Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I don’t understand why Laurie Daley couldn’t be a halves coach for us because his role on talking sport was a conflict of interest. (Show was sponsored by a betting agency) yet Phil Gould can be in an executive role, be on many shows and podcasts most of which have betting sponsers. Even worse braith can be a player manager to players in multiple teams, whilst being a head presenter on a show that is also sponsored by a betting agency.
Not sponsored by, it's owned by Tabcorp meaning he's employed by Tabcorp

Could Staines play centre do you think??He’d have to work on getting his body in front in D and reading the plays (probably the hardest part of defending as a centre), but he has the pace to chase after showing his opponent some space. He runs hard and he can beat a man with speed to create. Maybe?

No chance, he already gets rag dolled returning kicks from the wing, centre is one of the hardest positions defensively. You don’t have to be quick or fast to be a good centre although it helps, main thing is being solid defensively, good example of an underrated centre who’s not flashy but does a good job I think would be someone like Opacic, Staines probably need to put on 10kg and work on his defence consistently to be a good centre.
Could Staines play centre do you think??He’d have to work on getting his body in front in D and reading the plays (probably the hardest part of defending as a centre), but he has the pace to chase after showing his opponent some space. He runs hard and he can beat a man with speed to create. Maybe?

No chance, he already gets rag dolled returning kicks from the wing, centre is one of the hardest positions defensively. You don’t have to be quick or fast to be a good centre although it helps, main thing is being solid defensively, good example of an underrated centre who’s not flashy but does a good job I think would be someone like Opacic, Staines probably need to put on 10kg and work on his defence consistently to be a good centre.
Agreed on the work he’d need to do on his D, but he often gets rag dolled doing hard carries usually into 2-3 man tackles. At centre he’d do less of that and more 1 on 1 attack a little wider of the ruck or middle, with more space. It’s playing on the wing that requires him to take those dirty hit ups out of yardage.

I disagree. I think top players are top players because they perform consistently well. If you are geting walloped all over the park it's impossible for the team to perform but good players still play well.

Sure there can be problems getting into form for some players at time but assuming he is fit and injury free he'll kill it.
I think Ofahengaue this season is the perfect case in support of your post.

Absolutely stoked he re-signed.

Agreed on the work he’d need to do on his D, but he often gets rag dolled doing hard carries usually into 2-3 man tackles. At centre he’d do less of that and more 1 on 1 attack a little wider of the ruck or middle, with more space. It’s playing on the wing that requires him to take those dirty hit ups out of yardage.
I don't think so sorry.

He's fast and is a really good finisher, but I really couldn't see him in the centres and wouldn't want the club to recruit him as a 'project' when they already have promising kids coming through who deserve the spot.

As I said earlier, I really hope Talau can pull a Lazarus next year; I like To'a and think he is worth investing in (would love for him to get a go at fullback); Naden I thought was the best centre this season; and I'd rather Tupou and Kepaoa be given time and help to develop first.

Best would be a great buy if possible. 🤔 Best buy... Catchy.

I do think he's a deceptively decent winger, but see Staines as a 'worth a shot at the right price' type.

Welby’s involvement , desire and speed in a game is what Wests Tigers desperately need.
He’s a local St Helens junior, what makes you think he wants to have a run in the NRL?
He’s a born competitor. Quite funny to see how other teams react to the kid because he makes it his mission in every game to target the opposition’s best playmakers, get in their faces and drive them insane. SL is just too easy for him. Both him and Dodd are definitely going to the NRL. I imagine Woolf is already in Bennett’s ear for Redcliffe. No one at Saints would hold it against either. We have to be realistic. But I’d prefer him to go to WT. Even mentioned it to Jackson Hastings on twitter. Don’t want to see him playing for the chooks or Darth Bellamy.

He was good yes but if you’re a regular watcher of super league you’d know the defence is shocking and I mean shocking, standard has dropped over the last few years, Laurie would win man of steel if he was playing for Saints, convincingly. Laurie is only getting better, got his first representative selection and will be looking to build on that next season im sure, we need to look at locking him in.
Defence in SL was not great when Burgess was there. He didn’t have any problems adapting. Same with Gareth Ellis. James Graham and a host of others. When assessing players you assess the man and his qualities before the competition. There are no questions about Welsby’s skills. He’s quick. Has great hands. Can put the ball on the floor. And he hits like a runaway train. The issue is - does he have the competitive fire to turn it up another level like the names mentioned previously in the NRL? On that front I’d say I haven’t seen anyone this single-minded and determined to win at all costs since Burgess. And that is some rap. Players know who can play. Ask them.

BTW - I’ve watched Laurie. Very talented player. No question. But when you are six points down against the Storm with a minute to go - will he launch himself out of the defensive line, smash the ball carrier, steal if from his grasp and put it down under the sticks? He ain’t that guy. Trust me.

