Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Rts better anyways
Agree Scare.
Some are saying RTS is too big a risk because of his age. I think he's 29, that's not too old hey.
He could come here on good dollars for a couple of years and Laurie, who is still quiet young could be his understudy and cover for injuries 🤔
That would be a perfect scenario if both parties were happy.
With our current side, the inclusion of RTS would possibly push us up to contend for a title.
That however, would hugely depend on whether Brooks, AD and a ball playing lock gets sorted.
Maybe not contenders next year but in 2024 when hopefully these issues are sorted.
There could still be room in our cap if media reports have any substance. 🤔🤣😉

Agree Scare.
Some are saying RTS is too big a risk because of his age. I think he's 29, that's not too old hey.
He could come here on good dollars for a couple of years and Laurie, who is still quiet young could be his understudy and cover for injuries 🤔
That would be a perfect scenario if both parties were happy.
With our current side, the inclusion of RTS would possibly push us up to contend for a title.
That however, would hugely depend on whether Brooks, AD and a ball playing lock gets sorted.
Maybe not contenders next year but in 2024 when hopefully these issues are sorted.
There could still be room in our cap if media reports have any substance. 🤔🤣😉
Sorry, but I think you are extremely optimistic to think that the addition of RTS could lead to a title. Firstly, he is just one excellent player (admittedly in a key position) and one class player does not transform a whole side. There are big question marks about the remainder of the Tigers spine, specifically in the half and five eighth positions and there is no guarantee that all the new signings will gel or perform to their potential. The other thing is that RTS is going to want a lot of money because he was an elite player for a long time in the NRL, he is edging closer to retirement and he is being asked to move to the wooden spooners. To be honest, I can see this potential move going badly if we add another 4 year contract on big dollars. 2 or 3 years with an option in our favour on 1 mil a year would be ok, but, even then, I can see Roger going down with injuries. Signing either Moses or RTS on huge money could drag us down for years. Different matter if they were both 25.
Of the two, I think I'd prefer Roger because of his high level of professionalism, consistent effort and ability to lead by example.

I'm just thankful that the roster looks on paper at least significantly stronger and their seems to be more of a focus on now rather than the three years talk last year. They were never going to sell that to any player of note and although the backs are a bit light on in quality, we really don't know what they are a capable of until the pack paves the way.

Sorry, but I think you are extremely optimistic to think that the addition of RTS could lead to a title. Firstly, he is just one excellent player (admittedly in a key position) and one class player does not transform a whole side. There are big question marks about the remainder of the Tigers spine, specifically in the half and five eighth positions and there is no guarantee that all the new signings will gel or perform to their potential. The other thing is that RTS is going to want a lot of money because he was an elite player for a long time in the NRL, he is edging closer to retirement and he is being asked to move to the wooden spooners. To be honest, I can see this potential move going badly if we add another 4 year contract on big dollars. 2 or 3 years with an option in our favour on 1 mil a year would be ok, but, even then, I can see Roger going down with injuries. Signing either Moses or RTS on huge money could drag us down for years. Different matter if they were both 25.
Of the two, I think I'd prefer Roger because of his high level of professionalism, consistent effort and ability to lead by example.
optimistic is my middle name 😉
My assessment was based on him being an addition to our our new recruits. I also mentioned a lot would be dependent on sorting out the halves and ball playing lock.
Roger is first class and very athletic, injuries wouldn't be a concern imo.

He was very good for us back then….
That was a great era for us old Tiger supporters. We had alot of international players throughout the 80's. They had there chance in 85-86 and 88-89 to win a comp. Schofield was great for the Tigers. Didn't he also play for the Magpies in the late 80's.

One class player does Transform a side.
Think Manly

S

SO does that mean we don't sign 80% of the halfbacks in the comp due to them not winning comps??

No it dosen't,but we need to have a players who are giving everything on the field if we are getting flogged or belting the opposition.Moses is a flat track bully and the last person i want to see on the field when things are going bad for us

RTS will move the needle a little not take us to the top. He is 29 (e few months younger than Teddy), him stepping out of the game for a bit is a concern but he’s a pro, so I reckon he’ll be ok. One if the best things about signing him is we will continue the good player signing trend and break the spell of no good players coming to the Tigers. I like 3 years with an option on the forth.
Here’s a pen Roger.

That was a great era for us old Tiger supporters. We had alot of international players throughout the 80's. They had there chance in 85-86 and 88-89 to win a comp. Schofield was great for the Tigers. Didn't he also play for the Magpies in the late 80's.
Yes, he played for Wests Magpies in 1989, along with Ellery Hanley.

optimistic is my middle name 😉
My assessment was based on him being an addition to our our new recruits. I also mentioned a lot would be dependent on sorting out the halves and ball playing lock.
Roger is first class and very athletic, injuries wouldn't be a concern imo.
I like your optimism Cobarcats but, having been a long suffering Tigers supporter, my own optimism is tempered by realism!

Last edited:
Billy Slater was great right up until his last season at 35. Athletes around the world are staying at their peak for longer. That's not to say we should go out and scoop up every player over 30 on a long-term deal, but a few great veterans at that age can really help you push for a title. It's all great to talk about potential and how a young player is going to grow, but in the real world where the games are played, veteran leadership and experience are invaluable. Without having watched RTS play rugby, if he can return at 90% of what he was in the NRL, he'd be a great pick up. I don't think he comes with injury baggage either so it's not as though we'd be signing a potentially busted player like Bateman and be stuck with an albatross of a contract. 3 year deal for RTS in his age 30, 31 and 32 years would be fine by me.

Back