Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I would love us to sign some decent backrowers and a speedy back.
I was thinking about Cowboy's Hamiso (the hammer).
He is having trouble displacing Hiku who is in great form.
I know the hammer, who is was a cowboy junior, is signed for 2023 but I was wondering what or if there is any good will regarding the early release of Lucy to them.
The downside is Hiku is 31? The Hammer is 21?
I think it would be hard to extract him from Townsville unless they have cap issues trying to retain players 🤔
We should definitely be having a crack at the hammer. Give him a chance to shine with us. Would 600k get us a seat at the table?

Could also see us make a play for Sloan at the Dragons, but we really need an established star.

Do your recruiting in the shadows not in the public forum. Benji doesn't need to feed the news trolls, he needs to understands what works.....Big, fast aggressive forward pack to lay the foundations and works hard in defense so your halves and backs benefit off the back of that......not hard to figure out especially if you are a former half.....get your forward pack right first period.
Now all they need to do is to get the roster to match that vision for the future.
Easy ….. NOT!

Marshall is set to immediately escalate his involvement in the club by having a decisive say in the futures of Tigers stars Luke Brooks, Adam Doueihi and Jackson Hastings as he and Sheens prepare to sit down for contract talks with the trio over the next month.

Sheens confirmed Marshall would be extensively consulted about players whose contracts would carry over into 2025, when the Tigers legend is set to take over the coaching reins from his former long-time mentor.

Brooks, Doueihi and Hastings enter the final year of their existing deals on November 1 and any extension to those contracts would likely seep into Marshall’s first year in charge. It means Marshall will hold significant sway in discussions over whether to keep the players or cut them loose at the end of next year.

Revelations of Marshall’s increased involvement in contract talks come as he steps away from his media duties to focus on his coaching career, and Sheens prepares to have lunch with Gould.

The pair agreed to meet to discuss helping out a former teammate but the expectation is that there will be plenty of wheeling and dealing during their time together given the respective state of their rosters.

Canterbury have been linked with Hastings, Brooks and Doueihi in recent months but their plans to tinker with their roster have been slowed by their failure to secure a head coach for next season.

Marshall has already taken an active role in recruitment, having reached out to Parramatta forward Isaiah Papali’i to assuage his concerns about his impending switch of clubs.

He may have his work cut out to do the same with Brooks, whose future has been under a microscope for months amid interest from elsewhere, most notably Newcastle.

The Knights will be watching developments at the Tigers closely given they retain an interest in Brooks, having lost the fight for Anthony Milford to the Dolphins.

Brooks’ contract soars into seven-figure territory next year and the Knights would rely on the Tigers supplementing any deal if he was to join Newcastle next season.

The final decision is likely to rest with Marshall and Brooks. It is believed that Sheens wants Brooks to stay but it may take Marshall to convince the halfback that the Tigers would be the best move for his future given the criticism that has shadowed the No.7 in recent months.

Brooks aside, Doueihi is clearly a priority for the club while Hastings may choose to look elsewhere given he has been moved to lock in recent weeks.

Fullback Daine Laurie also enters the final year of his deal on November 1 and the Tigers need to make a decision on whether to offer him a fresh deal. (DT)

With better players in the team they will succeed. Completely agree.

But couldn’t you say that about Brooks too?
of course but 9 years Brooks has had with some good players around him at times and still no finals.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind Brooks as he is a good player I just think he is gone stale. He consistently makes errors that a top line player should not be making E.g. Kicks out on the full, last tackle options / kicks going nowhere , doesn't control a team like a halfback should.
He has great speed and tackles very well for a 7 but I think a change of teams would do him wonders for his confidence.
If we keep him and with this new up tempo style of play planned he may do excellent and I would be cheering him regardless as all I want is our team to succeed.

He consistently makes errors that a top line player should not be making E.g. Kicks out on the full, last tackle options / kicks going nowhere , doesn't control a team like a halfback should.

So do most halves including top players. Look at good old Cleary in SOO. He was terrible. Luiai is worse.

I don't know what to do about our halves. I don't want us to go to market. I'd rather go to market for a gun fullback. I also think Hastings is a better 7 and Doueihi is a better 6.

9. Api
7. Hastings
6. Doueihi
1. Suallii/Manu/Latrell/Tommy Turbo --> a big fullback who can light us up.

The problem is I don't know where we can get a fullback like that. Signing any of those players would be extremely difficult.

