Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Sounds like coach and recruit manager not on same page.

it is understood the club was still attempting to navigate recent changes that resulted in Scott Fulton being appointed head of recruitment by the board.

The decision to make an offer to Brooks shapes as a victory for Sheens and Marshall, who are believed to have championed his retention
Well Marshall will live or die on the decision to resign Brooks. He hasn't shown enough to win games so not sure what they expect him to do if he ever played a final game.

Reactions: 851
Not that I disagree with you, but who do you have in mind?
I agree with you 💯, Brooks is a $450 k player and a 2 year Max contract extension. He needs to prove he is worthy of anything more during his next stint having been substantially overpaid for a number of years now. I would also extend Wakeham for another 2 years, I see more upside to his game and he will continue to improve.

With the Dragons being an absolute rabble right now I hope we are in the frame for Hunt and Lomax. Class players who will shine at their next stop.
I have been hoping for these 2 for a while now. We could even offer Nof or Laurie + Blore in a swap or something (doubt they bite on that but if they want something in return than those are who I could think of to offer).

I will say I doubt Lomax comes. There has been less noise coming out of his camp since Hook was sacked and they put him on his preferred side. Hunt & Lomax seemed to be at opposing ends of the Hook debate as Lomax wanted him gone and Hunt wanted him there so not sure he will be going anywhere now. Means we would need to find a kicker if we do get hunt as that puts Wakeham back to reserves. Does anyone know if any of our rumoured targets goal kick?

I can't stand Brooks' play the last few years and 'am probably one his biggest 'haters' on here, but over this recent month/month and a half, he's gone complete 180 on his atrocious form over the first 6 weeks, maybe that coincides with the form of a few other guys around him but definitely keen to see how he goes the rest of the season. I just wish he would bring the grubber kick to his play more because whenever I see him use it, usually is to good effect and a far more effective end to the set as opposed to a coinflip bomb to the winger..

I've been accused of being a "Brooks Supporter" in the past. I'm quite happy if the contract offer is true. Getting him signed for $550k per year would be a pretty good bargain for a starting #7.

What I will say is this- if the competition for him gets anywhere near warm, I'd be just as happy to let him go & get Blake Taaffe to play the role. Or Kyle Flannagan. Or anyone at that $500k range.

I don't think there are many available halves WORTH the $700k upward range at this stage. Brooks is probably the best option, and a club junior, so gets the most leeway regarding the $ range. As high as $650 seems decent.

But more than that- can you honestly believe a $700k+ Brooks offers significantly more than a $500k Flanagan or Taaffe or Sezar?

Try to retain Brooks, by all means. But don't lock the club into an Mbye type deal for an Mbye type player.

Case in point- at $450k a year, Mbye isn't the worst #6 option I could think of.

When you break it down, 750k a season for Brooks is probably about right based on what the other 16 starting halfbacks are getting paid.

Over 1 Million:
Cleary - Moses - DCE - Hynes - Hunt - Keary

Between 750k - 1 million:
Burton - Reynolds - Hughes - Townsend - Hastings - Fogarty?

Bellow 750k:
Boyd - Illias - O’Sullivan - Johnson

These figures are mainly guess work on my part based on reports at the time. Could be less, could be more. But the guys on less than 750k are fairly early in their careers, or in SJs case were signed on their value at the time.

Getting Brooks for less than 750k and then factoring the cap exemption could be a steal. Even if he doesn’t perform, on a 2 year deal there isn’t much risk as someone would likely still pick him up either in the NRL or super league. Halves are the hottest commodity in the game at the moment.

If Brooks is in Sheens plans as he has stated more than once, and Brooks signs the deal, it's of little consequence what I think so have accepted it. And if recent form continues dont have too many complaints.

I think Brooks owes us in that WT have stuck by him year after year and even when he wasnt in good form .As such his previous deal 4yrs 3.5 mill +/-(backended) to now say 2 yrs as he's older 1.3 mill .Is fair .2 or 3 yrs from now he won't be able to get even 500k pa

His form coincides with a lot of guys in the team beginning to play at a first grade standard. With good players around him you see his actual ability. He’s worth 2 years on 500-600 when you look at the alternatives.
It also coincides with Brooks being allowed to simplify his game and play to his strengths. Last time that happened is when Cleary coached.

What is overlooked is the role Koroisau plays. At another club Brooks will not have the luxury of having the NSW Origin hooker. I believe the club knows exactly the figure they will pay for him and it will be higher than many of the guesstimates offered in posts.

The superb form of Twal, who has been unleashed and allowed to unload to create second phase play has been a revelation. It was rumoured he had a good unload in his game.

Last edited:
If the man has any conscience at all he signs for $500k maximum after the rubbish he's served up for so many years.
To expect any more would make him a dog of the highest order.

In the end if he leaves, he leaves.
A few competent games doesn't erase my memory. I'd still like Brooks to leave and we start again.
He can go join Sharon in obscurity

Are we sure Brayden Trindall is happy not playing first grade footy?

Worth a call and tbh would be silly if he didn’t listen or seriously consider an offer from us
There's Trindall, Jordan Abdull and my personal favourite Blake Taaffe.
Taaffe's playing fullback but has played half and to me is a natural half with a football brain and the ability to break the line.

The market place will determine what Brooks is worth and will bear no resemblance to what we on the forum think. At present we have one broken no6 on our books for next year, The Raiders need a 6, Payten rates Brooks, the Chooks need a 7, Dogs need a six or seven, the coast could do with a 7 and the dragons may need a seven.

Demand and supply will set the price and there will be demand and there is limited supply.

If could land a quality no7 we could walk away from Brooks, but that is not going to happen in the short term.

The market place will determine what Brooks is worth and will bear no resemblance to what we on the forum think. At present we have one broken no6 on our books for next year, The Raiders need a 6, Payten rates Brooks, the Chooks need a 7, Dogs need a six or seven, the coast could do with a 7 and the dragons may need a seven.

Brooks is not their solution

Back