Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Fully agree, Sheens allowed the spoon to happen. Sure they will say their focus is on next year and beyond which I have no doubts would take a bucket load of time however they didn't support Noddy how they should've. I know Noddy says he knew what he signed up for but no matter how they spin it, it was a shocking move all round.

I don't agree with Sheens being coach & Benji coming in afterwards just feels like groundhog day which we have done before but this time round he just won't reap the benefits + with a rookie coach it has never worked here.

Re Madge, loved his enthusiasm but his time was up our mode of operation was declining even further the longer he was running the side. Our structures and results are impacted by various things but he just wasn't delivering. He & his staff however shouldn't have been the only one's exited as our continued decline over the last few years are across the board.

I don't get the ground hog day comments when we've tried the other coach approach the past 10 years.

Sheens Marshall is a different approach.

Wouldn't it be ground hog day if they keept going through coaches?

NRL players union are pushing for 500k exemptions for long service players in the collective bargaining agreement
If that gets approved then I can see why Sheens is keen on keeping Brooks if it can shave 500k off the cap
that would mean a Brooks contract for 2024 worth 650k is only worth 150k to the salary cap
we would be stupid to not sign him

The season was gone, done and dusted while Maguire was at the helm. Our trajectory under Maguire was down.
Maguire was a dead man walking before the season started. Even after he was gone we still had 12 games to play.
We have made the playoffs 3 times from 23 seasons. We have always been a bottom 8 side with a minute period of success, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who learns that we sacked the coach who gave us that success. You can pull out any trajectory you like, but I’m surprised the Maguire coached team got as many wins, given the state of the cap he inherited and the club’s reputation for mismanagement.

DT latest report said its not true.
Fully agree, Sheens allowed the spoon to happen. Sure they will say their focus is on next year and beyond which I have no doubts would take a bucket load of time however they didn't support Noddy how they should've. I know Noddy says he knew what he signed up for but no matter how they spin it, it was a shocking move all round.

I don't agree with Sheens being coach & Benji coming in afterwards just feels like groundhog day which we have done before but this time round he just won't reap the benefits + with a rookie coach it has never worked here.

Re Madge, loved his enthusiasm but his time was up our mode of operation was declining even further the longer he was running the side. Our structures and results are impacted by various things but he just wasn't delivering. He & his staff however shouldn't have been the only one's exited as our continued decline over the last few years are across the board.
I’m not sure Sheens really allowed the sooon to happen. Was a combination of both inexperienced coaching and shocking injury toll.
I find it hard to believe he’s that egotistical to want the club to hit the pits.
Anyway, as I keep repeating, what’s done is done and only next season counts in the short term and then on to 25 in the longer term.
Let’s revisit this after half a dozen games next year.

As much as I would love to have either Moses or Munster the reality is they would cost a major part of our salary cap , and we need them type of players but we grunt up front before anything else , we could get two backrowers for the price of one of them

that would mean a Brooks contract for 2024 worth 650k is only worth 150k to the salary cap
we would be stupid to not sign him

Or Nofo is free. Let's see if Brooks stays or not and if he performs.

The only spine players we have that ideally we retain are Api (we already have him for 3 season) and Hastings. Brooks, Laurie and Douieihi all failed to perform up to the required standard of first graders this season. Doueihi was the worst out of the lot but he was coming back from an ACL and he probably has the most upside out of all of them.

It's tempting to low ball all of them and if they stay at least we are getting value for money. For instance Doueihi should probably be offered a contract as a decent NRL centre. $650k sounds too much for Doueihi and too much for Brooks and Laurie as well.

Is Hastings even worth that money ?

I'm actually fine with our forwards (excluding an edge backrower) and outside backs. Sure if we can get a good deal or recruit marquee talent in those positions we should do it.

I think our big problem is our spine and the players in those positions were in general poor.

1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofaluma
3. AD (rough patch but great player)
5. Ken Mamalolo
8. Stefano Utoikamano
9. Api
10. Joffa
12. Isiah Papalili
13. Jackson Hastings

14. Shawn Blore
15. Fonua Pole
16. Alex Twal
17. Justin Matamua

Fill in the gaps of some quality players and we can compete imo

1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofaluma
5. Ken Mamalolo
8. Stefano Utoikamano
9. Api
10. Joffa
12. Isiah Papalili
13. Jackson Hastings

14. Shawn Blore
15. Fonua Pole
16. Alex Twal
17. Justin Matamua

Munster and Moses halves combination??

