Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I’m starting to suspect Sheens has been saying we are keeping Brooks to increase the price Newcastle pay for him and lessen the dead money we retain. There’s whispers Laurie will be “cover” in the halves next year. Staines was a fullback coming through and there’s rumours the swap with Penrith is on. I wonder if Sheens and Gould discussed this at their recent meeting? Gould has been open in saying he thinks Laurie’s best position is 5/8, and he would know a lot about Staines from his time at Penrith.
I starting to think the same... AD and Daine in the halves with Hastings running the show from 13.. This is a sheen move having 2 five eights to cause havoc and we just need a strong forward pack to make it happen..

I know it's the slimmest of chances but if by some miracle Munster decided to come to the Tigers (nostalgia for his Q-cup team perhaps) then I could see a backline like this:

1. Munster
2. Nofo
3. Naden
4. Doueihi
5. Staines
6. Laurie
7. Brooks

With Hastings at 13 playing the traditional half-back/first receiver role, we ostensibly have 2 five-eighths, one on either side of the ruck. If that's the case then Munster can chime in anywhere he sees fit. Could be revolutionary.

Again, I don't think Munster is coming here, but it made me think that this shuffle shows we may have the game plan and personnel or are very close to it. If Munster doesn't come, do we go for RTS who may be back from rugby very soon? The Benji/NZ connection is powerful. Or even bring Tedesco home? Or Sloan? If we leave Doueihi at 6 then we need a strike centre.

Plus with Api at 9, Paps in the second row, Stef back at his best and Joe O continueing his form, we really only need one prop and one second row forward to balance us out. Twal/Pole/Musgrove and Blore can fill those roles in the meantime. Thoughts?
If by some slim chance Munster was to come here it would be on his terms I reckon, if he wants to play ⅝ so be it.

I have a sneaky feeling AD will become our halfback. Wants his hands on the ball more than anyone else and wants to dictate plays. He is an organising half he just is in the body of a backrower / centre.
He came into grade in the 7 and frankly he hasn’t looked better than when he plays at first receiver.
If we are after Munster. That combination could really work well.

Not even a decent 5/8 yet - now he’s a halfback 😂😂😂

Not even a decent 5/8 yet - now he’s a halfback 😂😂😂
He doesn't have any of the attributes of a halfback imo, to slow, cant tackle, too tall. A half really needs to be like a hooker in the mould of Souths and Panthers hookers... They play very similar roles.

I read at the start of the season, so cant remember the exact details. But, i think it was, he broke his leg pretty bad during contract negotiations when at the Tigers. It was expected to be a long recovery with no guarantee he would get back to his best. 3 months later his leg was healed, and he was playing Aus Rugby Schoolboys and got signed by Souths.
The fact we thought it was so bad yet it clearly wasn't suggests that once again our medical team just isn't up to scratch. They really don't seem to know what they're doing

Last edited:
I’m starting to suspect Sheens has been saying we are keeping Brooks to increase the price Newcastle pay for him and lessen the dead money we retain. There’s whispers Laurie will be “cover” in the halves next year. Staines was a fullback coming through and there’s rumours the swap with Penrith is on. I wonder if Sheens and Gould discussed this at their recent meeting? Gould has been open in saying he thinks Laurie’s best position is 5/8, and he would know a lot about Staines from his time at Penrith.
Tim Sheens holds the highest position in the footballing dept. at WTs and has made at least two public statements on Brooks. Why would he undermine his own authority by doing what you are suggestiing? Your post is based on rumour, whereas Sheens has made public statements.

I agree.
Sheens may be old and has been out of the NRL for years but he knows how to play the game. He’s no idiot.

Tim Sheens holds the highest position in the footballing dept. at WTs and has made at least two public statements on Brooks. Why would he undermine his own authority by doing what you are suggestiing? Your post is based on rumour, whereas Sheens has made public statements.
Yes Sheens has made it clear he wants Brooks but wants him to sign a new 3 year contract which is in effect a 2 year extension .Dont know the exact figure but he won't be the million dollar man . Brooks has 3 options accept the new deal , just play out his existing contract to end 2023 or accept new deal at Newcastle .Where we get someone our way as compensation .
Point is Brooks is in driver seat while he has this very high value remaining but a year from now he has no chips left to bargain with

A Brooks and Frizzell swap in my opinion is a win/win to both sides plus I really want to see Brooks in another environment to he can show the NRL Public what he has got or not.

I would be fine for the right money to give brothers and former WT players Andrew and David Fifita a one year deal and a second year in the clubs favour as they seem obtainable.

Would rather have Klemmer and Lodge but can't see both leaving their current clubs especially Lodge now he is in the hands of Uncle Nick.

I am sure there are some hidden gems in other teams State Cup Teams that have their NRL pathways block like Dean Hawkins (Souths Half Back who top the stats in 4 categories) and Kayal Iro (Centre/Winger who appears to top all the important stats. Son of Kevin Iro).

Last edited:
Back