The Betoota Advocate: Report: It’s Really Happening

upthetigers

WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet | CONTACT

Less than half way through the 2023 NRL Premiership season, it looks like the race is pretty much over.

After talking an early lead last week, the Wests Tigers have kicked on with a statement 18-16 win over Premiership heavyweights the St George-Illawarra Dragons.

In the game of the round, the Wests Tigers looked unable to make a mistake, treating a packed Lang Park to 80 minutes of free flowing football.

“It was mesmerising,” said one Rugby League fan from Caxton Street yesterday afternoon.

The defining win comes just a week after the Tigers dusted the two-time defending Premiers the Penrith Panthers on a cold and rainy night in Bathurst.

The back to back wins for the famous club now looks to have closed to door on the title race, with the Tigers all but assured of a drought breaking title.

While they currently sit on the bottom of the ladder (with points difference keeping them out of 16th), it’s fairly certain they won’t lose another game from here on in.

That will likely take them into the top 4 as they hit their straps like a Reserve Grade prop moving onto the Bundy and Cokes on a Saturday night.

“It’s as good as won,” said one Tigers fan today.

“I’ve booked my tickets to Sydney for the first week in December.”

Its still looking like 30 points will be the minimum to make the 8.

Its still looking like 30 points will be the minimum to make the 8.
I'm confused by the bye rounds but I think win wise that's 8 out of 13 to have a chance. 9 out of 13 to be pretty sure. If I've learnt anything the last 11 years its this: once WT fans start working out the mathematical possibility, the season is cooked.

Although the other thing I've learnt is to enjoy the slim hope because some years that's all we have.

I'm confused by the bye rounds but I think win wise that's 8 out of 13 to have a chance. 9 out of 13 to be pretty sure. If I've learnt anything the last 11 years its this: once WT fans start working out the mathematical possibility, the season is cooked.

Although the other thing I've learnt is to enjoy the slim hope because some years that's all we have.
There are 14 rounds to be played before the semis.
We are currently on 10 points with 1 bye up our sleeve, so affectively we are on 12 points.
That means we have 13 games of football still to play.
To get to 30 points = 9 wins from 13. To be sure, youd be better off targetting 32 points = 10 wins from 13. We can afford to drop 4 games at a maximum.
Certainly achievable, but its a tight comp with upsets galore, meaning theres very little hope in predicting outcomes this far from the finish line. The game this week is very losable. Must concentrate on securing it.

There are 14 rounds to be played before the semis.
We are currently on 10 points with 1 bye up our sleeve, so affectively we are on 12 points.
That means we have 13 games of football still to play.
To get to 30 points = 9 wins from 13. To be sure, youd be better off targetting 32 points = 10 wins from 13. We can afford to drop 4 games at a maximum.
Certainly achievable, but its a tight comp with upsets galore, meaning theres very little hope in predicting outcomes this far from the finish line. The game this week is very losable. Must concentrate on securing it.
Dont we have 1 more bye?
Anyway, main point is yes - it is achievable.

Dont we have 1 more bye?
Anyway, main point is yes - it is achievable.
Yeah theres another bye for us in week 17.
So we have a 3 game run now:
- Raiders
- Titans
- Storm
Then our last bye
Then the run home:
- Cowboys
- Sharks
- Knights
- Dragons
- Rabbits
- Raiders
- Warriors
- Dolphins
- Roosters
- Sea Eagles

We'll be the only team in history to score 66 points in a match & not make the top 8 or win the premiership 🤣
Btw we still haven't conceded more than 50 in a match & also can't win the premiership or make the 8
Records galore 😂

We'll be the only team in history to score 66 points in a match & not make the top 8 or win the premiership 🤣
Btw we still haven't conceded more than 50 in a match & also can't win the premiership or make the 8
Records galore 😂
Tigers made a statement that day, Round 12.
Do you think that was Brooks way of saying goodbye to the club? And of course, the players sending off the long suffering Brooks in the appropriate fashion?
Only other team to put a score on Cowboys has been Sharks.

Back