SMH Preview

softlaw

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/your-clubs-prospects-20100308-prfs.html?rand=1268011774029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TIGERS
THE MAIL
Lote Tuqiri will arrive just five days before the opener against Manly, and will play on the wing. Taniela Tuiaki's recovery from ankle surgery is improving but he is sometime away from a return. Robert Lui is expected to be halfback for round one. Todd Payten (calf) is unlikely to play and English import Mark Flanagan may get on the bench.

WHY THEY WILL MAKE THE EIGHT
It could easily be argued that Tim Sheens has the best roster in the merged club's history. They finally have some size up front and if you mix that with potentially one of the best 1/6/7/9 combinations in the game (choosing fromRobbie Farah, Benji Marshall, Tuqiri, Lui and Tim Moltzen) and more depth than the club has had, they have to make the eight, don't they? Surely.

WHY THEY WON'T MAKE THE EIGHT
Not making the finals since 2005 leads to pressure on coach Sheens and the players. Most think they should make the finals, because of their strong squad, and that pressure will be multiplied. The Tigers played some of the best football of last season but still missed the top eight – that shows how inconsistent they can be.

THE FAN SAYS
"We've got experienced players this year, good buys, a strong pack and an exciting back line. Everyone's excited about what Lote [Tuqiri] can do." – Max Cowie

THE BOOKIE SAYS
The money says they will have a good year but they do rely heavily on Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.At $13 with TAB Sportsbet. – Glenn Munsie

ROY MASTERS SAYS
The ball skills of Marshall, Farah and Moltzen, together with a solid back rowand speed out wide will have them build on their dazzling style of the past two seasons.

THE HERALD PREDICTS
Chris Barrett 5th
Glenn Jackson 5th
Roy Masters 4th
Greg Prichard 2nd
Brad Walter 5th

Wow the worst they have us is coming 5th. which i beleive is about on the money. come on tigers lets rip in this year

All these previews are making me wonder if i'm selling my tigers short. A lot of people believe we'll make the 8 and make it well. To be honest, perhaps i'm being conservative but i'd be stoked if we came 7/8th on the ladder. Time will tell hey!

@Tigerpete said:
All these previews are making me wonder if i'm selling my tigers short. A lot of people believe we'll make the 8 and make it well. To be honest, perhaps i'm being conservative but i'd be stoked if we came 7/8th on the ladder. Time will tell hey!

Mate don't sell yourself short it's called being disappointed for so long. However i am full of pre-season confidence and booking in for my 2010 Premiers tattoo!!!

The SMH's glowing preview wouldn't have anything to do with Benji on the payroll would it!!!!

Besides we all know it's wrong…...1ST is where we are HEADED.....

masters is one of the best thinkers in RL, if he has us top 4 we can't be far off

@fergiefurr said:
masters is one of the best thinkers in RL, if he has us top 4 we can't be far off

There are people i listen to in this game when it comes to unbias, accurate opinions. Phil Gould is one. Ray Hadley another. Roy Masters is one who's opinion i'd respect too.

Still their opinions mean squat if we don't do the work.

Ray hadley ?? mate ive forgotten more about football than that guy knows.

SMH had a great little pullout too on Sunday, giving an overview of each of the teams and a rundown from the captains. We were predicted 4th on there too.

don't forget the Big Marn - he has us coming second, hehehe

@tomcat said:
Ray hadley ?? mate ive forgotten more about football than that guy knows.

Agree - The Guys is a blow hard - got nothing…

His footy show is a waste of time - Stupid songs and bad comedy.

Back