Laurie to me is similar to Brooks. They are both decent players but I'm not convinced they are good enough to play in the spine of a team that can win the comp.

The problem is we'd still have to get out forwards right but I think they can do that.

So do most halves including top players. Look at good old Cleary in SOO. He was terrible. Luiai is worse.

I don't know what to do about our halves. I don't want us to go to market. I'd rather go to market for a gun fullback. I also think Hastings is a better 7 and Doueihi is a better 6.

9. Api
7. Hastings
6. Doueihi
1. Suallii/Manu/Latrell/Tommy Turbo --> a big fullback who can light us up.

The problem is I don't know where we can get a fullback like that. Signing any of those players would be extremely difficult.

Laurie to me is similar to Brooks. They are both decent players but I'm not convinced they are good enough to play in the spine of a team that can win the comp.

The problem is we'd still have to get out forwards right but I think they can do that.
Agree we need a top line fullback as we already have 6,7,9 covered either way.
With Laurie I am not sure if its 2nd year drop off or Injury or just not a top line full back but for me I want a Fullback that averages like 150-200m a game and been involved and not 100-120m like Laurie. Maybe because our forwards get pushed back he doesn't get the time to get meters like most fullbacks. IDK but Forwards and a top FB is a massive want for me.

The Tigers are set to enter discussions with out of favour Panthers winger Charlie Staines about a switch to Concord.

Staines is contracted to the Panthers for 2023, but has fallen down the pecking order at Penrith behind Taylan May and Origin star Brian To’o.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio reported on Triple M that the Tigers are interested in Staines to boost their wing and fullback stocks.

“The Tigers are having a good look at Charlie Staines the Panthers flyer,” Riccio said on Triple M.

“He is an absolute speedster. He has been playing on the wing. He has scored 22 tries in 32 games. He has got a phenomenal strike rate.

“This would be a play from the Tigers just to add a little more potency and speed to the backline.

“But Staines also has an ambition to play fullback. The Tigers still haven’t locked down their fullback in Daine Laurie.

“Charlie Staines and the Tigers are set to have discussions in relation to moving to Concord.

“He is on contract at the Panthers next season, so he would have to get an early release, but don’t rule it out.”

The 21-year-old scored 14 tries in 21 games last season, but missed out on the Panthers grand final side and has only scored twice in nine games this year.

The Tigers are set to enter discussions with out of favour Panthers winger Charlie Staines about a switch to Concord.

Staines is contracted to the Panthers for 2023, but has fallen down the pecking order at Penrith behind Taylan May and Origin star Brian To’o.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio reported on Triple M that the Tigers are interested in Staines to boost their wing and fullback stocks.

“The Tigers are having a good look at Charlie Staines the Panthers flyer,” Riccio said on Triple M.

“He is an absolute speedster. He has been playing on the wing. He has scored 22 tries in 32 games. He has got a phenomenal strike rate.

“This would be a play from the Tigers just to add a little more potency and speed to the backline.

“But Staines also has an ambition to play fullback. The Tigers still haven’t locked down their fullback in Daine Laurie.

“Charlie Staines and the Tigers are set to have discussions in relation to moving to Concord.

“He is on contract at the Panthers next season, so he would have to get an early release, but don’t rule it out.”

The 21-year-old scored 14 tries in 21 games last season, but missed out on the Panthers grand final side and has only scored twice in nine games this year.

No.

Only if he brings Spencer Leniu with him.

I'm not angry, just miffed why we keep on getting stung with rubbish stories.

Journos know that Tiger's supporters are easy clickbait, but this ongoing narrative needs to change.
I will point out one thing - if you click on these types of stories, if you read them, if you complain about them... well that's exactly the intended outcome of clickbait.

So assuming that the Tigers will never be able to completely stem the tide of stories being released, because Tigers are always big news (for bad or good), then the main thing that Tigers fans can do is not click on clickbait, and help stem the demand for rubbish stories.

I will point out one thing - if you click on these types of stories, if you read them, if you complain about them... well that's exactly the intended outcome of clickbait.

So assuming that the Tigers will never be able to completely stem the tide of stories being released, because Tigers are always big news (for bad or good), then the main thing that Tigers fans can do is not click on clickbait, and help stem the demand for rubbish stories.
No I don't do that, I rely on the intelligent folks on our forum.

I think Tigers will get him.

Back