Junior Pauga

We signed Dylan Smith.

Remember him?

Sharks Aus Schoolboy player...FB superstar of the future. Never played a game.

Currently with Blacktown Workers, I think.

These types of 'decisions' have been happening for a while.

When Wests Tigers players met for an induction day last fortnight, Dylan Smith — a development player for 2018 — was a notable exception.

To be fair, Smith had a pre-existing commitment: his HSC.

Young even for development players’ standards, Smith was signed to the 2018 squad despite not playing a single Holden Cup game and not long after his 18th birthday — such was the talent and potential that a number of clubs saw in the Sharks junior.

Just fact check if you can

We signed Dylan Smith.

Remember him?

Sharks Aus Schoolboy player...FB superstar of the future. Never played a game.

Currently with Blacktown Workers, I think.

These types of 'decisions' have been happening for a while.

When Wests Tigers players met for an induction day last fortnight, Dylan Smith — a development player for 2018 — was a notable exception.

To be fair, Smith had a pre-existing commitment: his HSC.

Young even for development players’ standards, Smith was signed to the 2018 squad despite not playing a single Holden Cup game and not long after his 18th birthday — such was the talent and potential that a number of clubs saw in the Sharks junior.
Signed him from Newcatle.
Currently plays for Mounties.

I do think it is true.

We have multiple guys who cannot do the basics.

Noddy was very bright as a player.

It is honestly a product of the modern dev system...a lot of players come through simply as they are bigger /stronger. Some barely know the rules...some have zero footy nous.

A lot of times athletes get those dev contracts over much better kids.

Papz a classic case for us...let go as "too small"...
Mate, I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same thing. Sounded to me, like Noddy was talking about playing the ball, catch and pass, tackling, maybe tying your own shoe laces. I mean, they were talking about Pauga standing in an offside position from the goal line drop kick. And everyone has seen the kinds of errors the WTs have been making, ie. the basics. But then as head coach of a NRL side to say they haven’t practiced the basics enough, well that’s a crazy admission to make publicly. And I don’t think it’s right. Look at Leilua at the Cows, mate, he can win them a playoff with the form he’s currently in. Nofoaluma has been playing pretty good down in Melbourne. Mate, we’re gonna let Garner go to the Panthers. Musgrove’s a good player, Brooks’s was a good player (getting controversial now).. I don’t think it’s the development system. I’m not sure what it is, but take Doueihi, he’s been injured, he comes back and the teams actually going alright with Jacko and Brooksy, so he starts some drama about wanting to play 5/8. He gets his way and has a couple of poor games, so he’s really got to show everyone he can do the job, but he hasn’t.

That Junior Pauga play absolutely summed us up.

Firstly, a Z grader is our depth. No NRL size or skill. Recruitment fail. Plays badly in a state cup team beaten by 100s past few weeks...finds himself in first grade.

Secondly, zero IQ as to what to do. Dumb team.

Thirdly, no one gave him a verbal for being so casual. Sam Walker copped it from JWH and Radley two weeks ago over a missed opp. We have no leaders.

Fourthly, a game that is won with a pen to lead by 8...we lose in the last min.

Honestly, that one play sums up the last few yearss.

We should title 2020-2022 the Pauga era.

Everything wrong with us in a single play.

And I don't even mean to single him out. He is not alone. But his moment captures everything wrong with the club.
I get the disappointment, but you can hardly use a guy that’s played minimal first grade as the label for poor seasons between 20-22.

I think it’s unfair on the kid and even the great Greg Inglis kicked a field goal when Souths were down by 2 in the last minute…probably one of the dumbest plays in the modern era.

We just compounded things by making 16 errors with a completion rate of 60%.

Unfortunately it was a critical moment, but he was not alone.

I thought he played well minus that one play.

Only thing I'll say for Puaga is until his inexcusable dumb act he had an ok game as no tries scored on his side the freebairn/Toa /Puaga side
St george first 3 tries all on the other side .
But to not know rules incredible same as Matamua who also cost game who got sinbinned for a no arms hit on Moses and Parra scored 12 pts while he in bin .Parra won by 8 !
Noddy says his players must learn rules .Whos responsible Noddy ?

Reactions: BZN
Absolutely no excuse for someone playing first grade not knowing simple rules like not touching the ball until it has gone 10 metres. Minutes to go, up by 6, penalty in front to lead by 8. Game over. Last week and this game proves we are worthy wooden spooners, as hard as that is to take.
Nofo was fed up playing in a very poor side.
He was so disolusand he was dropped to reserve grade.
He needs the break playing with better players around him to get his enthusiasm back.
If he comes back to us 2023 he might be able to inspire our players.

Staff online

Back