Boxing Discussion

I missed Vic's fight - did anyone see it? Fair decision?

To start another topic - Billy Dib's "supporters" need to have a good hard look at themselves…

Arturo gatti murdered while on his second homeymoon. his wife is suspected of the murder, he was strangled to death with a purse strap

@Yossarian said:
I missed Vic's fight - did anyone see it? Fair decision?

To start another topic - Billy Dib's "supporters" need to have a good hard look at themselves…

Didnt see Vic's fight, but from what i understand it wasnt controversial and he was soundly beaten.

Billy Dib? Well, lets just say his actions were very disappointing. :frowning:

RIO DE JANEIRO – Arturo Gatti's wife, accused of strangling the champion boxer with her purse strap, proclaims her innocence and love for her dead husband in a letter given to The Associated Press on Wednesday.

While declining to be interviewed from her jail cell in the northeastern Brazil city of Recife, Amanda Rodrigues did hand over a letter written on white, lined paper and penned in red ink.

"This is a pain that has become inexplicable and intolerable, this loss and this malicious accusation," Rodrigues wrote. "I lost my husband!"

The 23-year-old Rodrigues told investigators she awoke on Saturday about 6 a.m. to find her husband's body in the apartment they rented in Porto de Galinhas, a seaside resort in Pernambuco state. She then called police.

But investigators said she was the only suspect and they are certain she killed Gatti in the apartment where they and their 10-month-old son arrived for a second honeymoon last week. The boy was unhurt and was in the care of Rodrigues' family.

"I'm innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days," Rodrigues wrote.

But those who knew Gatti and Rodrigues in the U.S. and Canada have said their relationship was rocky at best.

"She was yelling all the time, they were always fighting and she'd say 'I'm going to kill you!' when they fought," Gatti's mother, Ida, told the AP by phone from Montreal.

According to records at the Court of Quebec's criminal and penal division, Gatti was charged on April 16 for violating a restraining order that had been filed against him. The records didn't indicate who filed the restraining order, but Gatti's mother confirmed that it was Rodrigues who had taken one out against him. She offered no other details.

Gatti's stepfather Geraldo DiFrancesco said the pair fought, but that he "was surprised" it went as far as Gatti's death. "You can never expect something like that to happen."

Chuck Zito, an actor and friend of Gatti who met the boxer 13 years ago and accompanied him to the ring for several of his most notable fights, said he knew the couple was having problems.

"Things were real rocky. They were rocky between them from the beginning," Zito said. "He said they were probably going to get a divorce."

Zito said Gatti met his wife at the strip club Scores in New York and that Gatti's friends tried to talk him out of marrying her.

Rodrigues, however, batted away the criticism in her letter.

"The people most important to my life, who know us, know the size of our love," she wrote. "What hurts me is knowing the suffering of my family and friends. What hurts me is to know that my husband will not be in my house waiting for my return."

An autopsy report on Gatti was due to be released within days. Investigators said they had no new information to share, but remained steadfast in their theory that Rodrigues acted alone -- and that the alleged murder may have been premeditated, saying she may have encouraged him to drink excessively so she could overpower him later.

Police spokeswoman Milena Saraiva said Gatti was very drunk -- to the point of being incapacitated.

Rodrigues' lawyer, Celio Avelino, on Tuesday petitioned a court for her release pending the result of the investigation, but he said no action had been taken on the request as of late Wednesday.

Gatti's body was released to his brother on Tuesday and was in the process of being flown back to Montreal, where a funeral was expected to take place on Monday.

"It doesn't feel real yet," DiFrancesco said of Gatti's death. "I think it will feel real when we see the body."

In her letter, Rodrigues remained optimistic, writing to her son: "Junior -- soon mama will be at home!"
\
\
\
\
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Big Bob vs. Stinkfist rematch tonight.. anybody else watching?

@Danos said:
Big Bob vs. Stinkfist rematch tonight.. anybody else watching?