Last edited:
Jimmy Gnutlik didn't have an overly inspiring game last night for PNG, however he looks massive.

Would like the club to put some time into him. Get him playing NSW Cup & around the first grade boys.

Looks very imposing, physically.
Raw talent. I think he could really become something with the investment.

Aye @Kaito

Defence in SL was not great when Burgess was there. He didn’t have any problems adapting. Same with Gareth Ellis. James Graham and a host of others. When assessing players you assess the man and his qualities before the competition. There are no questions about Welsby’s skills. He’s quick. Has great hands. Can put the ball on the floor. And he hits like a runaway train. The issue is - does he have the competitive fire to turn it up another level like the names mentioned previously in the NRL? On that front I’d say I haven’t seen anyone this single-minded and determined to win at all costs since Burgess. And that is some rap. Players know who can play. Ask them.

BTW - I’ve watched Laurie. Very talented player. No question. But when you are six points down against the Storm with a minute to go - will he launch himself out of the defensive line, smash the ball carrier, steal if from his grasp and put it down under the sticks? He ain’t that guy. Trust me.
“will he launch himself out of the defensive line, smash the ball carrier, steal if from his grasp and put it down under the sticks?”
Ok I’m sold, I want this guy.

If Staines signs, he walks straight into our starting team. Anyone that thinks otherwise or thinks he's rubbish needs a reality check. The guy just played a GF qualifier for the best team in the comp and some people think he's not good enough for the most underwhelming squad in the comp. Sign the guy and piss Peachy off now.

If Staines signs, he walks straight into our starting team. Anyone that thinks otherwise or thinks he's rubbish needs a reality check. The guy just played a GF qualifier for the best team in the comp and some people think he's not good enough for the most underwhelming squad in the comp. Sign the guy and piss Peachy off now.
Filling in for suspended May....

Let's not make out he pushed any out of the way to get his start.

Ordinary game - shoulder charge was great though.....

I think he can get better though.
Just not sure who makes way for him, at the Tigers.

He’s a born competitor. Quite funny to see how other teams react to the kid because he makes it his mission in every game to target the opposition’s best playmakers, get in their faces and drive them insane. SL is just too easy for him. Both him and Dodd are definitely going to the NRL. I imagine Woolf is already in Bennett’s ear for Redcliffe. No one at Saints would hold it against either. We have to be realistic. But I’d prefer him to go to WT. Even mentioned it to Jackson Hastings on twitter. Don’t want to see him playing for the chooks or Darth Bellamy.
It is interesting that St Helens’ success is being driven by possibly the two youngest players in the team. It takes a long time to get a half firing in the NRL, we’re getting close after a decade, if we take on a 20yo the old timers on here will not go the distance.
However, I really do think we should be talking to Jack Welsby. The kid plays every position in the backline and has incredible acceleration off the mark. Can land the ball where he wants it. Why are mollydookers such good strikers of the ball?

Was an illegal play the best thing he did?

I don't think so sorry.

He's fast and is a really good finisher, but I really couldn't see him in the centres and wouldn't want the club to recruit him as a 'project' when they already have promising kids coming through who deserve the spot.

As I said earlier, I really hope Talau can pull a Lazarus next year; I like To'a and think he is worth investing in (would love for him to get a go at fullback); Naden I thought was the best centre this season; and I'd rather Tupou and Kepaoa be given time and help to develop first.

Best would be a great buy if possible. 🤔 Best buy... Catchy.

I do think he's a deceptively decent winger, but see Staines as a 'worth a shot at the right price' type.
100% on Naden - can’t understand why he’s not getting a go at centre. Does need to smarten up a bit and get some of the dumb errors out of his game though.
On Talau - who knows what he comes back like. Could end up a great 14 able to play as an edge player or outside back. I see him or possibly Rua filling the 14, especially if we lose Nu.
Cant say i love Best - seems to have lost all his form ( and playing attitude) this season, although has had a lot of injury issues I suppose.

Jimmy Gnutlik didn't have an overly inspiring game last night for PNG, however he looks massive.

Would like the club to put some time into him. Get him playing NSW Cup & around the first grade boys.

Looks very imposing, physically.
Raw talent. I think he could really become something with the investment.

Aye @Kaito

I share your exact thoughts bro -
Didn't get much of an opportunity
But physically, very impressive!
Big NSW cup campaign from him

I've seen enough from the crap that regularly gets picked each week at WTs to believe that Staines hasn't got much competition in making our 1st grade team. The jury was out on Hastings before he came and he's been a revelation for our club. Guys like Munster, Moses and Tedesco (let's be real) aren't coming here so we need to aim in a slightly more realistic Signing arena. For the right money and contract length he could be a great Signing for us.

Back