Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Even if here was a powerhouse, he couldn't do it by himself. There were limitations around him. There isn't any quality halfbacks on the market, at least none to replace him, and to swap him for an ageing forward just doesn't make sense

So when we win it’s him but when we lose it’s the buffoons around him? I mean it’s true the rest of the team was lousy but you’re making him sound like Cooper Cronk. In the end we had three guys who wanted to play two positions and the coach ranked him lowest. Whether that was reasonable is debatable. I think I’d rather Brooks and Hastings to be honest.

Which game was that?

I remember watching Roosters vs Tigers when Fittler took over coaching there.... Honestly it was a fun game to watch. The Anasta field goal attempt where it hits the crossbar, the final where Roosters give up on Field goals and get a 50m try. They earned that win. (it wasn't a finals game from memory but left us at 9th/knocked us out. )

Otherwise trying to think what game your mentioning... I can't think of a finals game with us vs Easts and Heighno not diving on a ball.
2010 Final, the roosters didn't pack the scrum correctly and spun around and threw the ball at the back of the roosters legs. Should have been a penalty to the tigers so no one bothered to pick it up. The roosters picked it up and ran away to score. That put them within a point of the tigers and they had about 5 attempts at a field goal before Anasta managed to get one over which sent the game to over time.

2010 Final, the roosters didn't pack the scrum correctly and spun around and threw the ball at the back of the roosters legs. Should have been a penalty to the tigers so no one bothered to pick it up. The roosters picked it up and ran away to score. That put them within a point of the tigers and they had about 5 attempts at a field goal before Anasta managed to get one over which sent the game to over time.
Just yet another game the refs and the nrl screwed us over so their favourite teams win.
Nothing to see here.

Not quite. - Yep it should have been a penalty as their front rower just broke from the scrum and dived on the ball before it had cleared the scrum. However all Heighno had to do was fall on the ball. The score at the time was 15- 14. Rorters threw it around and evetually Anasta kicked field goal from 35 mtrs out to take it to extra time. Tigers had most of the running in ET until Ful;ton threw a floating pass and it was intercepted by Kenny -Dowall ho ran about 80 mtrs to score.

Bateman joins Wests Tigers on long-term deal​

Wests Tigers is delighted to announce that England International, John Bateman, is joining the club on a four-year deal.

The former Wigan Warriors forward will link up with Wests Tigers in January, having played the last two seasons in the English Super League.
The 29-year-old joins Wests Tigers for what will be his second stint in the NRL, having made a huge impact in his two seasons with Canberra.

Bateman helped take the Raiders all the way to the NRL grand final in 2019, falling one game short of a second grand final appearance the following year.
Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens says Bateman is an important addition to the team.
“He’s a world class player with an enormous work ethic,” said Sheens.
He’s the type of player who leads by example.
Tim Sheens
"I have no doubt John will make a big contribution to this club over the next few years.”
Bateman says he’s excited to be joining Wests Tigers during an exciting phase for the club.
“I can’t wait to begin a new chapter at a club that I know is going places,” he said.
“There has been a lot of change at Wests Tigers over the past few months and everything I hear is positive.
I want to be a part of the rebuild at the club and I’m really excited to be coming back to the NRL."
John Bateman
Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says the addition of Bateman is another positive step for the club.
“We are delighted to welcome John and his family to the club,” Pascoe said.
“This is another important piece in what we are building as a club, and I know John will play a very important role in the time that he is with us.”

Bateman has played more than 200 games in England, spanning 10 seasons, including three seasons with Bradford Bulls and seven with Wigan.

Bateman joins Wests Tigers on long-term deal​

Wests Tigers is delighted to announce that England International, John Bateman, is joining the club on a four-year deal.

The former Wigan Warriors forward will link up with Wests Tigers in January, having played the last two seasons in the English Super League.
The 29-year-old joins Wests Tigers for what will be his second stint in the NRL, having made a huge impact in his two seasons with Canberra.

Bateman helped take the Raiders all the way to the NRL grand final in 2019, falling one game short of a second grand final appearance the following year.
Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens says Bateman is an important addition to the team.
“He’s a world class player with an enormous work ethic,” said Sheens.

"I have no doubt John will make a big contribution to this club over the next few years.”
Bateman says he’s excited to be joining Wests Tigers during an exciting phase for the club.
“I can’t wait to begin a new chapter at a club that I know is going places,” he said.
“There has been a lot of change at Wests Tigers over the past few months and everything I hear is positive.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says the addition of Bateman is another positive step for the club.
“We are delighted to welcome John and his family to the club,” Pascoe said.
“This is another important piece in what we are building as a club, and I know John will play a very important role in the time that he is with us.”

Bateman has played more than 200 games in England, spanning 10 seasons, including three seasons with Bradford Bulls and seven with Wigan.
Clever by the club to wait till today. 🤙🏻

Somebody at the club realised that this announcement needed to be at a time when people had other things on their mind.

So when we win it’s him but when we lose it’s the buffoons around him? I mean it’s true the rest of the team was lousy but you’re making him sound like Cooper Cronk. In the end we had three guys who wanted to play two positions and the coach ranked him lowest. Whether that was reasonable is debatable. I think I’d rather Brooks and Hastings to be honest.
It's the whole team if we lose or win. Seemed some were trying harder than others. I think Brooks looked better at 5/8. Why not keep 3 guys for 2 of the key positions? Gives variety, options & keeps the opposition guessing

Somebody at the club realised that this announcement needed to be at a time when people had other things on their mind.
I don’t think so. I reckon the average wests tigers supporter would be happy with this signing. It fills a need both in terms of position and attitude… No mention of any options in the 4th year though.

There has to be more to this contract, maybe a reduced figure for the last 2 yrs. This appears against the logic of a club aiming for a top 8 roster in 2025.

Some times I get abit court up with who we are chasing and who we land but we have to give sheens and benji and Madge a huge wrap here. We haves signed 4 world class players in 1 off season. 4 elite level players that will make a huge difference to on field performances this is insane considering where we are coming from. I have to convince my self this is actually happening some times. 4 elite level players with a never say die attitude I’m so happy to be a tigers supporter!!

It's the whole team if we lose or win. Seemed some were trying harder than others. I think Brooks looked better at 5/8. Why not keep 3 guys for 2 of the key positions? Gives variety, options & keeps the opposition guessing

Because it ties up big money for a backup. Plus you’re asking Hastings to play at lock. Sure we were entitled to do that but it’s a crappy thing to do to him when someone else will pay him more money to play where he wants.

Back