Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I thought the same thing last season. It's the same problem as Brooks albeit Brooks has been here a lot longer and had a lot more chances.

These guys need to step up and maybe they just don't have it in them.

I can't stand Turdhead but he was a gun when we were poor. Korobiete and JAC were the same.

You've sort of explained the issue with AD wanting more money. He is asking for more money off the back of poor performances. If he kills it next year and wants an upgrade good on him.

I think it's tough on AD for 22 coming off his Knee injury and heading into the storm at the time but also get it from a cash reported ask stand point & the year he had regardless of injury comeback.

I actually think he would've been better off being rested for the rest of the year and start 23 fresh.

For me ad needs to do what is best for the team. He missed most of the year with a busted knee the club stuck by him. I don’t recall him once comming out and backing the club saying there is good times ahead and I’m looking forward to repaying them for backing me. all you hear is him demanding to play 5/8 and asking a ridiculous price of $800 000 a year after playing 7 or so games this year and missing no joke 20 tackles that led to try’s. I’m a fan of him and think he can be a great 5/8 and he has a lot of potential but I just wish he would vocally back this club and say I’ll play where ever Is best for the team.
Well said. If you watched the recent segment with Benji and jp, it was about the team mantra. If you read between the lines, they implied that about Jacko. But you could see that selfishness from AD too in the way he demanded to play in the halves, despite most comentators seeing him as a centre. maybe part of why he hasnt been offered a deal.

Can't wrap my head around why people care so much how AD values himself

If he really wants 900k let the kid play out the year and see if he justifies that price tag (most likely won't even with the cap increase) - if he can get that elsewhere good on him I wouldn't be angry at him leaving if he could get that....

Now most likely he won't and his price tag will have to be lowered as no one will offer close to that and that's when the real talks will start.... you can tell AD loves the club and winning games changes everything let's just see it all play out

However the hate here for AD is defs pointed at the wrong direction, him and Joffa were our best players last year but mentally you can see AD was a little defeated last year towards the end with the coach sacking (he was a fan of Madge), ACL recovery (2nd time) and consistently losing, Brooks and Hastings both going down injured and hear in the media about how Hastings and AD may be on the chopping block - with our new boys coming in and a change of culture with Sheens, Benji and Farah following under a full pre season healthy I reckon AD is gonna turn some heads and personally can't wait to see it.... he'll suprise a few next season I reckon
I don’t think anyone is angry. They just think he’s dreaming and at that price are as happy as you are to let him walk.

I don’t think anyone is angry. They just think he’s dreaming and at that price are as happy as you are to let him walk.
I don’t even think it’s a case of let him walk. Just offer what you think is fair and that’s it, take it or leave it.

He can ask for whatever he wants but when no one pays it he will have to take the best offer and no one is paying $900k.

Hopefully, if they think he’s ready by then.

He has a confirmed Top 30 contract in 2024, so the club rates him very highly.

Scored 30 tries in 21 games across Harold Matt’s and SG Ball, the kid is a freak.
Certainly knows how to find a try line! Good show of speed and strength from what I have seen. You would think the Sheens skills based philosophy will help him develop the other aspects of his game offensively. Would then just come down to if he stacks up defensively to have a crack at NRL level.

I don’t even think it’s a case of let him walk. Just offer what you think is fair and that’s it, take it or leave it.

He can ask for whatever he wants but when no one pays it he will have to take the best offer and no one is paying $900k.
Goes without saying…

Sorry to disagree but Hastings and Douhie didn't have any game breaker attributes apart from Douhie catching bombs and scoring from centre.

Douhies cut out passes and bombs are skilful but his cut out passes go to a winger who is already marked and his bombs go randomly( opposite of what Cleary did to Waqa Blake when he peppered him strategically).

Hastings was a good leader but he was slow and defences read him pretty well at the end.

Laurie has heart and has some good skill but he gets lazy in defence when he's caught out often and he never follows the forwards in the middle. How many times was there a potential offload or break and Laurie was no where to be seen? To be a top fullback there is no slacking off ever.

