Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We all talk about who should be signed and who should be let go.
The one person that has the power to make and break a clubs growth has survived for the majority of our club’s pathetic recent history.
For the majority of the last 12 years dishing out embarrassing seasons, allowing top line players to walk, coach sackings, media leaks, poor recruitment and having the clubs integrity torn apart for it........Justin Pascoe remains at the helm.
Why?
Where is the justification of this mans role in the club.
I always hear it’s a results driven business when they sack a coach, if so he should have been looking for another job 3 years ago.
He is a good administrator, funding for the COE, more investment from wests and financials of the club are a world away from where he started.

He just doesn’t know about football - thankfully now he has passed on that baton.

Penrith have shown the blue print to be successful in the current era.

You need a pack that can dominate and an intelligent lock who can be the link between the forwards and the backs.

WT really need to sign Klemmer, Lodge, Fifita, Toupow who all are tough nuts and NRL experienced to lead the pack and frighten the opposition.

Without one or two of the above mentioned players, 2023 will be another long season for WT and their fans.

Cloudyglock I’m sure if you know we should be able to know or are you some one special 7 to 10 days , please , out with mate why hold out , comps over , players who sign off contract are fine to do so , and if they are under contract they would have permission from current club , out with champ

You need a pack that can dominate and an intelligent lock who can be the link between the forwards and the backs.

WT really need to sign Klemmer, Lodge, Fifita, Toupow who all are tough nuts and NRL experienced to lead the pack and frighten the opposition.

Without one or two of the above mentioned players, 2023 will be another long season for WT and their fans.
Marty is a mercenary who's best is gone I wouldn't go anywhere near him now. Fifita would be great to get stuck in to our blokes who are not aiming up if he could stay on the field but the poor bloke can hardly get a run up. Klemmer and Lodge both offer plenty of what we need just don't know if we are what they are looking for in a club.

I want them to discover a couple of stars eg a Nanai ,Sualii like Nicco was discovered .
The Tigers had that before letting Hartigan go, only to replace him with Sheens who we all know his track record with recruitment & retention. The Tigers have gone from one of best recruiters in Qld to possibly the worst with their jobs for mates program.

Hoping tigers are in market for a full back, feels like Laurie has peaked imo. Might do the job for next year but we must be in the hunt still after missing latrell.
I am hoping it is Sloane,apparently was in talks with Redcliffe but didn’t want to leave Sydney.

Watching the Penrith lower grade team I thought Preston Riki (106kg Second Rower) and Eddie Blacker (116kg Prop) might be worth looking at.

We need players who come from a successful culture like Penrith to rub off on WT players.
Blacker met with the Tigers before he signed with the Dragons when he left Brisbane

I would say that we are a very big chance of signing none of them

The 28-year-old was given a private tour of the Tigers’ impressive new Concord facility last week as they try to lure him to the joint-venture club. The Tigers are considering offering Klemmer, who at his peak was considered the best prop forward in the competition, another two years on top of his contract for next year.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald that the Canterbury Bulldogs have also expressed interest in Klemmer returning to the club he debuted with in 2013.
The Newcastle Knights are open to releasing Klemmer from the final year of his deal even though he won the club’s players’ player award at the their end-of-season awards night.

The Tigers are adamant Klemmer’s potential arrival at the club is not part of a swap deal for halfback Luke Brooks, who at this stage remains a key part of new coach Tim Sheens’ plans next year.
The Knights have been circling Brooks for the past 12 months but the Tigers haven’t budged. They rejected release requests from Brooks’ management last year.

Brooks is coming into the final season of his four-year deal with the Tigers. The contract was designed to gradually increase in salary each year, with the embattled No.7 set to earn almost $1.1m in 2023.
Sheens has a big decision to make during the summer as he mulls over his starting halves with Jackson Hastings, Adam Doueihi and Brooks all contending for two positions.

The Bulldogs have also shown interest in Klemmer’s services, however they will have to offload players to accommodate the former NSW and Australian forward in an already stretched salary cap.
Like Brooks, Klemmer is in the final year of a four-year deal with the Knights. His final year is worth about $800,000. He joined the Knights from the Bulldogs in 2020, but is open to returning to Belmore despite leaving on a sour note under the club’s previous administration.

Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo want to bring back some Bulldogs DNA to the club and have discussed Klemmer’s return. It comes as the club signed off on a 12-week train-and-trial contract for cult hero Josh Reynolds.
Reynolds, who is the godfather to one of Klemmer’s four children, remains close friends with his former teammate. Klemmer’s position at the Knights was placed under the microscope towards the end of the season when club powerbrokers privately manoeuvred to have the front-rower sacked for an on-field verbal altercation with trainer Hayden Knowles.

As per SMH

Yes please. Brings two things this team lacks: aggression and go forward. Averages just under 160m a game and is a solid defender to boot.

Sign him and Lodge. Add that to Stef, Pole and Joe and we are sorted for props

Cloudyglock I’m sure if you know we should be able to know or are you some one special 7 to 10 days , please , out with mate why hold out , comps over , players who sign off contract are fine to do so , and if they are under contract they would have permission from current club , out with champ
Hanging out for the English version of this

Newcastle are going to be losing a few players who aren't too happy with how things are up there, I'd expect us to grab one or two of them and there's probably a player or two we will release also. With the World Cup coming that will probably slow down player movements for some but there are fringe players who will be on the move

My guess is he/she’s taking a punt

It wasnt quite that simple and I’m sure that wasn’t just Pascoes call.

Correct - It was a rubbish narrative....
The club couldn't keep a coach who's intention it was to leave - No one hear would have swallowed it if we did.
Bennett wasn't coming for a season later.... Broncos shafted him after we got Maguire.

The situation was handled by the club as good as it could have been at the time.

Back