One of the worst fights ive ever seen Danos. Big Bob had nothing and just held Hoppa all night. Hoppa was ok, and it was difficult for him with all the holding, but he still could of let his hands go more. He never punches straight and it annoys the hell outta me. One of the most boring fights ever, and to make things worse, we had to listen to Paul Kent commentate, what a joke, he's got no idea.

I watched it. It was a joke of a fight.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that Hoppa never threw a straight jab.

Yeah I gave up after about round 5\. Pretty pathetic. I didn't think Hoppa was much better, he looked exhausted from the walk the ring. Got sick and tired of Bob whinging about his bloody arm. All and all a sad main event and another nail in the coffin for "Superboxer".

Ged O'Mahony looked impressive though. Paul Briggs needs to coach all that showboating rubbish out of him though. A better fighter would have sucked him in and knocked his head off. Very promising though. Had exceptional hand speed, as Paul Kent pointed out every 8 seconds. He landed plenty of clean shots but never staggered Macfie so maybe he doesn't have a lot of snap behind them.. but then again, Macfie is a champion Muay Thai fighter so he's tough as nails and could've probably walked through them all night. Being a former kickboxer himself, Briggs may have handpicked him.

Sorry I just can not get over Hoppa is the Australian Heavyweight Champion…..Surely you guys who know a bit about boxing would know a contender that could knock Stinkfist's block off....

Make sure u watch Lenny Zap fight tonight, he's the best prospect this country has seen in a long time.

One of the worst fights ive ever seen, one of the most boring fights ever.

Took the words right out of my mouth, it was embarrassing.

Former world champion Vernon Forrest has been shot dead in a robbery attempt at a petrol station in Atlanta. Forrest was just 38 and best known for twice beating the great Shane Mosely and losing to kostya Tzsyu at the World Amatuer Championships when he was just 19.

Another fighter taking early.

Arturo Gatti and vernon Forrest R.I.P

@king sirro said:
Former world champion Vernon Forrest has been shot dead in a robbery attempt at a petrol station in Atlanta. Forrest was just 38 and best known for twice beating the great Shane Mosely and losing to kostya Tzsyu at the World Amatuer Championships when he was just 19.

alexis arguello died this month too. they do say things happen in 3's…. :eek:pen_mouth:

@alien said:
@king sirro said:

alexis arguello died this month too. they do say things happen in 3's…. :eek:pen_mouth:

yeah its true it hasnr been good for boxing of late, and not too long ago mike tysons 4 year old girl died too

Good wins today from Danny Green and Roy Jones jr. Didnt see the fights due to the Tigers game, but it sets up an ineteresting one between Danny and Roy. Roy would have killed Danny in his prime, but i give Green a chance these days.

Given all the hype Green gave Mundine and Mundine caned him. It just showed that Green really isn't that good.

Then Green retired and then he came out of retirement. Green isn't worth the time.

Roy will still own him.

Yeah it was a pretty good card. The lightweight Jason Litzau was impressive, as was the other cruiserweight fighter BK Flores.

Greeny looked so much better in the higher weight class, he's still pretty light compared to other fighters in the division though, but a lot of them are almost heavyweights, like Flores. It was a great knockout. His jab was awesome, he showed a lot of patience, defense was stronger, held his hands a little lower and showed a lot more head movement and evasion instead of just walking through punches and taking them on the gloves like he did in the past.

Roy Jones turned back the clock and put on a clinic. Lacy wanted an inside fight and Jones destroyed him. Roy was brilliant throwing short uppercuts and hooks on the ropes, at his showboating best, not even looking, shouting to Danny Green and other fans in the crowd. At one point he was looking at Danny Green and throwing these kangaroo hop punches, very funny.

November 21st is the tentative date that Jones & Green have shook hands on. Hopefully they can put together something concrete soon.

Next few months should be good..

September: Katsidis fighting for an interim IBO lightweight title on the Mayweather/Marquez undercard that also features Zab Judah and the John/Juarez rematch.

October: David Tua vs. Shane Cameron should be dynamite.

November: Jones & Green, hopefully they can put together a good undercard.

Back