The differing systems within the NRL clubs

TrueTiger

I was wondering what makes so many NRL systems more successful than others...is it coaches there for long periods of time such as Bellamy at Storm,highly talented players being paid huge amounts of money or Penrith for example having great junior pathways and good development stratergies,Broncos in their heyday winning comps....
Is it loads of Leagues clubs and sponsors money,good planning.the right people in recruitment and retention...I know many of these combination seem to do the trick,however,we seem to be going great off the field financially and have now got a good junior pathway in place,but are really trying to find just what our system really is ...

Any thoughts are appreciated....

I think the thing with Storm is that they have been successful for so long and players who play for them know that they have to put in otherwise they’re gone. That has been embedded within the culture there for so long it will be hard to get rid of.

Plus, they have an eye for talent and can identify players who aren’t doing to well at other clubs but would fit into their system.

They can also identify gun juniors who are going to be the next big thing, it’s definitely not luck. Brendon Smith, Harry Grant, Papa etc

@milky said in [The differing systems within the NRL clubs](/post/1377220) said:
I think the thing with Storm is that they have been successful for so long and players who play for them know that they have to put in otherwise they’re gone. That has been embedded within the culture there for so long it will be hard to get rid of.

Plus, they have an eye for talent and can identify players who aren’t doing to well at other clubs but would fit into their system.

They can also identify gun juniors who are going to be the next big thing, it’s definitely not luck. Brendon Smith, Harry Grant, Papa etc

Exceeding the salary cap helps to build and hold a side together

@elderslie_tiger said in [The differing systems within the NRL clubs](/post/1377227) said:
@milky said in [The differing systems within the NRL clubs](/post/1377220) said:

Yep, their foundation is built on breaking the laws.

Luckily, their core stayed together and sacrificed to stay successful. However, in saying all of that, I am not going to take anything away from them.

@elderslie_tiger said in [The differing systems within the NRL clubs](/post/1377227) said:

You are right and also i think being in melbourne is an advantage to attract players who want to stay out of the limelight and just live a normal life.If i was a good player i would prefer to be able to live my own life and in bleak city i could.Who in their right mind would want grubs like Slothfield Pooper and Crawley trying to get even the slightest amount of dirt on you.
That and Bellamy as a coach would be a big positive

as a club we have moved mountains ,within the cap,r we fast enough 2 overtake the good clubs,or b a consistent top6,i dunno,from the outside in its all rosey,off good progressive, recruitment,blahblah.future is better than ever,watch how they do it

If you've got a multitude of talented players you're successful in the NRL. If you don't, you're not. That's it in a nutshell.
There aren't many (if any) clubs with sub-standard rosters doing well. Or clubs with stacked rosters languishing.
Whether or not clubs with great rosters are playing by the salary cap rules is hugely debatable.

For mine strong culture and leadership.

When you come in and 29 other players are training the hardest, honest conversations, towing the line.
Your probably gonna fall into line, then 3 leave and 3 more come in and they fall into line.

Back