Turning line breaks into points

bonstonker

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,473
Location
Louisiana,usa
over the last 6 weeks it has seemed that we have been scoring alot of long range trys.
i decided to look back at the first 15 games and compare that over the last 6 games.
14 trys were scored from the opposition 40 yard line and back.
3 of those were scored from inside our 20.
1 was from a scrum while the other 2 were from plays later in the set.

now this is where it gets crazy
the last 6 weeks
17 trys were scored from the opposition 40 yard line and back.
9 of those were scored from inside our 20
6 of those 17 were scored later in the set.

i didn't count the try after the restart against the bunnies:lol:

not only are we scoring more long range trys we are also staying composed after a break is made and turning the break into points later in the set.
 

Tigerdave

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
13,415
Location
Lismore
@bonstonker said:
not only are we scoring more long range trys we are also staying composed after a break is made and turning the break into points later in the set.

yeah which is what we were struggling with big time at the start of the year
 
G

Guest

Guest
The Tigers look far more composed in attack and defence now compared to the first half of the season. There's still room for improvement though.
 

system

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
11,941
Other than the sharks game which isnt really a test
i have found that against the roosters and manly we really struggled to score points when we where attacking the line….
did anyone else see what i saw?
i jsut think we need to be able to score points anywhere on the field when we verse paramata
and against manly for example first three tries where long range gallant, moltzen and marshall
its good to be able to capitalize but we wont have things like that go our way in the finals
 

supercoach

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
9,020
I think the other point to note is we are actually holding teams out when defending our try line, that hasnt happened in years. Shutting down the offload is still a problem and defending the inside ball up the middle is also a danger area
 

innsaneink

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
37,990
Location
...ahead of you....
@bonstonker said:
over the last 6 weeks it has seemed that we have been scoring alot of long range trys.
i decided to look back at the first 15 games and compare that over the last 6 games.
14 trys were scored from the opposition 40 yard line and back.
3 of those were scored from inside our 20.
1 was from a scrum while the other 2 were from plays later in the set.

now this is where it gets crazy
the last 6 weeks
17 trys were scored from the opposition 40 yard line and back.
9 of those were scored from inside our 20
6 of those 17 were scored later in the set.

i didn't count the try after the restart against the bunnies:lol:

not only are we scoring more long range trys we are also staying composed after a break is made and turning the break into points later in the set.

You'd think given this that our completions would be a higher % than at the start of the year too.
We seem to be not pushing passes when they arent on.
 

NJLM78

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
3,530
@ahwesome said:
Other than the sharks game which isnt really a test
i have found that against the roosters and manly we really struggled to score points when we where attacking the line….
did anyone else see what i saw?

Yeah its a bit concerning. I feel much more comfortable when we have the ball 40 out with a few tackles left than 6 tackles inside the 20.
 

Torbizlo

New member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
352
one massive thing i have noticed is that the players are not pushing that final speculator with a few tackles left in the set after a break.
iv lost count how many times they make a break on 2nd or 3rd tackle and the player throws a shocker while getting tackled and we turn the ball oer in an attacking situation. now they are taking the tackle, geting up, quick play the ball n benji, motlzen n robbie do the rest.
also, i have noticed that our attack is more lethal from 20, 30, 40m out than inside the opposition 10\. other teams seem to spread the ball with a decoy runner or 2 n the winger scores easily with an overlap. we cant seem to do that. vs the roosters, we eventually did it, but even with 1 man extra on the field we still couldnt stretch them out.
pumped 4 this friday.
tigers 13+.
 
Top