Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I always reckon the same but if you take a look at the 2005 GF backline it isn't really full of noted speedsters out wide. Brett Hodgson, Daniel Fitzhenry, Paul Whatuira, Shane Elford, Pat Richards, Benji Marshall, Scott Prince. The two fastest players in that team were the halves probably. Hodgson no slouch but not electric either and the outside backs were not quick at all. The difference being they all had the knack of being in the right place at the right time and played pretty flat which makes players look faster by taking time away from the defence. That team played up tempo footy without having speed to burn. Fast hands, fast between the ears, unpredicatable and a smaller, creative, mobile pack made the difference. A fast team without noted individual speedsters.
Agree, Benji and Prince ---- Hastings and AD, like comparing Ferraris to Combie vans.

We would not have got to the 2005 finals, with this pair, and the game is far quicker today. Sheens knows this, both WT and Raiders that he coached to premierships had great halves, has have all the great sides. I don't think Brooks, AD or Hastings are great , but of the three i would take Brooks.

Last edited:
There are words/rumours going around that Ken Maumalo might be forced to call it a day due to knee problems .. ?? So Jimmy (age 22) can slot in there, when and if Ken leaves .. ??

Dont worry about Jimmy Ngutlik not having played enough .. if he's got the talent and ya think he's good enough .. the Sheenius will give him a crack .. just like he did with this school kid they called .. Benji .. !! :unsure:;):unsure:
Hope Kenny can overcome his knee, blokes a real weapon even with one leg he was one of our better players

I want to see Hastings and AD given a chance. Everyone talks about them being slow but Brooks is quick and we've been terrible for years on end.

I'd prefer all our players to be quicker but it's only one aspect of playing footy.
And a greatly underestimated aspect in regards to 6 and 7.

Still sitting on the fence Earl,? Tell me how many good or great sides had slow halves?

Still sitting on the fence Earl,? Tell me how many good or great sides had slow halves?
Only 1 I can think of is the great Shane Perry Western suburbs Magpie legend and Brisbane Broncos 2006 number 7 grand final winner besides that I struggle to think of a half as bog average but he played in a absolutely cracking team

Only 1 I can think of is the great Shane Perry Western suburbs Magpie legend and Brisbane Broncos 2006 number 7 grand final winner besides that I struggle to think of a half as bog average but he played in a absolutely cracking team

If only every middle of the Road 7 could play in a side with 16 Origin Players every week....

Hard to believe - That 06 Broncos side ALL played Origin (Bar Perry)
Even Bloody David Staggs.

It's hard to answer the question on flow halves. I don't think Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis or Peter Sterling were fast.

I think our best option in the halves is Doueihi and Hastings. The thing is Staines or Laurie miss out on the fullback spot.

The alternative is Staines at 1, Laurie and Doueihi in the halves with Hastings as a ball playing lock who is really our 7. It might work but I think it's more risky than a Hastings/Doueihi combination.

I'm assuming Brooks is gone.

It's hard to answer the question on flow halves. I don't think Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis or Peter Sterling were fast.

I think our best option in the halves is Doueihi and Hastings. The thing is Staines or Laurie miss out on the fullback spot.

The alternative is Staines at 1, Laurie and Doueihi in the halves with Hastings as a ball playing lock who is really our 7. It might work but I think it's more risky than a Hastings/Doueihi combination.

I'm assuming Brooks is gone.

There's a real difference between not being 'fast' and being back rower 'slow'

Bateman to lock maybe?
Frizzel one edge, Paps on the other....

Why wouldn't Hasting go to 7 if Brooks is gone?

In the words of the immortal James Hooper - "The answer is a pineapple"

It makes no sense does it. Bateman is not a ball playing lock. He is a small aging edge backrower that for some reason we appear to be buying.

I hope I'm wrong or the rumours are false.

There's a real difference between not being 'fast' and being back rower 'slow'

The question itself is interesting. I mean Sterling was slow. Surely he was slower than Hastings. I don't think Lewis or Johns were quick. I suppose the issue with Hastings is that he doesn't really bust the line like Lewis or Johns could even if they were slow.

Bateman to lock maybe?
Frizzel one edge, Paps on the other....

Why wouldn't Hasting go to 7 if Brooks is gone?

In the words of the immortal James Hooper - "The answer is a pineapple"
I dunno. I know its all speculation, but cant discount that maybe the coach just doesn't like him. It happens. All out of my control.

Taking into account the players who have been moved on who were under contract, the retention of the core group of kids, on top of Api + Ice….adding Bateman and potentially Klemmer would make it the best recruitment/retention period the club has had for a period of time.
Bateman is the 23 version of Sattler in 03

Members online

Back