Titans not moving NRL final..thats funny..we would

Aladinsane

**We're not moving NRL final, say Titans**
By Wayne Heming AAP Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:05:57

Titans coach John Cartwright says the club **will play its historic first NRL final at its Skilled Park fortress** even if a possible showdown with arch rivals Brisbane would pull twice as many fans to Suncorp Stadium.

Suggestions a Titans-Broncos clash would pack Suncorp Stadium were met on Monday with a "no way Jose" response from Cartwright.

The Gold Coast will reward fans with a home final - and there's a good chance it could be against six-time premiers Brisbane.

"I don't know what the rules are but we wouldn't give up a home semi-final," said Cartwright, asked if the club would consider moving its home final to the 52,000-seat Brisbane stadium to accommodate more fans than its 24,000 capacity home venue at Robina.

"If it's our right to hold a semi-final, we won't be giving that up to go up to Brisbane to play, that's for sure."

**The Titans have won 11 of their 12 games this season at Skilled Park**, their only loss coming against North Queensland in round 21.

The last time a finals fixture was moved was in 2004 when Brisbane requested its clash with North Queensland be played in Townsville at Dairy Farmers Stadium rather than in front of a half-full Sydney Football Stadium.

The Broncos, who had not lost a game to the Cowboys previously, argued the switch would be great for Queensland rugby league.

They lost the final 10-0 in Gorden Tallis's farewell appearance for the club.

Brisbane said the circumstances in 2004 were much different and they would not expect the Titans to give up their final even though Suncorp Stadium could hold 25,000 more fans.

Meanwhile Cartwright declared the Titans, who have won their past four games, would love to beat Manly at the weekend and sneak into second place for a double life in the finals.

"It would be nice. It's a bonus, you're guaranteed two chances if you come first or second," he said on Monday.

"It would be an extra bonus we didn't really count on.

"We'll know where we stand if the Dragons lose (to Parramatta) and we'd have to go down and do a job on Manly at Brookie."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aladinsane

Now that's one of the difference between our club, and the extremely well run Titans club. Scott's mob has one fantastic fortress, one town, one massive club house and training facilities been built right next to the ground….......and what do our players have to deal with.......4 home grounds, 3 clubs all going their seperate ways, one training ground ten kilometers or more from one of it's nearest "home grounds"...blah,blah , blah, blah. :deadhorse:

Also our club wouldn't think twice about, if the team got a "home" finals , selling it off to the highest bidder. :brick: .....our players work their backsides off to make it this year....image how easy it would be for them having one fortress.

We will win again away next week, and just miss out again by one win..........that win was made harder by playing Souths at SCG, or playing Parramatta at SFS instead of Leichhardt, or might have come from playing the Dragons at Campbelltown , instead of playing the game at the SFS.

I am so proud of our team, who are up against it every year , with this 4 "home" ground policy. I have no doubt in my mind that we would all be watching our great team playing finals footy this September, if we had our own Titan's Fortress. So let's all get out to our "home" ground at SFS and help our team give it to the Dogs.......I',m sure Robbie, Benji , Garth and the rest of the lads would except to be playing their last home game in front of a sea of Black, White and Orange.

Juro

Is there some rule about the minimum capacity for hosting finals matches?

Marshall_magic

We moved ours, so what, we still won it. One thing stood out for me in the 2005 finals week 1.

The last thing they said in the coverage for our game against the Cowboys was "The Tigers moved this game to say 'we're ready' and they showed it tonight with a dominant display"

the last thing they said in the Dragons vs Sharks game the following night (played at WIN) was "They recorded a good win at their traditional home ground, but now they must go on to the big time"

Conclusion: there is a benefit in moving your week 1 game to a bigger ground and getting experience in front of a big crowd.

alien

@Marshall_magic said:
We moved ours, so what, we still won it. One thing stood out for me in the 2005 finals week 1.

The last thing they said in the coverage for our game against the Cowboys was "The Tigers moved this game to say 'we're ready' and they showed it tonight with a dominant display"

the last thing they said in the Dragons vs Sharks game the following night (played at WIN) was "They recorded a good win at their traditional home ground, but now they must go on to the big time"

Conclusion: there is a benefit in moving your week 1 game to a bigger ground and getting experience in front of a big crowd.

What do you mean we moved our home final? We were already playing home games at Homebush. Did they ever plan to play the home final somewhere else? I think it was good that we played games at Homebush that year and week 1 of the finals. Our players were used to the ground and maybe it helped us a bit in the Grand Final.

Tigermac

Good on the Titans. Stick to your guns.

Why should they move.

It is always used as a motivator to get into the top 4, now suddenly people want to change it!

Marshall_magic

@alien said:
@Marshall_magic said:

What do you mean we moved our home final? We were already playing home games at Homebush. Did they ever plan to play the home final somewhere else? I think it was good that we played games at Homebush that year and week 1 of the finals. Our players were used to the ground and maybe it helped us a bit in the Grand Final.

OK, poorly worded. When we played our home final at Homebush for a crowd instead of a smaller ground where we would increase our chances at winning, it gave the side some experience in front of a bigger crowd, which was followed up in the next 2 weeks with games at the SFS. The Dragons kept theres at WIN, and got to the big stage a fortnight later and got jumped out of the blocks and struggled to recover from it.

alien

@Marshall_magic said:
@alien said:
@Marshall_magic said:

OK, poorly worded. When we played our home final at Homebush for a crowd instead of a smaller ground where we would increase our chances at winning, it gave the side some experience in front of a bigger crowd, which was followed up in the next 2 weeks with games at the SFS. The Dragons kept theres at WIN, and got to the big stage a fortnight later and got jumped out of the blocks and struggled to recover from it.

True but we also played North Queensland so it was ok since not many of them would travel down to Sydney. If we had to play a NSW team then I would have wanted the game at Campbelltown.