Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Moses all round kicking game is right up there with junior jaw. Put that kicking game behind a very good pack and you will win plenty of games. If the goss is correct, it’s a massive contract over five years, but when your at the bottom of the heap that’s what you have to do to turn things around
If 200k is TPAs out of the contact it ain't bad.

I'd like to think Brooks and Doueihi are competing for a spot in the spine probably as running 6's in 24. If Doueihi isn't in the halves I'd be trialling him in different positions. I think he could be a ball playing lock or an edge ball playing backrower.

I dont think his defense is anywhere close to capable as a lock or 2nd row forward, if he improves there he could do alright i guess.

I'd like to think Brooks and Doueihi are competing for a spot in the spine probably as running 6's in 24. If Doueihi isn't in the halves I'd be trialling him in different positions. I think he could be a ball playing lock or an edge ball playing backrower.
Then you have to consider if he would be blocking the progression of younger players such as Matamua and Faagutu. Clearly the answer is he would be and that is before you consider the salary cap implications. There is a lot of work balancing a squad.

Then you have to consider if he would be blocking the progression of younger players such as Matamua and Faagutu. Clearly the answer is he would be and that is before you consider the salary cap implications. There is a lot of work balancing a squad.

Good points. He needs a big season.

Hes big enough for the forwards...

Pretty stupid comment really

We got the wooden spoon and Mitch mosses played in a grand final to be the half back in a grand final side is not easy in this day and age I don’t understand how people cannot be happy with this signing if true
Taking Moses's history with the club out of the equation I still think this would be a terrible signing at that price and length of contract.
Yes, he was in a Grand Final but he was awful in that final series. The eels forwards led them to the grand final (that and the rails run, avoiding the likes of Penrith, Rabbitohs and Roosters in the other knock out stages). We've seen Moses is also a previous wooden spoon recipient so we know he equally cannot perform behind a bad pack.
All that said, I can accept he probably is probably an upgrade at 7, but at 1.4mil and with the comfort of a 5 year contract I don't see how anyone could possibly think he will perform to that value.
Maybe 3 years at 1mil, I wouldn't like it but I could understand.

Then factoring in his history at the club I can't see why anyone would be happy.

Taking Moses's history with the club out of the equation I still think this would be a terrible signing at that price and length of contract.

Yes, he was in a Grand Final but he was awful in that final series. The eels forwards led them to the grand final (that and the rails run, avoiding the likes of Penrith, Rabbitohs and Roosters in the other knock out stages). We've seen Moses is also a previous wooden spoon recipient so we know he equally cannot perform behind a bad pack.

All that said, I can accept he probably is probably an upgrade at 7, but at 1.4mil and with the comfort of a 5 year contract I don't see how anyone could possibly think he will perform to that value.

Then factoring in his history at the club I can't see why anyone would be happy.
No more than 3 years at the money being talked about.

What about in the quarter final where it was 6-6 from memory and was a battle between Moses and Cleary with their kicking games.
As soon as Moses went down in the last quarter of the game, parra had no direction what do ever and penrith took over

What about in the quarter final where it was 6-6 from memory and was a battle between Moses and Cleary with their kicking games.
As soon as Moses went down in the last quarter of the game, parra had no direction what do ever and penrith took over
Except it was 13-8 when Moses went off. And the momentum had already swung towards the Panthers (thanks to their pack) by that stage.
Moses was kicking well up to that point, but at no stage did he look like threatening the Panthers defence.

Moses's kicking game is nowhere near as good as Cleary's. Cleary is incredibly precise and consistent and smart in his kicking game. It is the best aspect of his play. Moses is good but is less consistent and threatening as a kicker. Cleary's ability to either turn the momentum of the game or provide unrelenting deep and accurate kicks is such a core part of what the Panthers do well.

I would not expect that from Moses if he came here and it's why I hesitate about trying to recruit him as a solution at halfback.

A spine of:
Hammer/Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow or Isakko at Fullback, Anthony Milford at 5/8 (who took Brisbane and Canberra to the finals), Sean O'sullivan and Jeremy Marshall King or Ray Stone at Hooker. Yes Halfback is a problem, though Wayne Bennett can coach that.

The bigger questions IMHO are around their Centers/wings. A forward pack that's 50% storm will go well. I honestly expect the Dolphins to be the dark horses of the competition.
Looking at Bennett's squad and Aitken playing centre he will try to strangle teams to get his wins he won't want to have teams scoring more then 8/14 against them because they don't have more the 16/18 points in that lineup

Moses's kicking game is nowhere near as good as Cleary's. Cleary is incredibly precise and consistent and smart in his kicking game. It is the best aspect of his play. Moses is good but is less consistent and threatening as a kicker. Cleary's ability to either turn the momentum of the game or provide unrelenting deep and accurate kicks is such a core part of what the Panthers do well.

I would not expect that from Moses if he came here and it's why I hesitate about trying to recruit him as a solution at halfback.
Can't compaire the forward packs.

Good post. We are not the Salvation army. Why keep persevering with ordinary players on good coin. We must duplicate the top sides, and continue to promote or buy the best where possible. To do this as you have said,is down to salary cap implications and roster balance. We cannot progress young players if we are tied to dead wood, and there are no vacancies. We have a few players that either perform or be let go!

Staff online

Back