We have heavy heavy salary to throw - may as well hunt for the big fish

Spine?
Forwards?
The truth is out there.

It's interesting. I view our problem as the spine and one edge backrower and depth.

Put it this way I don't think we'll improve unless Brooks, Laurie and Doueihi play significantly better consistently. They can all put in the occasional cracking game but they all fail to perform consistently.

I have heard so many reasons why we got the wooden spoon, blaming the board , Pascoe, Coaches, players, however what other team had so many injuries, and to key players, Hastings, Douehie, Stefano are amongst our best were out for big chunks of the year, Talau and Blore out for the season , Brooks was out the last the month, then you had Maumalo if he was not injured, he was playing with injury, then we let go Leilua, and Nofa . It seemed like our dummy half changed every fortnight. Then we had other players out for long periods, Garner, Kepaoa, Seafarth. Our team lacks depth, as other teams have better cover. Our NSW cup side were near the top last year and almost wooden spooners this year.

1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofaluma
5. Ken Mamalolo
8. Stefano Utoikamano
9. Api
10. Joffa
12. Isiah Papalili
13. Jackson Hastings

14. Shawn Blore
15. Fonua Pole
16. Alex Twal
17. Justin Matamua

I don't see centre as a problem. We have To'a, Naden, Kepaoa, Junior Tupou and even Talau. That edge backrow position is a massive concern.

Is Laurie really good enough ?

Imagine if that team had:-

1. Tom Trbojevic
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jackson Hastings

And find another middle forward to fill that 13 role. It's easy as well Matamua or Twal or Blore could all do the job.

The problem is that it's really hard to sign marquee players.

Or Nofo is free. Let's see if Brooks stays or not and if he performs.

The only spine players we have that ideally we retain are Api (we already have him for 3 season) and Hastings. Brooks, Laurie and Douieihi all failed to perform up to the required standard of first graders this season. Doueihi was the worst out of the lot but he was coming back from an ACL and he probably has the most upside out of all of them.

It's tempting to low ball all of them and if they stay at least we are getting value for money. For instance Doueihi should probably be offered a contract as a decent NRL centre. $650k sounds too much for Doueihi and too much for Brooks and Laurie as well.

Is Hastings even worth that money ?

I'm actually fine with our forwards (excluding an edge backrower) and outside backs. Sure if we can get a good deal or recruit marquee talent in those positions we should do it.

I think our big problem is our spine and the players in those positions were in general poor.
Brooks under a good coach is what is required, under cleary he was halfback of the year 2018 and Sheens is a better coach than cleary. Not many halves on the market hence Newcastle are desperate to sign Brooks.
Wingers are a dime a dozen let nofo go if you have to, to only have 200k of Brooks salary on the books from 2024 onwards would be very very good and sound cap management

The "Sheens walks on water brigade" will blame Madge and everybody else rather than admit it was his ineptitude which allowed players to leave mid season and not replace them.Sheens has his paws all over the wooden spoon as do many others.2023 will probably be the biggest manure fight our club has ever had,in some ways i wish that i was not around to see it but i support and love my club and will still be there despite my expectations
I wanted Madge sacked last year, a well run club would have pulled the trigger even before that, I also was not a fan of Sheens coming back, and so far he has delivered nothing, lets hope he has something up his sleeve

Munster and Moses halves combination??

We have heavy heavy salary to throw - may as well hunt for the big fish
Problem is though 99% will reject the Tigers no matter how much money we throw at them as we are the worst club in the competition unfortunately and not saying that because we’re the spooners. We are a poorly run club from top to bottom and its a miracle that Api and Papali’I (although probably regretting) are the 1% that have wanted to come to the club. I understand why people are saying that we should go after the big fish as that’s how you recruit or try to in our case but no player in their prime are willing to come to the Tigers hence why the talk of looking to juniors. We don’t have a chance of signing anyone real big for a long long time.

Back