TIGERS AND MAGPIES LOSE IN NSW CUP

G

TIGERS AND MAGPIES LOSE IN NSW CUP
By Wayne Cousins
19/06/2010 6:32:25 PM

It wasn't a good day in the NSW Cup for either the Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers or the Western Suburbs Magpies today.

Competition leaders Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers turned in an awful performance in losing 30-24 to the Storm at Olympic Park, Melbourne.

The Storm led 18-6 at half-time. The match saw Wests Tigers player Tame Tupou play his first game in over a year when he lined up for the Tigers in the centres.

Western Suburbs Magpies lost 18-10 to Newtown Jets at Campbelltown Sports Stadium in a match that never reached any great heights.

The Magpies were boosted by the inclusion of captain and half-back Nathan Waters, evergreen prop John Skandalis, centre Geoff Daniela and prop Andrew Fifita.

Daniela and Fafita were dropped from the Wests Tigers team to play Canberra at Leichhardt Oval tomorrow in round 15 of the Telstra Premiership.

In a match they needed to win, the Magpies had plenty of tryscoring opportunities in the first half but only scored twice, one through Daniela, to lead 10-0 at half-time.

The third placed Jets, who had won four straight heading into the game and were equal on 19 points with the fourth placed Magpies, got back into the game when Ben Jones raced 80 metres to score despite three Magpies players chasing.

The try gave the Jets the lead but it did have a touch of controversy about it as it came off a kick by the Magpies. It appeared a Newtown player knocked the ball forward into a Wests player before Jones slipped away.

Newtown then kept the momentum going to score 18 unanswered points to have the game won at 18-10.

The Magpies scored their only points for the second half when five-eighth Rhys Prichard and second-rower Josh Davis combined to send centre Nu Akeripa on a 40 metre run to score behind the posts in the final seconds.

Next Saturday sees the Magpies travel to Henson Park to play the Cronulla Sharks at 1pm in the first game of a double header. Newtown play Central Coast at 3pm.

The Tigers play Auckland Vulcans at Leichhardt Oval at 3pm.

I thought Wests could get away with this one,with all the NRL blokes back and Skando:eek:ne that we needed to stay in touch with the leaders.However BRE lost as well,maybe its that time in the season??.
\
\
\
:sign:

BRET just played like rubbish from what I have been told and the scoreline flattered them.

Brown & Tame did not offer as much as Cowan & Lane have in previous weeks and Tame is definatley a forward in the respect that his ball handling is appalling. The entire side appeared down on energy.

The usual suspects tried their guts out but they all know what went wrong and are determined to fix it.

Saturday at Leichhardt will tell

The game in hand may work against BRET. They wil likely lose a few players to NSW Residents squad moreso than Newtown. If the teams had've played as scheduled a few weeks ago when BRET were building momentum, BRET would probably have come away with the win quite easily.

I have my doubts on BRET representation in residents as Rip Taylor is assistant coach and he has a massive problem with the coach and alot of BRET players.

Wouldn't be the first time our players have been overlooked for reasons outside of ability

I knew this would happen!! Newtown with zero reps and at full strength this weekend.
Bluebags are BRET's bogey team, especially at Henson. : (
\
\
1\. Sean Meaney (Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers)

8\. David Gower (Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers)

13\. Jared Farlow (Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers)

18\. Matthew Ryan (Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers)

Back