Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

you don't break the bank for a player like Joffa that is what puts us under cap pressure.
we need to th throw big dollars at quality, joffa is very good but not worth throwing money at in a bidding war with melbourne over
Then we have our forward problem.
Tamou is retiring.
Joffa is one of the best in our pack.
Twal will perform the same.
Stefano, I have seen nothing that indicates he will change with Sheens.

Forward packs can no longer be carried by one player. it's the team.
Getting rid of Garner, etc. Makes some sense. Fringe graders can go.

Getting rid of your good forward, means Pappaii comes into a pack that is too weak to set the tone.

So either we win a bidding war with a Munster free Melbourne or we bring in someone who is off contract. The only player that comes to mind that would upgrade Joe O (that we could sign) is Angus Crichton. Luke Thompson would be another possibility, but IMHO not necessarily an upgrade on Joe O.

I get it Joe O does not want to bleed for our club when were in our current state. His attitude has been probably the best attitude in our group till Hastings arrivial. I don't want to re-sign him if he is done though.

you don't break the bank for a player like Joffa that is what puts us under cap pressure.
we need to th throw big dollars at quality, joffa is very good but not worth throwing money at in a bidding war with melbourne over
Exactly - best player in a team coming last…
Not a mention last year.

He’s a great guy, super solid - storm aren’t giving him the money he’s on with us… let alone more.
Dolphins - Maybe… but they haven’t bought a spine yet, got plenty of middles

Then we have our forward problem.
Tamou is retiring.
Joffa is one of the best in our pack.
Twal will perform the same.
Stefano, I have seen nothing that indicates he will change with Sheens.

Forward packs can no longer be carried by one player. it's the team.
Getting rid of Garner, etc. Makes some sense. Fringe graders can go.

Getting rid of your good forward, means Pappaii comes into a pack that is too weak to set the tone.

So either we win a bidding war with a Munster free Melbourne or we bring in someone who is off contract. The only player that comes to mind that would upgrade Joe O (that we could sign) is Angus Crichton. Luke Thompson would be another possibility, but IMHO not necessarily an upgrade on Joe O.

I get it Joe O does not want to bleed for our club when were in our current state. His attitude has been probably the best attitude in our group till Hastings arrivial. I don't want to re-sign him if he is done though.
I had to re-read this bit. I thought you were saying Hastings caused a drop in Joffas attitude lol

Funny place this forum.

We have a forward who has Rep quality and is 26yrs old, made the most tackle breaks (50) & meters per game (124) of his career whilst increasing his tackle count by 30% (900+) on any other season he has played for a team who have often given up but then go meh we don’t need him.

We are rebuilding, youth needs experienced heads around them - the right ones.

Joe has shown this year he is the right one. The guy has had a dig all year leading the way when others just gave up. He didn’t take the easy option out and has often had zero support.

We won’t find better quality /age-experience than Joe to compliment Api/Papa next year.

From the sounds of it, his asking price won’t break the bank and is fair.

But hey we have Twal and Seyfarth so all good right & some wonder why we keep losing….

The issue is with Hastings at lock then Joffa is a bench forward at full strength. He has always been a bit small for prop and not quite agile or skilled enough for backrow. Lock is his best position but he doesent have the ball playing for the modern day. His effort though is great so want to keep him brcause he is better then others we have but if we want to be a top team then he is a bench prop

Funny place this forum.

We have a forward who has Rep quality and is 26yrs old, made the most tackle breaks (50) & meters per game (124) of his career whilst increasing his tackle count by 30% (900+) on any other season he has played for a team who have often given up but then go meh we don’t need him.

We are rebuilding, youth needs experienced heads around them - the right ones.

Joe has shown this year he is the right one. The guy has had a dig all year leading the way when others just gave up. He didn’t take the easy option out and has often had zero support.

We won’t find better quality /age-experience than Joe to compliment Api/Papa next year.

But hey we have Twal and Seyfarth so all good right & some wonder why we keep losing….

How was Joes year last year? Average, he made origin because QLD were short and wasn’t up to it. Averaging 124 meters per game isn’t elite if he doesn’t want to stay so be it same with Douhei. I want players who want to be at the club and play for the badge and fans. Like someone previously he would have signed if he wasn’t waiting for something better from a “better” club

Our pack next season is suddenly shaping up to be a totally different and a stronger one.
If the stars align the forwards could look something like this...

Jackson Hastings (C) Kitione Kautoga
Jaydn Su'A
Joe Ofahengaue
Api Koroisau
Isiah Papali'i
Fonua Pole
Stefano Utoikamanu Alex Twal
We need a second hooker but we have Fa'amanu Brown, Rua Ngatikaura, Jake Simpkin etc to fight for that spot. 🤔
I still have hope in signing a big fish 🤞
Now for the backs...

I agree with you in general but I think his asking price reflects his form. It's a big contract. He was on overs at the Broncos and they subsidized his contract. He now wants a small increase but we aren't getting any extra from the Broncos.

He isn't going to get massive overs like Finucane or TPJ but he isn't cheap.

Averaging 124 meters per game isn’t elite if he doesn’t want to stay so be it same with Douhei.

He isn't elite. That is the issue. I think he wants to stay though. It's just that he wants maximum market value.

One of our big problems with retention is players always wanting the maximum contract they can get. The rorters get players staying there for significantly less on the cap.

Doueihi is a different issue. He is already paid overs and wants to test his value without giving us great service.

Let's wait and see what happens.

We really need our pathways to provide us with quality players because it appears we need to let players go plus it's really hard to recruit players.

Looks like Manly are a very unhappy bunch getting flogged by Ricky yesterday,there might be a few whom want out. Should start raiding there nest to feather ours.

We can't recruit which is also impacting our ability to retain. We may have to pay overs for some of our "better" players to try and build a competitive squad. There will always be players in teams that fans will agree to disagree on their value. The reality of our situation is paying overs for players is the the only draw card we have got.

Reactions: 851
Our pack next season is suddenly shaping up to be a totally different and a stronger one.
If the stars align the forwards could look something like this...

Jackson Hastings (C) Kitione Kautoga
Jaydn Su'A
Joe Ofahengaue
Api Koroisau
Isiah Papali'i
Fonua Pole
Stefano Utoikamanu Alex Twal
We need a second hooker but we have Fa'amanu Brown, Rua Ngatikaura, Jake Simpkin etc to fight for that spot. 🤔
I still have hope in signing a big fish 🤞
Now for the backs...
Where’s this Sua talk come from?
Isn’t he still got a couple of year left at drag queens?

For WT to be taken seriously we need to retain players like Offa otherwise it sends a clear message to the playing group to have a break out season at WT then go elsewhere to be in with a chance of a premiership.

He is worth the upgraded money.

This could be a real "line in the sand" moment for WT to retain a player Storm and Dolphins are after.

Sorry I might have missed something but where does the Jaydn Su'A talk come from. Nothing mentioned by "The Pom" and he appears to be in the know.

For WT to be taken seriously we need to retain players like Offa otherwise it sends a clear message to the playing group to have a break out season at WT then go elsewhere to be in with a chance of a premiership.

If we pay overs what message does that send ? We've been through this situation previously. Luc is a classic example. Aoiai and Matterson are other examples. Nofo fits the bill as well.

The message from the players currently is pay the maximum salary or we go.

How do we stop that message and retain players ?

Are Melbourne taken seriously ? They lose players all the time.

Staff online

Back