Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087356) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087332) said:
Wonder if Tui Lolohea is available. Can also cover prop which is handy.

Well, he'd be better than Moylan imo.

Moylan is half the size but twice the fullback. Lolohea’s a dud.

We Must look for top pommy players surely there must be excellent players who want a chance in the nrl for a good payday. The raiders are benefitting from looking overseas, does Ellery have a son or grandson ?

@Swordy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087357) said:
Flanagan cant coach dragons this year, even if Mary goes first week.

True but Steelers signed Flanos main assistant from the Sharks as well. Plan in place when Mary is punted.

@hugh1954 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087364) said:
We Must look for top pommy players surely there must be excellent players who want a chance in the nrl for a good payday. The raiders are benefitting from looking overseas, does Ellery have a son or grandson ?

I have a son, but no grandkids...

Jokes aside, you are right...we should target a couple of big pom forwards and a class, goal kicking, back.

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087347) said:
@Cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087340) said:
Keep on Signing the best youth
At least they have opportunity here
If we can't sign top line players for 2020 then front load some players so we have even more cap money for 2021
That's when our COE will be ready and more enticing for players to come
I am quietly confident in our forwards
We obviously need speed
I only see Addo Carr and or Xerri helping here if they become available now and we are able to sign them
Money talks we have it so let's use it

What if they don’t come in 2021? A COE is not going to make everyone want to come here. There appears to be a problem with our brand. Until that perception is changed we’re going to continue to struggle.

Agreed.The COE will bring us up to speed with other clubs not make us the benchmark.

@Ponyo said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087300) said:
Zac Lomax is set to sign the longest deal in St George Illawarra history after agreeing to a monster six-year contract.

The in-demand Lomax, 20, has rejected interest from a host of clubs, including Wests Tigers and Canberra, for a deal worth about $3 million in a massive show of faith for the struggling Dragons.

It is understood the final year of the multi-year deal is an option in Lomax’s favour.

The length of the contract is only matched in Dragons history by the one to land halfback Ben Hunt from Brisbane two years ago. Hunt’s original deal was five years and an option for a sixth.

Lomax was already contracted until the end of next season but was one of the most in-demand players in the competition having long been earmarked as a first grade star.

The interest in him comes despite the goalkicker having played just 17 top-grade games since making his NRL debut last year.

Lomax, whose partner Jessica Sergis is a star in her own right with the Dragons’ NRLW side, will have an opportunity to press ahead with his goal of being the club’s first-choice fullback.

While club officials are unsure whether Lomax’s long-term future is in the No.1 jersey or in the centres, Dragons coach Paul McGregor will give him first crack at fullback this year.

“It’s good that (McGregor has) got confidence in me,” Lomax said this week. “Hopefully, the playing group’s got confidence in me as well.

“I’ll make sure I try and get that from them by just showing them I can work hard and put in the effort on the training paddock so I get that respect.

“I think if you can bring a good work rate to the team and you bring effort and you compete on each play, I think that can go a long way as a fullback.

“You look at someone like Charzne Nicoll-Klokstad. He’s fresh to the NRL but you look at what he brought to his team week in, week out. He competed on everything.”

Lomax rose through Illawarra’s junior ranks, representing the Australian Schoolboys and under-18s NSW before being picked in the Prime Minister’s XIII side last year.

St George Illawarra’s two centres, Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, are off contract at the end of the season.

With Lomax signed, the Dragons will now focus on retaining Kangaroos back-rower Tyson Frizell.

The contracts of Frizell, James Graham, Jacob Host, Mikaele Ravalawa and new recruit Issac Luke expire at the end of next year.

The Dragons’ latest signing Trent Merrin joined the side this week, while St George Illawarra are also pursuing Catalans outside back Brayden Wiliame.

