Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

He falls off 2 many tackles and he's a hog close to the line
I'd rather have Rua he's got more size

Name one young hooker that doesn’t?

Key thing with Simpkin is he is the youngest Hooker in the NRL by 2-3yrs in 22. He also missed a heap of time due to covid. Simpkin (21) is also younger than Rua (22). I don’t get the love for Rua, he had an ordinary reggies year in 22 and before his 10min trial burst wasn’t a name on most minds.

No way would give Simpkin to Parra for Brown. Sheens talks about building a side for 2-4yrs time, Simpkin should stay if we are trying to build the best side possible depth rotation wise.

Key thing with Simpkin is he is the youngest Hooker in the NRL by 2-3yrs in 22. He also missed a heap of time due to covid. Simpkin (21) is also younger than Rua (22). I don’t get the love for Rua, he had an ordinary reggies year in 22 and before his 10min trial burst wasn’t a name on most minds.

No way would give Simpkin to Parra for Brown. Sheens talks about building a side for 2-4yrs time, Simpkin should stay if we are trying to build the best side possible depth rotation wise.
Imo Simpkin will be pivotal to give API a spell.
Others get in line, they kept Simpkin coz he was the best option.

Simpkin needs to stay. Should be first choice back up and even a chance of relieving Api over the 80 minutes each week. He has got potential.

In regards to Rua, he only played 8 games in 2022. He was by far the best player for Magpies in those games. We were getting pumped week in week out and he was the only reason we were hitting the scoreboard most weeks. However he copped a long term injury and missed the remainder of the season. I hope we don't rush him back by throwing him into NRL too soon and give him time to get games under his belt and build confidence in NSW Cup again.

Gotta disagree.. Smith for his whole carrer, played behind exceptional forwards. At Melbourne , extremely talented ,well coached, salary cap cheating forwards. Please look at the Origin stats of Farah & Smith. Farah beats him in all bar 2. Unfortunately , some NSW supporters also bought into this QLD crap that Smith was a demi god. Swap teams - Farah for Smith. Under those conditions , I dont believe Smith would have made as many origin appearances as Robbie. IMO, Smith is like Cleary.......anyone who has played footy know its easy to dominate a game when you have good forwards lay the platform........ It is a true champion that plays behind the eight ball for most of his career & still comes up trumps.(eg Andrew Johns)
Smith also never took the line on from memory....always distributing and never let himself get tackled.
Could organise the bejesus out of an attack, but with those forwards he could do whatever and not worry about getting belted in tackles.

Gee I love the way a lot of u on this forum want to throw spots to untried kids , most of them are at least 2 years away from been 1st grade standard , blokes like brown my not be the player he was years ago but he is way ahead of what we had last year, he will teach these kids what it takes to play week in week out , so unless u to have another wooden spoon , have faith in sheens , I think he is pulling together a great forward pack , and next year he wii address the backs
re: next year addressing the backs.
I noticed at this stage we only have 5 backs signed for 2024 & no halves.

Yep saw Benny play & a great admirer. I think Benny was the first hooker i remember playing that third playmaker role & kicking from dummy half. But i still think Robbie perfected it.
Elias changed the hooker role, then Andrew Johns played that role for Australia and nsw
Robbie was terrific but do think Elias was a better number 9 than Robbie

How can you say his toughness is a myth simply because Blore got a good shot on him?
Brown continued playing and got one back, never backed down, had a good tussle with the young bloke and most importantly, won the game. He also backed up and did the same week after week.
That was 2 years ago, a lot has changed since, Brown is not the same physically now, otherwise Parra wouldn’t be shopping him around, especially after losing 3 back rowers.

Seven backs signed to the Top 30 in ‘24 so far, no halves.
1. Tupou
2. Nofoaluma
3. To’a
4. Kepaoa
5. Naden
6. Feledy
7. Reilly
Sorry there. I missed Feledy & Reilly. I would imagine these two would only be on a small contract.
I’d like to see the WTs use the same strategy in picking up Papali’i & Api a year so so out. And go for top tier back & halves sooner than later for 2024

Last edited:
Sorry there. I missed Feledy & Reilly. I would image these two would only be on a small contract.
Yeah, probably.

You’re right though it is interesting, obviously there’ll be changes, but we’ve already got 20 out of 30 spots filled for 2024 and none of them are halves or fullback.

Everything points to them banking on bringing in more big-name spine players to accompany Api.

The Brown swap from Parra is real, the suggested that they would release Brown 1 year early from his contract, if we are prepared to give them a player in return. They have signed Josh Hodgson from Canberra as their hooker for next season, Josh has suffered 2 career threatening Anterior Cruciate Ligament injuries, in 2018 and 2020, on both knees and at 33 he is a big risk for Parra. So they inquired about us releasing young Jake Simpkin to them as a back up for Hodgson.

We have young Rua Ngatikaura coming up through the ranks, I believe this kid has something special to offer, he reminds of Brandon "the Cheese" Smith the way he plays. We also have Will Smith, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a swap on the cards.

The Brown swap from Parra is real, the suggested that they would release Brown 1 year early from his contract, if we are prepared to give them a player in return. They have signed Josh Hodgson from Canberra as their hooker for next season, Josh has suffered 2 career threatening Anterior Cruciate Ligament injuries, in 2018 and 2020, on both knees and at 33 he is a big risk for Parra. So they inquired about us releasing young Jake Simpkin to them as a back up for Hodgson.

We have young Rua Ngatikaura coming up through the ranks, I believe this kid has something special to offer, he reminds of Brandon "the Cheese" Smith the way he plays. We also have Will Smith, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a swap on the cards.
Will Smith for Nathan Brown.

Elias changed the hooker role, then Andrew Johns played that role for Australia and nsw
Robbie was terrific but do think Elias was a better number 9 than Robbie
Agreed - Elias brought with him the skills of a halfback to the hooker forward role. Farah continued the line of very talented hookers with halfback skills at WTs. Koroisau is similar as well.

Let's hope Farah is working with our young hookers to have them develop a kicking game. It takes the pressure off the halves and offers another focus of attack.

Back