TOP YOUNG BACK-ROWER SIGNS FOR TWO YEARS

G

TOP YOUNG BACK-ROWER SIGNS FOR TWO YEARS
By Wayne Cousins
Friday, August 14, 2009
Wests Tigers have secured the services for the next two years of one of the most exciting young second-rowers in the game today.

Simon Dwyer has agreed to a new deal which keeps the talented ball-player and hard-running back-rower at Wests Tigers for 2010 and 2011.

Dwyer made his NRL debut for Wests Tigers in the 34-14 victory over the North Queensland Cowboys at Leichhardt Oval in round 19\. He has played two NRL games and remains in superb form in the Toyota Cup for Wests Tigers where the team sits in fifth place.

The 20-year-old has risen through the ranks of the Western Suburbs Magpies and the very successful Wests Tigers Cubs program.

“We see Simon as a tremendous young talent and we are very happy that he will be apart of our top 25 squad over the next two seasons,’’ Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell said.

“Learning from and playing alongside the likes of quality back-rowers in international Gareth Ellis, Chris Heighington and experienced forwards such as Todd Payten, Bryce Gibbs and Keith Galloway will only improve Simon’s game under the astute coaching of Tim Sheens.’’

A good signing for the future but by the looks of it will take time to develop. i would have been much happier if he was signed for 3-4 years so we could reap the benefits. If payne and Galea are resigned then I cannot se him making the first 17.

He does kill it in the u20s but this is a big step-up and forwards do take time to adapt to the rigours of NRL.

Where is the marquee signing?

under the astute coaching of Tim Sheens.’’

My New Sig….

Dwyer....like the kid....Good on him ...great news....

At last, one of the up-and-coming younger players, who shows tremendous promise, has been signed for NRL. For the future of the club, let's hope there are some more to come over the next couple of years.

@alex said:
@innsaneink said:
sigh

explain

I'd guess its to do with the headline implying it was a new signing. I must admit I thought it was when I saw the headline. Don't know why they can't just use "re-sign" instead of "sign" to avoid confusion.

In saying that its good news, he is a very promising second rower. He and Schirnack are up there with the better line breaking backrowers in the 20s competition. Just need to retain Woods and the Fifita brothers and we will have the cream of the 20s side signed up.

I worry about our structuring of the cap.

Dwyer is talented yes. But he is untested.

Were other clubs chasing him for Top 25? If the answer is no than he probably should be on a State Cup contract

@smeghead said:
I worry about our structuring of the cap.

Dwyer is talented yes. But he is untested.

Were other clubs chasing him for Top 25? If the answer is no than he probably should be on a State Cup contract

I don't think it would take long before clubs started chasing him. He's been consistently good in NYC.

Untested?????

Must have been dreamin when he played first grade.

One would think that was a pretty good test which i reckon he passed.

@simonthetiger said:
Untested?????

Could not agree more.

@innsaneink said:

Ohhhh crap…..we didnt sign HIndmarsh......mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah,I want my mummmy,mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

All we got is a big/strong/fast kid on chicken feed who has been touted by Sheens as the best junior forward he has seen since Clyde.

The Wests Tigers have screwed us again.......Im going for the Sharks on Sunday.

Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Great news. Another kid to come through the ranks and make his way to first grade. A blockbusting runner of the ball with a decent offload. Will cause havoc on the fringes if given some decent ball.

Simmo will have a long and successful career imo Good re-signing WT :smiley:

Look, it's a good thing that Dwyer is under lock and key.

Having said that, why is our squad full of so many young blokes that are yet to make the grade? We must have the lowest number of proven first graders in the top 25 of all the teams. Where is the money?

@TimmyB said:
Look, it's a good thing that Dwyer is under lock and key.
Where is the money?

In the last 12-18 months we've re-signed / bumped up the contracts to Farah, Benji, Galloway, Lawrence, Heighno, Tuiaki, Gibbs & Ellis all for the long term. I'd say theyre 8 out of the top 10 highest paid players at the club and rightly so. Unless you're privately backed by NewsCorp like Melbourne and Brisbane, youre never gonna have half a dozen guys in your team picked for Origin. In saying that, we have a few internationals too - Ellis, Marshall, Halatau & Tuiaki and Farah is now an Origin player. So we're not lacking in the representative sense.

I'm still yet to see the hype around the Schirnack bro's. IMO Jason is the better of the two. I think Al or both of them could turn out like Tandy, Metuisela, Harlen etc. Play consistently well in State Cup but never make a strong transition to first grade. Happy to be proven wrong.

@simonthetiger said:
Untested?????

I would hardly call 2 x 20 minute periods with the team in front and the game all but sewn up being tested. In the second of those occasions I felt the sides defence suffered down the fringe Dwyer was defending on. But I am willing to attribute that to the side being weary from a very quick defensive line in the first half that day.

I am not saying he has no talent, far from it, I would think at this stage of his contract a second tier contract would be more adviseable considering we have a far superior player in Galea off contract and we have a guy like Mataka who showed much more in his performances facing what appears to be a uncertain future with the club.

@smeghead said:
@simonthetiger said:
Untested?????

I would hardly call 2 x 20 minute periods with the team in front and the game all but sewn up being tested. In the second of those occasions I felt the sides defence suffered down the fringe Dwyer was defending on. But I am willing to attribute that to the side being weary from a very quick defensive line in the first half that day.

I am not saying he has no talent, far from it, I would think at this stage of his contract a second tier contract would be more adviseable considering we have a far superior player in Galea off contract and we have a guy like Mataka who showed much more in his performances facing what appears to be a uncertain future with the club.

I certainly hope we keep Mataka and he is in Sheens plans for next year. I like what I've seen from him this season, he runs good lines, has good leg speed and is pretty strong. Looks like he could develop into a handy backrower for the club if he's given the chance. He's only 20 and will surely get better under.

Latest posts

Members online

Back