Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Not Samoan though. Kanakas were Melanesian not Polynesian.
Kanaka is from the Hawaiian language and means human being. It is referenced to Hawaiians of Polynesian ancestry or more broadly to any Polynesian person. If you are from one of those more than 80 Pacific Island nations in that link you would fall into that category.

Kanaka is from the Hawaiian language and means human being. It is referenced to Hawaiians of Polynesian ancestry or more broadly to any Polynesian person. If you are from one of those more than 80 Pacific Island nations in that link you would fall into that category.
Funny that, in PNG the word is often used to describe someone from the village or mock someone for being uneducated on a topic.

The word may have been picked up from Hawaiian, but the Kanakas in Australia were not Hawaiian, and not Samoan. They were Melanesians, not Polynesians, and majority were from the Solomons.

I'm happy to start a seperate 'Kanakas were definitely not Samoan' thread if you want.

Don't think club that smart sheens idea.

Plus they wanted ciraldo originally but suspect sheens never wanted him.
I think after CC knocked back the coaching role, Sheens floated the idea of the new set up and the board thought it may just work . So along with the COE and a reasonably radical coaching set up, the clubs image is on the way up

Hope we signed this Seve kid.
Yeah yeah . . just youtube highlights . . . I know . . . but there's a LOT to like about him !!
Though it shows him at different ages, he's always been the big kid. So he'll fill out nicely.

The word may have been picked up from Hawaiian, but the Kanakas in Australia were not Hawaiian, and not Samoan. They were Melanesians, not Polynesians, and majority were from the Solomons.

I'm happy to start a seperate 'Kanakas were definitely not Samoan' thread if you want.
Kanaka isn't probably the right Islander prononced or even spoken word

Remember the Hawaiians only have a 13 letter alphabet ......

Last edited:
Back