Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I think if we look all this realistically we may perhaps agree that this was always going to be another difficult year. Particularly with or average roster, couple of very average preseason performances and even after getting those two early wins I was never really confident.

With current NRL rules in place we live in very difficult game environment where teams ….. looking to reset, rebuild and/ or play with inadequate experienced roster backup ….. have very little chance to succeed. Particularly if you add to that the hostility and manipulation from the media and player managers that’s relentlessly directed our way.

I know in the past it’s been said over and over that we need to be patient ….. and as supporters of WT club ….. that message is wearing rather thin. I don’t expect short term miracles but believe success will come as long as we continue to focus resources on local junior pathways as major road to improvement.

So I can understand and support approach currently taken by the Club ….. clean out our roster and move on the underperformed, uninspired and unwilling and use our historic knowledge of failure to turn it into success.

I was on the same page as you with Senter, a penalty magnet
His reputation with the refs got so bad he copped penalties when he didn't do anything at times😂😆.

Eventually it didn't matter if the opposition player dropped the ball cold or had a loose carry, if Senter was involved in the tackle he copped a penalty for a strip.......all because of his past transgressions, and his willingness to give away penalties in illegal tackles/strips.

His reputation with the refs got so bad he copped penalties when he didn't do anything at times😂😆.

Eventually it didn't matter if the opposition player dropped the ball cold or had a loose carry, if Senter was involved in the tackle he copped a penalty for a strip.......all because of his past transgressions, and his willingness to give away penalties in illegal tackles/strips.
If he ran the ball with the same purpose he did back when playing for the Raiders, giving away a penalty here and there wouldn’t be an issue.
Similar with Naden, when was the last time he broke a tackle from running the ball hard and when was the first time he tackled someone hard enough to force an error ?
If both Bateman and Naden were demonstrating these qualities, I’m sure the odd penalty from them could be forgiven.

Last edited:
Who can we go after Stefano is gone
Raiders Hola (size similar to Utoikamanu + Raiders KOE player of the year last year), Mooney (promising middle player) or Saulo (amazing tackle efficiency- 95% + tall as Utoikamanu) - all decent budget additions to a front row rotation.

Then spend on Ravalawa, Skelton, Tesi Niu, Grant Anderson, Izaac Thompson or any other winger capable of 140-160m a game.

If a lock or second rower (Jack Williams/Simone Mata'utia) can also be added- bonus.

For those that don't know Hola- to see him move, very fluid much like Utoikamanu at slightly taller & the same weight as Utoikamanu.

Very small example- but..

The impact of the entry of the Dolphins into the competition is being felt. There are simply not enough high end NRL quality players available with more clubs competing for them. Managers are gleefully taking advantage of the state of the market. The Roosters, who are reliant on poaching the best junior talent from other systems, are feeling the bite - JWH, Manu and Keary gone. Here comes WTs with a wave of exciting young talent emerging including Galvin but they're signed long term. Until the NRL address with the Roosters and the Storm their lack of junior production in their districts - Sydney East and Melbourne, the issue will be ongoing.

Dont know if they have been taken out of context but Stefs comments certainly dont read well. Ive defended Stef on here but seems another who thinks he has a right to walk into a premiership team rather than do the hard work here. Probably explains why he coasts 75% of the time

With a $2m war chest to spend, if I could replace Utoikamanu with what I would WANT...

I'd get Willison from the Broncos (who will have a salary cap squeeze next season and Willison's contract runs out next year)

AND

I'd bring back the guy we should never have let go- Joe Ofehanguae.

Both bring size to our squad.

Then I'd go all out on Ravalawa on the wing.

The impact of the entry of the Dolphins into the competition is being felt. There are simply not enough high end NRL quality players available with more clubs competing for them. Managers are gleefully taking advantage of the state of the market. The Roosters, who are reliant on poaching the best junior talent from other systems, are feeling the bite - JWH, Manu and Keary gone. Here comes WTs with a wave of exciting young talent emerging including Galvin but they're signed long term. Until the NRL address with the Roosters and the Storm their lack of junior production in their districts - Sydney East and Melbourne, the issue will be ongoing.
You don’t needs kids when you got dem money bags 💰

With a $2m war chest to spend, if I could replace Utoikamanu with what I would WANT...

I'd get Willison from the Broncos (who will have a salary cap squeeze next season and Willison's contract runs out next year)

AND

See where Stef ends up, the (strong) club who gets him probably has a young middle we could use.

AND

Willison and Te Kura from the Broncs

AND

Great thinking re. Willison. Joe O could be good. Love the thought of Trey Mooney and I reckon Ravalawa would be an astute addition for a season or two.

Latest posts

Back