Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

At the very, very least you have to acknowledge it's possible Maguire wasn't a "perfectly good" coach. Identifying what was wrong with the Tigers last year doesn't have to be an either or - it's possible that other things were bad AND Maguire wasn't any use. I guess time will tell: if you're right I imagine he'll be snapped up by another club in due course and go on to be very successful. I have my doubts but I've been wrong before.

I'd be interested to hear who you think the Tigers should have signed. Because you're sort of restricted in who you can sign to (a) players that are available and (b) no-one. Have a look here: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/37529-2023-nrl-player-movements/ Which club would you say is picking up all the players we've missed out on? Because it looks to me like there are about 6-10 genuinely high-profile player moves and we've done two or perhaps three of them. Do you think the Dragons (Liddle, Musgrove and Nick Lui-Toso) feel they've recruited better than the Tigers? How about the Knights (Jack Hetherington, Tyson Gamble, Jackson Hastings and Adam Elliott)? Souths (none)? Or the Storm (Tariq Sims, Joe Chan, Eliesa Katoa and Aaron Pene)?
I don’t know how to compartmentalise our poor performance by saying other clubs are worse?
But I’ll have a go...The chooks can fit 3 world class fullbacks into one team. We cannot fit 3 average halves into one?

First of all, apologies for the long post below as I do not get to post often for various reasons. Following on from that, I have just caught up on the forum and... wow.

Anyway.

Matamua upgrade today had nothing to do with 'missing out' on anyone. Sheens has been really impressed with Matamua and his attitude throughout the year - despite being thrown into the deep end. Believes he possess all the skills of a modern 13. It is also an endorsement to the junior pathways and all the boys in the lower grades looking to progress.

Bateman deal is all but going ahead as planned. Only the formalities to sort out at this stage. Should be an announcement within a week but don't hold me to that as the timing is guesswork on my part (based on where it is at).

Don't have much on the Moses meeting as it is very much under wraps, not many details outside of the absolute inner circle. However, there have been many talks between Benji and Moses. Personally, I believe this is very 50/50 at the moment with Parra and Tigers. Dogs little chance right now. Having said that, my belief was that Moses was 100% staying at Parra about a month ago. Take that as you will... The Brooks 180, Hastings moving and reluctance for re-signing Doueihi is not without reason. If Moses falls through, there are other options. As for those hoping for Teddy, forget about it. He has made it clear he is above the Tigers.

The player unhappy with the Hastings decision is not Laurie. Although Laurie is not entirely comfortable with his current contract position as he is looking to extend but the club does not want to offer a long term deal as of yet. It should make for interesting competition between Staines and Laurie.

On Woods, not sure if it is just me but I personally have not heard anything about Woods coming back? Thinking that is just media and fans making assumptions?

The Nanai offer was not the Tigers, i'm fairly well informed (as the club probably is) that he is not looking to move from the Cowboys, however i'm sure he's using the interest from other clubs to maximise his offer from the Cowboys.

In terms of pre-season, hearing the young guys are really impressing. I saw that someone has already alluded to it but Tumeth will likely come into grade into the centres, spend sometime there before he fills out and moves to the second row. The two that have really stood out for Sheens are Talau and Blore. Talau will join Blore in the backrow. He has shown a tremendous attitude since his injury, stayed fit and has taken the move really well, transforming his body to suit a move to the forwards. I have made comment previously but think that Talau will be the breakout player this season. Having watched him closely in the juniors, his footwork, ball work and speed will really suit a middle or edge role. Think a large 5/8 playing at 13. He also played some 13 in the junior rep games, particularly junior schoolboys.

Finally, posted a while ago that the club was headed in the right direction back when things were looking fairly bleak after the spoon. Great to see that Sheens and the club have followed through and the club legitimately looks like it's on the up.
Thanks cctw for a great post .So good after all the crape we have had to read lately .By the way when do you sleep

Going off the most recent update from @CCTW specifically about Blore and Talau, would not surprise me if in the early stages of the season at least, we go with Bateman assuming he signs and either Blore or Talau in the backrow. Papali'i at 13 give the kid a bit more time to develop and bring him along slowly. Papali'i speculated he wanted to play through the middle anyway.
I'd still keep Talau in the centres- can develop under Sheens a Wighton type of centre (strong, dent the line and set up the winger) - improve the defense and I think he can be a real asset this year IMO.

First of all, apologies for the long post below as I do not get to post often for various reasons. Following on from that, I have just caught up on the forum and... wow.

Anyway.

Matamua upgrade today had nothing to do with 'missing out' on anyone. Sheens has been really impressed with Matamua and his attitude throughout the year - despite being thrown into the deep end. Believes he possess all the skills of a modern 13. It is also an endorsement to the junior pathways and all the boys in the lower grades looking to progress.

Bateman deal is all but going ahead as planned. Only the formalities to sort out at this stage. Should be an announcement within a week but don't hold me to that as the timing is guesswork on my part (based on where it is at).

Don't have much on the Moses meeting as it is very much under wraps, not many details outside of the absolute inner circle. However, there have been many talks between Benji and Moses. Personally, I believe this is very 50/50 at the moment with Parra and Tigers. Dogs little chance right now. Having said that, my belief was that Moses was 100% staying at Parra about a month ago. Take that as you will... The Brooks 180, Hastings moving and reluctance for re-signing Doueihi is not without reason. If Moses falls through, there are other options. As for those hoping for Teddy, forget about it. He has made it clear he is above the Tigers.

