Tigers sign Another English Backrower...Mark Flanagan

Aladinsane

In this week's Rugby League Week, there is an article by Tony Adams, stating that the Wests Tigers have signed this week, one of the best young back-rowers from England….Mark Flanagan to a two year deal.

The young 21 year old has been playing for Wigan, and his father Terry, played for Great Britain in the 1980s.
Mark has also played for the England's Academy side, consider the stepping stone to full international honours for many of Britain's best.

Flanagan came recommended by former Cronulla centre, Phil Bailey , a now teammate of the young utility player from Wigan. Phil's a good mate of WT assistant coach, Peter Gentle and that's where the contact was made.

Tim Sheens said..."We have done our homework on the kid, and the mail is very good......He has good versatility-he can play half,5/8, hooker as well as back row"

@Aladinsane said:
Tim Sheens said…"We have done our homework on the kid, and the mail is very good......He has good versatility-he can play half,5/8, hooker as well as back row"

But can he play prop?!

We're pretty covered in the positions he can play.

@alex said:
@Aladinsane said:
Tim Sheens said…"We have done our homework on the kid, and the mail is very good......He has good versatility-he can play half,5/8, hooker as well as back row"

But can he play prop?!

We're pretty covered in the positions he can play.

Hey Alex, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read that quote…..Sheen's enternal fascination with ball playing backrowers continue.
What does our coach have against Props!!!!! :frowning:

Flanno is a good kid, he is only 21 and has just broken into the Wigan side so don't expect an experienced player like Gaz Ellis.

He is very talented and can play a number of positions, a bit on the small side but he has excellent ball skills.

Looking at his profile on the wigan website looks like he is still a young kid on the fringes of the 1st team squad… might be a gamble... looks more like a lock or 5/8 but says he is a goalkicker as well...

Reserve judgement until we see the kid play... Ellis will show him how things are done...

that could well mean that Fulton is not coming back. Sounds like exactly the same sort of player.
Good to see the club announce this news. Their communication is really top notch.
I feel part of the gameplan.

@softlaw said:
that could well mean that Fulton is not coming back. Sounds like exactly the same sort of player.
Good to see the club announce this news. Their communication is really top notch.
I feel part of the gameplan.

hmm, quoting myself. How rude.
Looking at other posts RLW seems to have Fulton as a given to come back (more quality communication) so once again we are going to have a huge number of backrowers (& backs) even if we release Payne & Trimarchi. Galea might be under serious threat too which would be a real shame.

Just dont understand why??? We need frontrowers not small versatile backrowers. We have a u20's a bret and a magpie side full of talented small versatile backrowers. Lets hope Iam wrong and he turns into a world beater–just cant see it. I wonder if Big pat also pushed him our way.

@Bashir said:
Why on earth would he want to come here though?

He was killing it reserve grade but the Wigan coach Brian Noble wouldn't give him a chance, his girlfriend was moving back to Australia so he explored his options out here and eventually signed for the Tigers.

Only recently due to a few injuries he got his chance in Super League and he has done very well, Wigan were then keen to keep him but it was too late. I know a lot of their fans are sad to see him go, he is a classy player.

Smart signing to replace Morris…

RLW mentioned Fulton as coming back and mentioned Payne and Trimachi as gone... (Pretty sure I've heard that Trimiachi is off to Canberra...)

I'm still hopeful that Galea will be retained...

well with Halatau and Morris gone , he looks like covering the 14 shirt. He could even be used at lock by the sounds of things. Does seem strange though given the fact the club looks likely to bring Fulton back. Perhaps this is a long term thing though? Maybe he'll spend time with BRET?

His another snippet.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_5498928,00.html

good to see we are looking out of aus for players he will prob bring different syle of play could be good could be bad hope he has just half of ellis commitment ill be happy . good to see we are building a connection with uk .

Sounds like good news to me.

Please, save your complaints about recruitment until after the 25 are named.

Sounds like the ideal utility to come off the bench. Depending how he goes in the off-season out here, he could find himself in the 14 jersey next season. He's only young and will hopefully improve out here.

Back