Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Why are people worried about Brooks, AD and Hastings not rushing to sign again with us?

We got the wooden spoon
We we’re lapped by the Roosters
We were going backwards under Maguire
We went backwards quicker under Kimmorley (expected)

I can’t remember the last time Brooks had a 5 star performance at half back

AD had a few starring highlights in some games and some below par performances (sometimes in the same game)

Hastings looks like a decent organiser on the field but is very slow for a half. Coming back from a broken leg will he lose another metre of pace? I think he plays in halves as a last resort.

In summary, Brooks and AD are on very good money and want more while Hastings is after a pay rise too.

We are wooden spooners

They each played quite a few games. Brooks and AD are not worth the money they are currently on, let alone an pay rise.

Why are people worried about Brooks, AD and Hastings not rushing to sign again with us?

We got the wooden spoon
We we’re lapped by the Roosters
We were going backwards under Maguire
We went backwards quicker under Kimmorley (expected)

I can’t remember the last time Brooks had a 5 star performance at half back

AD had a few starring highlights in some games and some below par performances (sometimes in the same game)

Hastings looks like a decent organiser on the field but is very slow for a half. Coming back from a broken leg will he lose another metre of pace? I think he plays in halves as a last resort.

In summary, Brooks and AD are on very good money and want more while Hastings is after a pay rise too.

We are wooden spooners

They each played quite a few games. Brooks and AD are not worth the money they are currently on, let alone an pay rise.
Spot on. Couldn't have said it better

This is big trial year for these three players.

It won't be a trial year though if they sign with other clubs before the season starts.

We don't have the luxury of giving these guys 10 rounds and then choosing the 1-2 we want to persist with, as they will sign elsewhere. Knights, Bulldogs, Dolphins are heavily in the market for halves, and a few other clubs will keep one eye open.

This is big trial year for these three players.
Trial year? I doubt 1 isn’t signed for 24 before the 23 season starts be it with us or another club.

As to Sloths comments he makes zero sense given while back he said we started talks with Brooks and we have been told stuff has started with Hastings. Let alone according to him Brooks is gonski anyway.

He changes the rubbish he posts pending how the wind blows. He has zero interactions with most players he talks about.

It appears Adam Doueihi is likely to start at Centre. We know he is a big build and can break tackles, has a kicking game but lacks any genuine speed.

Can Doueihi play the role of a modern-day Michael Cronin (Eels 1980's Great) who was built the same and able to break tackles at will to set up his wingers for tries?

Naden would be my pick for the other Centre position. He has some quality about him but needs some polish. Has some pace and some size. Hope Ken is fully fit this season as appeared to be playing on one leg. Love to see him fully fit.

In relation to the halves resigning debate some forum members are having I agree that all three of them played in a team that got the wooden spoon and in my opinion only Hastings out of the three of them played well before injury. Brooks and AD need to step up. AD is turning 25 next year.

I am a huge Matt Burton fan and believe he is a player you can build a team around.

Burton has a bit of x factor about him plus footy intelligence and a winner so would be very happy to move players on to sign him up. I believe he could turn out to be an excellent full back as well as Centre and Five Eight.

It appears Adam Doueihi is likely to start at Centre. We know he is a big build and can break tackles, has a kicking game but lacks any genuine speed.

Can Doueihi play the role of a modern-day Michael Cronin (Eels 1980's Great) who was built the same and able to break tackles at will to set up his wingers for tries?

Naden would be my pick for the other Centre position. He has some quality about him but needs some polish. Has some pace and some size. Hope Ken is fully fit this season as appeared to be playing on one leg. Love to see him fully fit.

In relation to the halves resigning debate some forum members are having I agree that all three of them played in a team that got the wooden spoon and in my opinion only Hastings out of the three of them played well before injury. Brooks and AD need to step up. AD is turning 25 next year.

I am a huge Matt Burton fan and believe he is a player you can build a team around.

Burton has a bit of x factor about him plus footy intelligence and a winner so would be very happy to move players on to sign him up. I believe he could turn out to be an excellent full back as well as Centre and Five Eight.
Why is that likely?

The Bulldogs are furiously denying any suggestions that the retirement of club legend Josh Jackson was done to ease salary cap pressure.

It’s an interesting one because their general manager of football Phil Gould has to shed players at Belmore even with Jackson’s $650,000 contract coming out of the salary cap.

The likes of Luke Thompson, Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan are in the firing line.

The Bulldogs have added Billy Kikau (Panthers), Reed Mahoney (Eels), Ryan Sutton (Raiders), Andrew Davey (Sea Eagles), Hayze Perham and Franklin Pele (Cronulla) and Jacob Preston (Roosters).

They cannot have more than 30 players registered.

This is a situation the NRL will no doubt be monitoring. It’s a little bit murky because not even CEO Aaron Warburton or chairman John Khoury know exactly where their cap sits. They leave it all to Gus.

The Bulldogs are saying Jackson made the decision to retire and insist he wasn’t pushed. That after 11 seasons and 241 games his body could not cope with another 12 months of body contact.

It’s a huge call on his behalf to give up a wage of $650,000. It also gets tricky because Canterbury wants to give Jackson a job. He has a degree in exercise science.

Rival clubs are watching this one closely.

We’ve seen it happen before where clubs have encouraged players to retire to ease pressure on the salary cap and then employ them elsewhere in the business.

Clubs need the NRL’s permission to do so. (Slothy)
Surely clubs shouldn't be able to sign players UNLESS or until there is a position available.
So if you already have 28 players signed for the upcoming year, you should only be able to make 2 new signings until you are able to 'move on' one of the existing contracted players.

It won't be a trial year though if they sign with other clubs before the season starts.

We don't have the luxury of giving these guys 10 rounds and then choosing the 1-2 we want to persist with, as they will sign elsewhere. Knights, Bulldogs, Dolphins are heavily in the market for halves, and a few other clubs will keep one eye open.
I feel the same , We seem to get excited every time another player released to a new home . We even feel maybe our two players with a bit of class Jacko and AD are not that important . We seem to have enormous confidence that we will sign some superstars in Nov.
So far we've signed Api and Isaiah ( deal done Nov 2021) and now Charlie so what happens if Brooks ,Douehi and Hastings all announce new contracts for 2024 in the next few weeks at other clubs ?
I think we should not be releasing any more of our squad till we know for sure about incoming recruits .What if there are none of note
Our Roster of 26 already contains quite a few who have never performed at NRL level .I would try and extend AD and JH now

Surely clubs shouldn't be able to sign players UNLESS or until there is a position available.
So if you already have 28 players signed for the upcoming year, you should only be able to make 2 new signings until you are able to 'move on' one of the existing contracted players.
Clubs can sign as many as they like but you can only register 30,the dogs problem is they are overpaying duds like Thompson and nobody else wants them

Back