Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Klem would be a great addition. With tamou out, we've lost a senior rep. We get Api, but we need more if we're serious about being a development club.

Gildart's comment stuck with me about how much experience the roosters team had.

He would be brilliant for Stef, Pole & Dias coming through. Kelm is who we need.

I would love Spencer too, but we need to be mindful of where we spend the cash. We need an experienced edge backrower that is decent until one of our juniors steps up.

Bellamy didnt come because he demanded silence{W Bennet told him its a good way to test integrity of a club}the great benny alias leaked the news and stuffed that
Not the official word from the man himself

From the Herald:
"When I knocked [the Tigers] back I think I did regret for a week or so afterwards,'' Bellamy said.

''That [the children] was the main reason [for rejecting the Tigers]. I know a lot of people think it wasn't because I then accepted another job, but I made the decision and regretted it and then thought I may never get another chance here so when it came up again so quickly I decided [to do it].

''I really wanted to have a go at being a head coach and I didn't know if I would get another chance if I knocked back this one. Two years [later] would have been ideal [timing] for me, but you just can't pick your times in this caper.''

From Fox Sports

The Tigers also tried their luck with Bellamy but he wasn’t quite ready to move his life so knocked back the offer. At first he wondered if that was the right decision and questioned if he’d ever be offered another head coaching job... and then the Storm called.

“I got an offer off the Tigers too but I knocked that back because at that time my wife wanted our kids to finish school before we moved anywhere so she wasn’t going to come down,” he said.

“But when I did knock that job back I felt like I might not get a (head coaching) offer again. So I was very lucky about six weeks later the Melbourne offer came and I was pretty keen to take it then.”

Not the official word from the man himself

From the Herald:
"When I knocked [the Tigers] back I think I did regret for a week or so afterwards,'' Bellamy said.

''That [the children] was the main reason [for rejecting the Tigers]. I know a lot of people think it wasn't because I then accepted another job, but I made the decision and regretted it and then thought I may never get another chance here so when it came up again so quickly I decided [to do it].

''I really wanted to have a go at being a head coach and I didn't know if I would get another chance if I knocked back this one. Two years [later] would have been ideal [timing] for me, but you just can't pick your times in this caper.''

From Fox Sports

The Tigers also tried their luck with Bellamy but he wasn’t quite ready to move his life so knocked back the offer. At first he wondered if that was the right decision and questioned if he’d ever be offered another head coaching job... and then the Storm called.

“I got an offer off the Tigers too but I knocked that back because at that time my wife wanted our kids to finish school before we moved anywhere so she wasn’t going to come down,” he said.

“But when I did knock that job back I felt like I might not get a (head coaching) offer again. So I was very lucky about six weeks later the Melbourne offer came and I was pretty keen to take it then.”

I've also read it (From him I believe) That he'd heard some senior players weren't on board with him as head coach at the Tigers back then (Maybe wanted Langmack)
And he took exception to that...

Ivan said he would honour his contract and Coach us in 2019. Wayne said he would come in 2020. Pascoe pulled the trigger by saying no to Bennett and Ivan, and hired Maguire. Another sliding doors moment for WT.
No that's not what happened with Bennett. From Bennett himself:

The problem was, Bennett had a contract with the Broncos until the end of 2020.
“The truth is this; the only team that I ever talked to was the Wests Tigers,‘’ Bennett said.
“There was a three-year deal with them on offer and I would have done the deal with the Tigers if the Broncos were upfront with me and told me they were going to sack me for 2019.
“I gave my word I was staying at the Broncos and I intended to honour my final 12 months, so that’s why I knocked back the Tigers.‘’

Tigers signed Madge after Bennett said he wouldn't leave Broncos early... then a few months later Broncos sacked Bennett anyway, making him available for 2020, but only after Maguire was already signed up.

Reactions: 851
I've also read it (From him I believe) That he'd heard some senior players weren't on board with him as head coach at the Tigers back then (Maybe wanted Langmack)
I think that's just a story? I've never seen Bellamy quoted about that.

No that's not what happened with Bennett. From Bennett himself:

The problem was, Bennett had a contract with the Broncos until the end of 2020.
“The truth is this; the only team that I ever talked to was the Wests Tigers,‘’ Bennett said.
“There was a three-year deal with them on offer and I would have done the deal with the Tigers if the Broncos were upfront with me and told me they were going to sack me for 2019.
“I gave my word I was staying at the Broncos and I intended to honour my final 12 months, so that’s why I knocked back the Tigers.‘’

Tigers signed Madge after Bennett said he wouldn't leave Broncos early... then a few months later Broncos sacked Bennett anyway, making him available for 2020, but only after Maguire was already signed up.

Exactly This....
History never stops being revised around here - It's almost comical.

I think that's just a story? I've never seen Bellamy quoted about that.

I have a memory of him talking about it somewhere briefly....
Maybe I invented it, But I swear he mentioned it in passing at some point.
(Didn't make a point of it, Just stammered around it as he does)

I have a memory of him talking about it somewhere briefly....
Maybe I invented it, But I swear he mentioned it in passing at some point.
(Didn't make a point of it, Just stammered around it as he does)
Oh I've definitely heard the story, but considering things like Bellamy, Bennett etc. I've heard 20 stories and none of them quoted from the men themselves.

Oh I've definitely heard the story, but considering things like Bellamy, Bennett etc. I've heard 20 stories and none of them quoted from the men themselves.

Yeah, The first I'd heard of it was when he mentioned it in the interview....
Was when he was talking about how hard he was on the Storm when he got down there.

As I said, He just mentioned it in passing... Something along the lines of "I heard the whispers that some of the senior players didn't really want me, So I thought no point going there if they don't really want me"

He said that himself in an interview aye.
Sounds very familiar.

I don’t think we need both Klemmer and Leniu unless we can get rid of Musgrove.

Klemmer works well because hopefully in 3 years guys like Miller are coming into the NRL side. He also gives us a pack leader which I’m not sure we will get with Leniu.

Would be very surprised we get Leniu & Klemmer unless a more experienced player moved out.

Twal, Joe, Setefano, Pole, Fainu, Musgrove + Papa can slot into Prop if needed.
Add Klemmer & Leniu we would have 9 potential props

If Joe went to Lock (means Hastings gone or halfback) & Papa backrower only we still have 7 props.

2 start, 2 bench = Pole, Fainu and either Twal/Musgrove would be reserve grade.

Would mean we would need to move at least 1 if not both of Twal and Musgrove, can't see either sitting in reserve grade.

Kind of disappointing...we're getting Api who just won a grand final and papi who just lost a grand final 😒 just our luck 😑

Yep I think there will be some movement in the off-season especially with Canterbury. I’m pretty sure they’re over the cap so will have to shed.

Also, is it just me or is Reed Mahoney overrated. Geez he is lame. I feel he gets attention because of his white headgear. Like who wears that beside him and Jarrod Croker.

Kikau is a good signing. Would love it if they cant actually afford him and we swoop in and get him.
He reminds me of Nathan Friend…always played above his weight and had a crack, but often his lack of physical size would be a factor in games.

He’s ok, but I would have API over him any day.

Reactions: 851
Kind of disappointing...we're getting Api who just won a grand final and papi who just lost a grand final 😒 just our luc
He said that himself in an interview aye.
Sounds very familiar.
and here’s me thinking this was the contracts suggestions and rumors thread when in reality it’s also gives a toss we could have got bennet or whoever thread . It’s boring cry me a river , can it be shifted to another thread

Members online

Back