Vote for Skando- Sports Dad of the Year

Geo

Staff member
Forum Leader
http://sportsdad.echomedia.com.au/sportsdad/player12.htm

John Skandalis has made a successful comeback to the NRL this season after a stint in the English Super League with Huddersfield. Skando, as he is widely known, is one of the game’s great clubman. He started his career with boyhood team the Western Suburbs Magpies, before surviving the cut when the club merged with Balmain in the 2000 season. Skandalis played in the Tigers historic 2005 premiership winning team, the first joint venture team to claim a rugby league premiership. A hulking front-row forward, Skandalis has played more than 280 first grade games in Australia and England. Skando says his best moment so far was traveling around Europe with his family while he was playing rugby league in England, and also taking his girls to the beach in the summer.
>
Do you think they realise what you do and how famous you are?
Now that Olivia is at school, she has found out more about me. At first she couldn't understand how her friends knew me and why they wanted me to sign their pencil cases. Now she's starting to understand. She asks me not to do anything embarrassing on TV because the boys in her class will be watching!! Sophia doesn't quite understand just yet as she's only 4 years old. – John Skandalis
>
Can it be hard being out in public with the kids, and having other children come up for autographs etc? Do they get jealous?
No, the girls don't get jealous but they do wonder why its ok for me to use a permanent marker to "write" on other people's clothes but its not ok for them to do the same thing.
– John Skandalis
>
Favourite family holiday?
We generally head up to Sawtell (Coffs Harbour) each year at the end of the footy season to get away and to simply chill out, spending time together with the kids, on the beach and in the pool. We've been doing this every year ever since I met my Jodi (my wife). – John Skandalis
>
What makes him such a great father?
John has always been very "hands-on" with the girls. He doesn't mind changing nappies, burping babies, putting them to sleep, bathing them or dressing them. He doesn't wait to be asked to do something, he just gets in there and does it and the girls love that about him. He gets the kids out in the yard to do the gardening with him (which they love). Nothing is a hassle for John when it comes to the kids. He adores spending time with his children and he ensure that we all spend quality time together as a family. He's always interested in the girls lives, their activities etc. He teaches them about healthy eating and exercise. But most importantly he has loads of fun with them. Recently, John and I took on two foster kids - two boys aged 11 and 13\. John took his role as their foster parent very seriously. He was wonderful with the boys and he went out of his way to ensure the boys experienced fun things they had never done before. He taught them about respecting themselves and each other and he talked to them about being good students at school. He treated the boys just as beautifully as he treats his own daugthers. – Jodi Skandalis
>
Any Fathers Day requests?
The older I get the more hair I have growing all over my body so something that can get rid of that…I know Philips have a bodygrooming product, so that would be great! – John Skandalis

Access the above site and vote for our Skando….

Skando, Top of the Pops
by Annibelle » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 10:05 am
>
* By Phil Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson
* September 06, 2009 12:01AM
>
Father of the year … NRL star John Skandalis pictured with his girls Sophie (left) and Olivia.
>
WESTS Tigers prop John Skandalis has been named the inaugural Philips sports dad of the year after opening his home to two underprivileged foster children for five months this year.
>
Already raising daughters Olivia, 6, and Sophia, 4, Skandalis and wife Jodie threw out the welcome mat for two boys, 13 and 11, who had been doing it tough. "It was definitely different having a couple of extras around the place but we loved the experience and I hope they loved it, too,'' Skandalis said. "I tried to do as much as I could with them. As long as they took something from it I'm happy.'' The Skandalis family will celebrate Father's Day with a trip to the beach, a barbecue and some quality time. "As long as I get breakfast in bed then I'm happy.
>
It will be more about spending time together as a family,'' Skandalis said. **Skandalis donated his $5000 winner's cheque to the Starlight Children's Foundation. >** Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley, who does a wonderful job with his three daughters, was the runner-up, with tennis ace Peter Luczak third in the online voting at http://www.sportsdads.com.au.

He Won....... :wahoo:

Couldnt have gone to a better bloke. And even donated his $5000 prize. What a top guy.

Back