Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

John’s wife is a Canberra girl .. she’s big into horses, she competes in equestrians and horse events .. she’ll be happy to back home with baby son .. 😀😀 .. will be interesting to see if John’s 11 year old daughter comes this time .. ??
😂😂 my dad always said don’t get mixed up with a girl involved with horses. It will cost you a fortune

I agree with others that a 4 year contract, if true, is too long for Bateman and could it could end up being another financial millstone. However, what can you do? At his best, he's a gun and his forceful presence and experience could be a real boon. However, if injuries, poor form or indifference kick in we're sunk once again.

I agree with others that a 4 year contract, if true, is too long for Bateman and could it could end up being another financial millstone. However, what can you do? At his best, he's a gun and his forceful presence and experience could be a real boon. However, if injuries, poor form or indifference kick in we're sunk once again.
The media are saying it. All the club's have been tight lipped lately so I doubt it would be 4 years to be honest. Only if it's a club option on the 4th year.

Would have thought we might have learned our lesson with 4 year deals for players who's best days were some years ago. Let's hope he is not being paid at a rate based on past reputation instead of recent form.

Would love to get Farnworth a class center .Note Broncos sign Staggs to a long term deal but not Herbie a RLWC team mate of Bateman .The way I see it we are flush with forwards and wingers and halfback like it or not is a lock
Hope we use Daino he a gutsy player and IMO is our No 1 or No 6

It's a life changing decision to relocate to Australia. I can understand Bateman and his family wanting tenure. I also believe getting players from the one stable and agreeing to reasonable terms for one player may open the door to other players from the same manager. There is a need to be pragmatic in our approach to recruitment, an area we have previously struggled with.

It means we the amount of overs we'll have to pay will be even higher. Papali'i would cost us a million under the current cap. We'd need to offer Moses 1.5 rather than 1.1.
The cap increase mainly benefits big successful clubs as it will make it easier for them to retain players, although a few mercenaries will still take way overs if they can get it.
That doesn't compute. I mean: mathematically that does not work out.

The rosters are the same size, so everyone (clubs and players) are subject to the same increase. If IP costs X% more to bring over, it also costs the incumbent club X% more to retain them. Even if the rosters were not the same size, every club has the same mandatory conditions of needing to pay a Top 30.

The only thing the cap increase does right at this moment is impact potential recruitment for 2023 / 2024, because the increase was not previously guaranteed and therefore more money has become immediately available.

The cap increase means every player is now asking for more money. Even the basic wage is higher.

It's a life changing decision to relocate to Australia. I can understand Bateman and his family wanting tenure. I also believe getting players from the one stable and agreeing to reasonable terms for one player may open the door to other players from the same manager. There is a need to be pragmatic in our approach to recruitment, an area we have previously struggled with.
I hear what you’re saying but a 4 year deal for a guy who has shoulder issues & didn’t exactly set the super league on fire when he returned isn’t exactly smart. He’s sort of had a habit for breaking contracts recently as well. Happy to be proven wrong !!

If Bateman comes on a 3yr mutual option on the 4th id be ok with that but i agree with others 4 yrs straight out is a big risk. Especially as we've bignoted ourselves as the development club i am still intrigued about @tigerap comment on his mate coming i took that as being another pom but not Williams.

Reactions: 851
If Bateman comes on a 3yr mutual option on the 4th id be ok with that but i agree with others 4 yrs straight out is a big risk. Especially as we've bignoted ourselves as the development club i am still intrigued about @tigerap comment on his mate coming i took that as being another pom but not Williams.
@tigerballs ✅️

Would have thought we might have learned our lesson with 4 year deals for players who's best days were some years ago. Let's hope he is not being paid at a rate based on past reputation instead of recent form.
I agree, though I would do it for some exceptions.

Dale Finucane for instance. Yes his form will dip, but it will be the leaving Melbourne storm dip. I expect his effort will be 100% for the 4 years he will play at Cronulla. Flip that people like David Fifita can be signed for over 1 million and still having 10 years of Rugby league ahead of him, he would be a massive risk on a 3 year contract.

Overall agreed and here is the problem as I see it. It's Long contract + overs.
We need to draw a hard line, Either Long contract OR Overs. Not Both! While I am glad we resigned Nofo, his 5 years at 500k is a joke.

We need to attract talent, we cannot keep locking us up for many years just to attract second rate talent.

Back