We Need An Established Halfback

Eddie

For 3 seasons now we have not had an established halfback. An experienced player with a good kicking game that can play smart football. People are calling for Props and forwards, however I think generally our pack holds its own.It is decision making under pressure and ability to grind out games which has murdered every one of the last 3 seasons.

Farah and Marshall are both brilliant players. And with support cast like Ellis, Galloway, Lawrence, Tuiaki, Heightington it is a side with plenty of talent. So why do we come up short every season? You saw it tonight. Having to go to our hooker and our free wheeling genius when it gets to the nitty gritty. They are both flashy fantastic players but neither were born as an organising halfback, the most important position on the field!With a wise old had like Kimmorley and i reckon we are automatic top 4.

Is there anyone out there. Because im not prepared to sit here for another season hoping Lui or Moltzen can fill the void. We need to lessen the load on our number 6 and 9 and try and bring in a leader. We have cut alot of dead wood and surely a play for a player like Michael Monoghan would be worth it. Is there anyone else available? What about Michael Witt, a 90% goalkicker with a decent kicking game. Somebody? Tim Smith, worth a punt i say, has proved he can win games in first grade. I reckon with a organsing half our forwardsare not a big issues, case in front 2005, where we had average players like Oneill, Fulton, Haltau and Gibbs and it didn't matter.

3 seasons without a halfback. The days of Johhhny or a stop gap measure must surely end.I wonder what the great Sheens has in his mind for next season.

we've got our halfback, he was just playing fullback last night…

Moltzen did well. However can you seriously can that when he was at halfback that we beat anyone of note. We played against some shocking opponents. Im not bagging him but i would love a player that can dominate the calls over Marshall and Farah. I know its early days but guys like Moltzen and Kui just seem to get dominated by Farah and Marshall. Then Farah ends up buggered and makes terrible errors.

Oh for the days of Scott Prince…. Still, 3 years on and we only have ourselves to blame (Or more directly Tim Sheens to blame)

I will say, a prop would still be handy. However a decent prop on the cheap could be done with good management. A decent halfback, well I think you have to make it a marquee signing.

@Eddie said:
Moltzen did well. However can you seriously can that when he was at halfback that we beat anyone of note. We played against some shocking opponents. Im not bagging him but i would love a player that can dominate the calls over Marshall and Farah. I know its early days but guys like Moltzen and Kui just seem to get dominated by Farah and Marshall. Then Farah ends up buggered and makes terrible errors.

Oh for the days of Scott Prince…. Still, 3 years on and we only have ourselves to blame (Or more directly Tim Sheens to blame)

why bring sheens up in a thread/post about a halfback, inparticular, moltzen…?

moltzen is young and has shown an enormous amount of talent as a future halfback... he hasnt been scared to dominate marshall and farah... his kicking game had been better than farahs by a mile and up there with benji's... he takes the ball to the line... he throws quality 'speculators'... given a chance he'd be up there with any halfback in the game...

so i can seriously say, that he WILL beat anyone of note. i'd LOVE knowing he was our fulltime halfback, i'd prefer him ahead of kimmorley or any other halfback in the competition any day of the week.... goes for thurston and prince too. i really think moltzen has something special.

@mtd said:
@Eddie said:

why bring sheens up in a thread/post about a halfback, inparticular, moltzen…?

moltzen is young and has shown an enormous amount of talent as a future halfback... he hasnt been scared to dominate marshall and farah... his kicking game had been better than farahs by a mile and up there with benji's... he takes the ball to the line... he throws quality 'speculators'... given a chance he'd be up there with any halfback in the game...

so i can seriously say, that he WILL beat anyone of note. i'd LOVE knowing he was our fulltime halfback, i'd prefer him ahead of kimmorley or any other halfback in the competition any day of the week.... goes for thurston and prince too. i really think moltzen has something special.

Any other halfback in the competition?

Slow Down.

@Eddie said:
Any other halfback in the competition?

Slow Down.

typical, pick out one part of the post to critisize and leave it at that so you can continue with your dribble.

To be fair mtd, a lot of your argument is based on speculation.

I'd say Sheens' in this debate is very relevant, it was he that decided we go with Morris at half for 2 and a half years, its also Sheens that weakened the position in question when gallant went down.

Moltzen over Thurston, Kimmorley or Prince????
bwahahaha…..fantasy land

MOLTZEN over THURSTON ,PRINCE, KIMMORLEY,? :blush: Come on mate, time to take your medication…

yes moltzen over thurston or prince… we've seen their best, moltz is only getting started...
im happy for you to bring this post back up next year...

So wheres all this cash coming from for Prince or Thurston?

Moltzen is our halfback. Hes with us already and with time he could be as good if not better than those two.

I can understand where you`re coming from Eddie, but I also think Moltzen is our answer at number 7\. It`s not an easy task to blend in with Benji and Farah, but Moltzen seems to blend in perfectly and one of the only highlights about season `2009 is the fact that Moltzen has come from a fringe first grader to a genuine star and a player capable of breaking the best of defences.
What we need is back rowers that will run the ball hard and hit holes on the fringes. Gareth Ellis has been sendational for us, but he`s our only back rower who looks like causing the opposing defence any problems, we need to find others. We have plenty of potential from within our ranks, players such as David Gower, Willie Mataka, Simon Dwyer to name a few and in my opinion a player such as Josh Davis could possibly transform into a very dangerous ball running back rower.
Our big problem has been that players such as Corey Payne and Heighno just offer nothing in the way of attacking thrust, Danny Galea does his best but isn`t much better and we have also played Todd Payten quite often in the back row and he`s also simply too slow to cause the opposing defence any problems.
Don`t forget that ball players are only as good as their ball runners, we only real have two go to menm being Chris Lawrence and Gareth Ellis, this is not good enough and should have been indentified well before now !!!

I love your enthusiasm MTD and I really hope that Moltzen does become the halfback that we all think he can be. In fact it seems that almost every tigers fan believes that Tim will strike up a deadley halves combo with Benji and could well be the difference between a finals berth and another dissapointment. It is however a mute point because…...........
\
\
<big>**THE SUPERCOACH IS GONNA PLAY HIM AT FULLBACK!**</big>

I think Lui has done enough to show he is our next half back, especially cos i can't see him playing anywhere else.

@Joe Cool said:
I think Lui has done enough to show he is our next half back, especially cos i can't see him playing anywhere else.

How about for another team

Staff online

Back