Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We need forwards not weakarse backs.

I like Staines. He is quick and I reckon he runs it back hard. I also think Laurie is a bottom tier fullback and another option would be good.

I don't think Staines walks into a wing spot for us. Nofo and Ken have flaws but they've been good for us this year.

The big problem we have to fix is our forwards. I reckon with no injuries we need 2 impact props. We also need depth in the forwards.

Mate we played Laurie and toa as fullback this year.
We could have Billy Slater in his prime at full back this season but without forwards it is like parking your Ferrari in the garage and content driving a beat up Datsun 180b.

If Staines was any good he would be in Penrith's top 17 which he isn't

Forwards win games in the modern era.

We could have Billy Slater in his prime at full back this season but without forwards it is like parking your Ferrari in the garage and content driving a beat up Datsun 180b.

If Staines was any good he would be in Penrith's top 17 which he isn't

Forwards win games in the modern era.

Tedesco played better on a beaten pack

Think people don't like his effort and impact

I think if WT sign Charlie Staines then they have not really learnt a thing about improving the roster. Staines would be another costly mistake.

As most clever and informed Forum Members have articulated WT need to sign quality forwards as without the forwards going forward and putting team on the front foot it doesn't really matter who we have in the backs.

WT need to sign 3 quality forwards asap to supplement the current squad and the 2 coming in 2023.

We need both forwards and backs both will take time to build.

Majority of our backs are off contract end of this year or next.

Lets be real not much is better than Staines in our side who is 22 end of 2023

End of 23 age per player:
* Laurie 24
* Ken 29
* Naden 28
* Toa 23
* Kepoa 23

Only Nofa (30) & Tupo (21) are signed past 2023

I'm not saying we should go and grab him, but we could do a heck of alot worse like extending Gildart/JTJ/Kei etc

Is it worth throwing a year ('23) to JWH as a replacement for Tamou? I know he is well past his best, but he is still a huge human who I would rather see running with us than against us. Even if it's slight overs. He might take the smart option and hang up the boots, but a few extra $$$ in the retirement fund may temp him to go around again.

I know that all 34 players that played last night are contracted to NRL clubs, some on long term deals, like Howarth at the Storm. We seem to have a (reported) ton of cap room; do we make 30+ offers to see what we can shake free? 19/20 year olds, built like men, for the most part, would fit the brief for the developing WTs. Might be a year of waiting, while they develop at their current clubs, but then we would be set, hopefully for many years.

I know that all 34 players that played last night are contracted to NRL clubs, some on long term deals, like Howarth at the Storm. We seem to have a (reported) ton of cap room; do we make 30+ offers to see what we can shake free? 19/20 year olds, built like men, for the most part, would fit the brief for the developing WTs. Might be a year of waiting, while they develop at their current clubs, but then we would be set, hopefully for many years.
You can't do that. Once you have a contract offer on the table for a player you can't offer that x amount of money to any other player. That's why when players are taking forever to make a decision, clubs pull the offer so they can move on to someone else. But good idea to have a look at some these young origin players though 👍

Staines is a stain hell.no
If he is signed (and paid) as a backup fullback/winger then it would be okay. This would be a minimum wage type contract, perhaps with bonuses for first grade games?
I prefer our current 1, 2 & 5, but each have had injuries recently, so another cheap backup back would be okay.

What type of player is Curran? I'd never really noticed him until there was a report of Freddie thinking about him for origin.
After that every seems to rate him.
Curran is the Warriors work horse, has a huge engine, plugs the middle and gets around the paddock.
I remember a game where he made a hit up and offloaded then his mate spilled the ball and Curran turned and chased and made the tackle around the halfway line, no other player chased. From the next play the ball Curran chased wide and forced a turn over. Deceptively strong.

Curran is the Warriors work horse, has a huge engine, plugs the middle and gets around the paddock.
I remember a game where he made a hit up and offloaded then his mate spilled the ball and Curran turned and chased and made the tackle around the halfway line, no other player chased. From the next play the ball Curran chased wide and forced a turn over. Deceptively strong.
I’d sign him on that review. We need more players that don’t stop to check their instaface mid game. It’s only 90 mins.
Anyway more importantly your avatar today, kebab shop chef? Mmm kebabs.

Is it worth throwing a year ('23) to JWH as a replacement for Tamou? I know he is well past his best, but he is still a huge human who I would rather see running with us than against us. Even if it's slight overs. He might take the smart option and hang up the boots, but a few extra $$$ in the retirement fund may temp him to go around again.
This is what tigers are trying to steer clear of, if they did sign him for 1 year He’d just dig it every week for the year no doubt

If he is signed (and paid) as a backup fullback/winger then it would be okay. This would be a minimum wage type contract, perhaps with bonuses for first grade games?
I prefer our current 1, 2 & 5, but each have had injuries recently, so another cheap backup back would be okay.
He wouldn't be cheap.....the guy is a myth on the end of a great line inside him.

Think tumeth has put on a bit of size recently too, anyone else notice that?
He's one to keep .. Brandon Tumeth .. his physique reminds of Paul Gallen .. he seems to have the motor like Gallen as well .. he also ran great lines last night .. and tackled non stop for 80 mins. Tumeth was playing right centre by the end of the game as the young Bulldogs centre (Paul Alamoti) suffered a fractured eye socket.

Justin Matamua played strong as well at prop .. for a big unit he's got some great balls skills .. !! He often hit the ball up and passed a nice offload at the line.

Both players ran for over 100m on the night. Two players to watch in the coming seasons.

Watched the U19s rep game last night, young Tumeth is a deadset workhorse, I believe he just came back from a long break, you couldn't tell. Young Matitumua was also very good, but will be in trouble for a high shot, promising.
They both look good. Especially against other 19 year olds.

It's important not to rush them, I think both should potentially debut next year, but not play much first grade until 2024.

They both look good. Especially against other 19 year olds.

It's important not to rush them, I think both should potentially debut next year, but not play much first grade until 2024.
Matamua is on a development contract next year and joins the 30 in 24, Tumeth is already on a development contract for this year and still have 3 spots to fill our 30 this year. I reckon Tumeth will get one of them

With Staines he is only 21 yeas old and played 33 NRL games and 22 tries.

Interesting facts that in 2021 played 21 NRL games but was overlooked for the Grand Final. Why - Penrith considered him a weak link that Souths would exploit?

All top teams are like John West - it's the players they reject that make them a better team.

WT seem to pick up the scraps other teams don't want or play State Cup ability players. The last 12 years of missing the finals is evidence anyone really needs to see.

JWH - no over the hill and ones to avoid. Jason Cayless and Matt Balin say hi

Staines only at a cheap price no overs. Needs to bulk up for week to week NRL grind.

Liked the look of both Tumeth and Matamua but they don't need to be rushed. Maybe a bench spot at the end of season with a 20 min cameo.

Back