Another terrible mistake by the Dragqueens, good player but still could be a dud, I'll give him 3 yrs max and he'll be looking to get out of his contract.
6yr contracts are really dumb

Anthony Milford will not walk out on the Broncos to join Wests Tigers as Brisbane’s $1 million man prepares for a return to the crucial five-eighth position in a bid to save his career at Red Hill.
https://amp.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/anthony-milford-wont-activate-clause-to-join-tigers-or-any-nrl-rival/news-story/57f7c06a705b49eaa63b366a115b8973?__twitter_impression=true

@WT2K said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087394) said:
Anthony Milford will not walk out on the Broncos to join Wests Tigers as Brisbane’s $1 million man prepares for a return to the crucial five-eighth position in a bid to save his career at Red Hill.
https://amp.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/anthony-milford-wont-activate-clause-to-join-tigers-or-any-nrl-rival/news-story/57f7c06a705b49eaa63b366a115b8973?__twitter_impression=true

They’re dropping like flies

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087395) said:

So Billy Britain is the WTF signing???

What happened to “Madge scores!!”

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087395) said:

Yep sadly, there is no one decent left for us to buy! After all the anticipation of possibly signing Mitchell and us having so much money to spend in the market, our recruitment has been very disappointing. Leilua is a good buy, but that's about it. He's the only one of our targets we've actually managed to hit! It's really frustrating.

I am not as worried as others regarding our inability to sign players. I suspect it’s a timing issue with our pursuit (and reported tentative agreement) with LM, we probably were too late for Lomax, Drinkwater etc. Their negotiations would have started some time ago and we obviously thought we had our target - alas we have missed the boat.

So in the absence of anything better, I would look to front end so see contracts so our war chest next year is massive.

@Tiger_Steve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087309) said:
@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087307) said:
So we miss another target, this is getting to be a major issue

It’s been an issue for years. And there’s no sign it’s changing. Despite all the talk and bluster. Our current top 17 is very very average.

I believe that until we are able to play finals football on a regular basis only 3 finals appearance in 20 years. And prove that we are a strong well run club with stability we will be unable to attract the good players. But for the first time i feel confident in management and coach that they can turn the club around .And turn us into a powerhouse and a club we can all be proud of

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087324) said:
@gallagher said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087316) said:
Despite the claims of the bagdad bobs on here, something is very wrong with the club. They need to address it.

Yeah we do seem to have a bit of a problem. We’ve got more cash than anyone but we’ve only been able to sign Leilua. You would think a premiership winning coach would be an attraction but it’s certainly not looking that way. We identified **Drinkwater, Mitchell, Lomax, Milford, Brimson** as potential fullback options and we’ve missed out on all of them.

At the risk of being labelled a Baghdad Bob or even worse crashing the pity party that is going on in the forum. its worth noting that in that list of players that we have supposedly "targeted" (based on what media reports?), none of them have left their own clubs. Im sure they would have spoken to other clubs besides us, but it is always an advantage to be the home club and it will take extra to drag them away. Particularly that list because all but Mitchell would need to relocate their families interstate.

Ive said it a few times, the only players that have actually left their clubs that we have missed out on are Tetevano & Capewell, personally Im glad we missed both of them. Looks like we missed Arrow ***if*** we were actually interested in him but again at $800Kpa Im glad we did.

Not seeing the doom & gloom. I like the Leilua pick up and the kids we have bought are good. Still time yet.

@Swordy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087357) said:
Flanagan cant coach dragons this year, even if Mary goes first week.

NRL are kidding themself if they think Flanagan won't coach them this year. He'll talk like a coach, look like a coach, act like a coach, just Dragons'll call him something else, and call McGregor the coach instead.

Tigers have been wise signing young guys looking for an opportunity Leilua, Walters, Stefano, Musgrove. Extended Aloai, MCK, Mikalele, Twal, Garner.

We are a top 8 side as it is Packer, Aloai, Mbye didn’t finish out the year. I’m expecting big improvements from Aloai, Twal, Packer, Garner, Leilua, Corey, Talau, Momirovski.

We lost Matterson, Farah, Marsters.
I’m expecting Aloai to own the 13 and Leilua to be a strike player on the right edge. They will cover Matterson. Either Talau or Momirovski are improvements over marsters. The biggest loss is Farah but Liddle comes back early so we should be covered with Reynolds, Walters.

We need to keep building from within no more paying Players overs patience and building the right way is the only option.

Unless it’s a star player we shouldn’t get into any bidding wars. Keep the 1m+ as there is always a player looking to get out before June 30 each year. Recent years DWZ, Waqa Blake are examples.

Latest posts

Back