him, and he was uncontracted, why didn't we have him on a train and trial deal?

Why have Eden Smith training and trialling well only to overlook him for someone we haven't seen first hand.

All for a position we have more cover than anywhere else on the field. Doesn't make a lot of sense

We all know Maguire likes his big men to lead from the front
Loosing Blore and Musgrove already has lightened us up front
Maguire doesn't want to take any chances
He wants our pack to dominate
If Amone does come then we have alot of big forwards to cover suspension and Injury
Question is now with two spots left, what position and who are we looking at
I still like Fitzgibbon
A bit raw but I think we'll worth the gamble
Last spot can wait a little

@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307208) said:

If we were interested in him, and he was uncontracted, why didn't we have him on a train and trial deal?

Why have Eden Smith training and trialling well only to overlook him for someone we haven't seen first hand.

All for a position we have more cover than anywhere else on the field. Doesn't make a lot of sense

If Amone does come then we have alot of big forwards to cover suspension and Injury
I still like Fitzgibbon

Case in point Tuki and Stefano, both were hitting like trucks on Saturday like they wanted to hurt the opposition. I think Madge will expect physicality from the get go, we might not win every game but each team we play will feel sore and sorry the next day

@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307129) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307113) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307097) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307064) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307059) said:
@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307050) said:
@bigsiro said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307044) said:
Tigers should be going absolutely all out for Reynolds.
He is an organiser, excellent kicker and one of the leagues best goal kickers. What an influence he could be.
He is one of the very few class halfbacks out there.

He wont leave Souths, nor should he. Just agitating for more than a 1 year deal.

If AR was 28 or so I would agree but at 31 and commanding top dollar I think it would be prudent to pass.

I understand your logic however there aren't many organising halves in the comp and we don't have one, unless AD proves to be, but in the one game I have seen him in that position he seems to me like a dangerous/try assisting half that would slot in nicely alongside someone like Adam Reynolds. I'd take him at age, even with all the issues we have had signing old players before.

Mate , I have to say , on what planet is brooks not an organising half ? More directly , do you actually know what that means? It’s not a billion try assists , and miracle plays . It’s marching the team down the field , controlling tempo , and getting through your sets .
That is literally what he was doing last year . To the point of giving Early ball to out of position mbye , and Luci , to get a head of steam up . It lead to really bad stats , a lack of confidence , a somehow none existent short kicking game , and generally no creativity. What you and the writer of that article in the other thread are actually asking for , is a creative half .
Of which I think most agree with you. But there is a distinction, and people need to understand it .

On what planet? Was he really that strong at marching the team around and controlling the tempo. Really? =p

He was the previous 2 and a half years . And the last 5 games after we told benji thanks but no thanks I’m not going to debate this . My point is , I see that comment all the time , I saw it last pre season prior to last season . I saw it in April . And it’s just not factually true . And I thought if the goal is to play to the posts , then that’s exactly what he did . Once again what you define as “control the team “ is not actually what it is . What your talking about is creating .
The past 5 mins of the Canterbury game in which we went down the field and he kicked it to AD to win the game , is what controlling the team is.
He was barking at the pigs and dummy half . Screaming where to position the play , and set it up perfectly for that kick , which Madge said , that they planned that exact scenario and trained for it.
That’s literally what controlling the team is .
Like setting up for a field goal the whole game .
It’s not throwing no look passes to the winger and drifting across field into the space where your centre is. That garbage gets you 17 try assists , but loses the game . There’s a reason we lost less games than previous years and it wasn’t because Luke brooks try assists were 3.
And that the storm roosters and sharks have dominated the last 10 years . It’s controlled football and field position . And attacking tired defenders .

Seriously , Michael gilllet used to control the play , and we’d win or lose 14-12 . Every singly game .
That’s literally what it means . And that’s why brooks played like garbage last year . That’s all he did . He didn’t play “eyes up” or creative football . Which is what you’re taking about .

Who was playing DH at that stage of the game?