The player unhappy with the Hastings decision is not Laurie. Although Laurie is not entirely comfortable with his current contract position as he is looking to extend but the club does not want to offer a long term deal as of yet. It should make for interesting competition between Staines and Laurie.

On Woods, not sure if it is just me but I personally have not heard anything about Woods coming back? Thinking that is just media and fans making assumptions?

The Nanai offer was not the Tigers, i'm fairly well informed (as the club probably is) that he is not looking to move from the Cowboys, however i'm sure he's using the interest from other clubs to maximise his offer from the Cowboys.

In terms of pre-season, hearing the young guys are really impressing. I saw that someone has already alluded to it but Tumeth will likely come into grade into the centres, spend sometime there before he fills out and moves to the second row. The two that have really stood out for Sheens are Talau and Blore. Talau will join Blore in the backrow. He has shown a tremendous attitude since his injury, stayed fit and has taken the move really well, transforming his body to suit a move to the forwards. I have made comment previously but think that Talau will be the breakout player this season. Having watched him closely in the juniors, his footwork, ball work and speed will really suit a middle or edge role. Think a large 5/8 playing at 13. He also played some 13 in the junior rep games, particularly junior schoolboys.

Finally, posted a while ago that the club was headed in the right direction back when things were looking fairly bleak after the spoon. Great to see that Sheens and the club have followed through and the club legitimately looks like it's on the up.
Cheers for the update.

No offer to nanai, thought that was the case, can't see him leaving NQ. Hopefully woods is never going to happen. Interested to know what the backup plan is if Moses doesn't return.

I don’t know how to compartmentalise our poor performance by saying other clubs are worse?
But I’ll have a go...The chooks can fit 3 world class fullbacks into one team. We cannot fit 3 average halves into one?
You were talking about recruitment this offseason, though. The Tigers can't fix all the mistakes that have left them with a bad roster - they can only start getting things right to improve in future. You said the recruitment is still poor, as in now. That's the point I'm disputing, on the basis that we have recruited well out of the players that are available.

You've sort of answered your own question at the end, too. Why would we, or anyone else, want to fit three "average" halves into a team? We're not going to build a successful side by stockpiling average players.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with your original point, which was that we have recruited badly. If you actually look at player movements this offseason it's pretty blindingly obvious that we've done extremely well out of what was actually available.

If you look at the last few years Bateman would of been garunteed a run on spot even in poor form. Definite upgrade not lucky dip imo
Bateman hates to Loose from what I hear.

We could do with a hard trainer and a change in attitude.

This will help the younger forwards in the squad

You were talking about recruitment this offseason, though. The Tigers can't fix all the mistakes that have left them with a bad roster - they can only start getting things right to improve in future. You said the recruitment is still poor, as in now. That's the point I'm disputing, on the basis that we have recruited well out of the players that are available.

You've sort of answered your own question at the end, too. Why would we, or anyone else, want to fit three "average" halves into a team? We're not going to build a successful side by stockpiling average players.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with your original point, which was that we have recruited badly. If you actually look at player movements this offseason it's pretty blindingly obvious that we've done extremely well out of what was actually available.
Agreed. In addition, the excellent work done in the junior space especially retrieving all our good young U15s players from the Eels and Roosters should be included. We want the young players in the South West, Macarthur and Inner West to play for WTs.

Anyway.

Thanks for the intel.

I certify this "NOT RANCID."

Sheens has already created the situation where his tenure won't matter in relation to him keeping his job assuming something drastic doesn't occur.

The problem is I bet we've blown a big chunk of our cap and we don't have any gun players in our outside backs or spine excluding Api. We are going to need to recruit or develop some players to compete for the comp which we should be aiming for.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years. I can't wait for the season to start.
U got to be kidding , how the hell have we blown our cap , we have added 3 gun forwards and also Bateman to come . Our forwards or lack of forwards last year was our downfall , and we have improved that problem yes we could do with some backs but Rome was not built in a day a week or a year , sheens and co have a plan and it is taking shape , at least let them go around for a year before going of .

Agreed. In addition, the excellent work done in the junior space especially retrieving all our good young U15s players from the Eels and Roosters should be included. We want the young players in the South West, Macarthur and Inner West to play for WTs.
This has to be the priority, if we can get our junior development done right and keep the guys coming through, then we will have a never ending flow of talent trickling into the squad who want to play for the Tigers every year or two we would be debuting new talent.

I can't see Tumeth ever playing centre, at any grade. It would indeed be like putting Lovett back there. He'd make Garner look like Addo Carr. He's a very solid prospect but he also played a fair bit of prop last season, how many players transition from prop to centre?

Interesting situation if we sign Bateman. Suddenly we'd have 2 80 minute back rowers there, and if Talau and Blore are really impressing then there's limited opportunities for them. Blore could become prop number 6 in our rotation. Though I am all for Talau starting the first 10 games in NSW cup to get acquainted with the new position and build fitness and confidence in his body

Agree, but who's responsibility is it for the halfback to be able to kick from further down the pitch.
The backs. They're the ones who work out out from our own end.

On the other hand if our defence was stronger and we could keep our opponents kicking from inside their 40 then we'd be in a position to utilise our forwards more

Back