They aren't the worse but they need to up their game exponentially if they ant to play deep in the finals.
Playing behind a beaten pack exposes all the frailties of smaller creative players. And they are there because at the end of the day big man on small man is an easy contest. It’s physics. But with forward momentum and space it becomes a fair contest. You watch the improvements in Peacheys game when he arrives back at Penrith.

The club is backing Brooks because they’ve seen his form when he had better players around him. I hope AD shows us this year that he too is an NRL quality player. Sign Bateman FFS.

For me ad needs to do what is best for the team. He missed most of the year with a busted knee the club stuck by him. I don’t recall him once comming out and backing the club saying there is good times ahead and I’m looking forward to repaying them for backing me. all you hear is him demanding to play 5/8 and asking a ridiculous price of $800 000 a year after playing 7 or so games this year and missing no joke 20 tackles that led to try’s. I’m a fan of him and think he can be a great 5/8 and he has a lot of potential but I just wish he would vocally back this club and say I’ll play where ever Is best for the team.
There are some better players than him like Manu and Staggs who have similarly gone on record saying they want to play other positions (say fullback or 5/8) but difference is they aren’t sooking in the meantime. They are playing centre as it’s currently what’s best for the team and doing their best to put runs on the board with consistent good performances to keep pressing their case and justify a pay upgrade as well.

Well, a guy at poker last night knows Farah apparently . . . . and he said that our halves are sorted . . . AD and Brooks.
Also said that Hastings had a way to grate people the wrong way, thinking he knew best all the time and he wanted things done his way. Everyone grew tired of him fairly quickly.
Think of that what you will, but there are some dots there that connect.
How good is my oil ? I'd say a semi-synthetic 5W-30, mid price range.

Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" is not a good thing.
I like to play props at prop, edges to edges and a lock till death us part 🤣
Brooks and AD in the halves.
If bateman comes he and papa will be our edges imo. Stef, Api and klem middles with a few goodins on the bench.

There was chatter Papali'i wanted to play in the middle 13 im guessing, so he could be tried there. I'd like him on an edge but he is an option i guess, I don't see Bateman at all as a lock he's a bona fide edge player.
Joffa could fill a hole at lock but he's not ideal there he's a prop imo, there was the interesting talk of Pole training on an edge i dont hate that idea it could work. Then theres also Blore he's an unknown quantity with his injuries is he an edge or a middle now who knows.
I still think we will be on the look out for a lock if one becomes available but i dont think they will row the boat out for one.

Well, a guy at poker last night knows Farah apparently . . . .
Also said that Hastings had a way to grate people the wrong way, thinking he knew best all the time and he wanted things done his way. Everyone grew tired of him fairly quickly.
I've always liked Farah but I can't help but note the irony in him of all people making that observation.

I've always liked Farah but I can't help but note the irony in him of all people making that observation.

I have never doubted Robbies love for the club just his judgement at times.If ever a man deserved to retire a 1 club man it was him.JT would be the one man i despise more than any other who has been involved at our club even "tanker' moses

Just spitballing here guys. If we're balls deep in the market for a halfback/5-8 for 2024, it looks our best off-contract options are:

Mitch Moses, Dylan Brown, Ezra Mam (as a potential star) & perhaps a greater chance for George Williams in 2024 (than 23).

Now if we miss any of the above, do we focus on within (Brooks-Laurie or Brooks-Doeuihi combo) AND sign either Kurt Falls or Brandon Wakeham as our 30th player for '23 and see what they can do.

Wakeham is still young, has a big kicking game & WC experience behind him now but does tend to go in-and-out of games. Is he worth a 1-year top 30 contract?
No

There are some better players than him like Manu and Staggs who have similarly gone on record saying they want to play other positions (say fullback or 5/8) but difference is they aren’t sooking in the meantime. They are playing centre as it’s currently what’s best for the team and doing their best to put runs on the board with consistent good performances to keep pressing their case and justify a pay upgrade as well.
Everyone is behind you (pun intended ). You make an interesting point. When AD was at Souths he openly stated he would play anywhere, I think he debuted at 7, played wing and FB. If he was back at Souths would he be demanding to play in a certain position?

Latest posts

Members online

Back