Exactly

@watersider said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307139) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307113) said:
Seriously , Michael gilllet used to control the play , and we’d win or lose 14-12 . Every singly game .
That’s literally what it means . And that’s why brooks played like garbage last year . That’s all he did . He didn’t play “eyes up” or creative football . Which is what you’re taking about .

Michael Gillet was one of my favourite players, but he had one good season and was rubbish after that. We lost a lot more of those game than we won, and we never made the finals with him there so not sure what the point of the comparison is (two players who both play halves and don't take their team to the finals?).

What ? That’s my point . That’s what a game manger is without quality around him , and not much else to offer . I think brooks has the game manger stuff sorted, he just drifts in and out of form for the eyes up creative half play. And I was pointing out that what what people think they’re complaint about isn’t what it is .

I still like Fitzgibbon

I don't see how signing someone as our 7th-8th top prop helps us too much. Depth but highly unlikely to see much first grade.

And we still only have 3 fit back rowers

![Screenshot_20210225-002813~2.png](/assets/uploads/files/1614173385609-screenshot_20210225-002813-2.png)

@wt2k said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307214) said:
![Screenshot_20210225-002813~2.png](/assets/uploads/files/1614173385609-screenshot_20210225-002813-2.png)

There is a sporting partnership agreement according to an article on foxsports. Surely he can get a visa like everyone else then.

@wt2k said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307214) said:

Love the attribution

@tiger_fanatic3 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307061) said:
As expected, Crichton extends Panthers stay till 2023

Wonder how much he cost them? Considering other clubs were supposedly sniffing around for $750k or thereabouts. Panthers must be running low on cash to re-sign all of their young guns surely? Might be time for an audit.

8. Tamou
(10). Twal.
(13) Ofehengaue

(15) Utoikamanu
(16) Musgrove /Amone /Packer.

Guess Maguires intentions are becoming clear. Wants a power game.

Amone is a good signing and at the very least offers the reserve grade team good depth in the position.

@the_patriot said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307223) said:
8. Tamou
(10). Twal.
(13) Ofehengaue

(15) Utoikamanu

Amone is a good signing and at the very least offers the reserve grade team good depth in the position.

Surely Mikaele is above Amone

@harvey said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307224) said:

TM was insignificant in 2021.

So much size and speed, so much potential.

Sometimes I feel these guys need to look in the mirror and recognise the gifts the have been given.

This guy can be anything he wants.

@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307225) said:

Sometimes I feel these guys need to look in the mirror and recognise the gifts the have been given.

I think with Tamou and Big O in our pack and injury free Twal I believe the others will step up. I see Amore signing as pushing Packer out the door. MCK also needs a big season.

@speed2burn said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307209) said:

I still like Fitzgibbon

Case in point Tuki and Stefano, both were hitting like trucks on Saturday like they wanted to hurt the opposition. I think Madge will expect physicality from the get go, we might not win every game but each team we play will feel sore and sorry the next day

When Madge won the GF with souths the team was staked with size.

This is what hes building for the next few years

Investing in youngish forwards first makes a ton of sense. Its where we have almost always lacked.

I think we will stun more than a few twams this year.

If they pencil a tigers game as a difficult round and no longer a gimme in 2021, then im very happy.

We are building nicely with the best off-season ever.

@will1999 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307202) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307200) said:
Who's this Aloiai bloke people have mentioned

who's Aloiai?

I believe he's the lawn mower at the 8th wonder of the world that is Leichhardt.

Keep the track fast for the boys this weekend, aioli

@the_patriot said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307223) said:
8. Tamou
(10). Twal.
(13) Ofehengaue

(15) Utoikamanu

Yep i faded Mikaele there, he would be in the mix for that 16 jersey as well.

@magpie1969 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307226) said:
I see Amore signing as pushing Packer out the door. MCK also needs a big season

I see yet another roster purge at the tail end of 2021.

@magpie1969 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307226) said:
@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307225) said:

I think with Tamou and Big O in our pack and injury free Twal I believe the others will step up. I see Amore signing as pushing Packer out the door. MCK also needs a big season.

Packer and MCK are both off contract at seasons end. It's not a case of pushing them out the door, their contract simply won't be renewed.

Back