Wests Tigers Coaches

I said he could be if their form continue to drop over the next few years. Could.

You're the one who talks in absolutes.
Like Madge won't get the chop till the end of the year. Great scoop that one.
If they were worried about him they wouldn’t have signed him to an extension period that long, don’t forget this season they lost Friend, Cordner and the Morris twins, that’s a lot of experience out the window, they’ll bounce back even if they have a couple of tough years Robertson wouldn’t be sacked, they wouldn’t consider it until at least 2026 given the payout he’ll be getting, so I was wrong about Madge being sacked mid year, a lot of people thought he would last the year before deciding but they sacked him because they want to try and land Ciraldo, we kept Madge all year good chance he would’ve re-signed with Panthers by then that’s why they gave Madge the boot now.

It's a massive risk but you are very right every great coach gets a start somewhere hope he is and says yes to us. Like I said I'll support who ever they appoint
We've also tried a few different established coaches now and it has not worked. I can bag the club, but I think a fresh set of ideas, and new-school approach could certainly make a big difference.

As a potential recruit sitting in front of the coach of Wests Tigers, I think Ciraldo asking you to buy into changing a decade of failure with new ideas, is more appealing than a coach such as Madge who has clearly had a losing record thus far.

Fact of the matter is, too, once we start winning games all of the outside noise will start to change.

I don't think we will get Ciraldo, but if he says no, there is no harm in going back with an improved offer to say "we are serious about getting out of this mess".

But yet Flanno we haven’t even spoken too, Flanno didn’t develop players he bought majority of players from other teams and cheated the system with cap and drugs, we’ve only been linked to 2 coaches since Madge’s sacking that’s Ciraldo and Morris, even Sheens admitted the next coach is someone that’s a ‘kid’ Flanno isn’t a kid.
That’s true, I’ve read a bit more of your comments. Flanagan wasn’t a development coach as such as he was more a unity coach. Providing the right culture to harness a premiership. Sure the player improved under him, but until Gordon was replaced by Barba, Robson was replaced by Chad, Carney replaced by Maloney, Bukuya replaced by Lewis Tagatese replaced by Fifita, Covel / Ryan replaced by Holmes and Bird and finally Morris and DeGois replaced by Ennis they didn’t hold a candle in the competition.
Mind you Flanagan coached the team to the players strengths but still needed the cattle. But in the history of all premierships in all clubs. No team has one the game without at least one out and out superstar.

That’s true, I’ve read a bit more of your comments. Flanagan wasn’t a development coach as such as he was more a unity coach. Providing the right culture to harness a premiership. Sure the player improved under him, but until Gordon was replaced by Barba, Robson was replaced by Chad, Carney replaced by Maloney, Bukuya replaced by Lewis Tagatese replaced by Fifita, Covel / Ryan replaced by Holmes and Bird and finally Morris and DeGois replaced by Ennis they didn’t hold a candle in the competition.
Mind you Flanagan coached the team to the players strengths but still needed the cattle. But in the history of all premierships in all clubs. No team has one the game without at least one out and out superstar.
Good points I honestly forgot some of the players you mentioned that were there. Flanno didn’t develop any of the players he brought in they just shined under him still not a bad thing of course but he didn’t develop.

Google Shane Flannagan and golf day.

There are a few others out there too.

They may well all be false but it might also explain why he hasn't had a coaching gig since.
Here's a snippet about the bank account (referencing a former Wests Magpies CEO, Steve Noyce - who as the then Sharks CEO said he knew nothing of the account arranged by Flannagan):

It didn’t work for Cronulla because while they did sign a lot of talent for this year, they sacked Morris at the beginning of the season last year and missed the 8, although they just missed it while Morris coached them both times into the 8, as for Dogs while it does look better for them, they still aren’t gonna be top 8 this year they probably won’t be last, but they aren’t still making the 8. 23 might be the end for their drought but they aren’t a premiership force still for 22
Yeah it’s all talent they wouldn’t have signed if they hadn’t made the tough call to sacrifice a season there currently in the running to make the top 4 and from there anything can happen if cop missing the 8 if it means competing for a premiership for the next 4 years some times in this business you gotta go backwards to go forwards

There is no point waiting till the end of the year knowing full well madge wasn’t in the plans for the future your better off to cut ties and start to plan for the future

Wasn’t this all the talk last year?
There was a media clip with Kimmorely and Betsy that went into detail about this.
If we are a further year down the track and still waiting for a new coach in order to establish and coach this style then our juniors are further off then I hoped.
I honestly thought since they announced this approach it had commenced. Now I am concerned.
Mean no disrespect to Madge but he didn't seem capable of unlocking any attacking prowess, let alone a style similar to that of 2005.
We're trying to create a DNA or model that's successful for today's game and sustainable but Madge really struggled to take charge of this IMO.
Honestly think everyone can agree that we wouldn't want to see Madge ball replicated, as it's been painful and as unbearable to watch as Ivan's former style.

Yeah it’s all talent they wouldn’t have signed if they hadn’t made the tough call to sacrifice a season there currently in the running to make the top 4 and from there anything can happen if cop missing the 8 if it means competing for a premiership for the next 4 years some times in this business you gotta go backwards to go forwards

There is no point waiting till the end of the year knowing full well madge wasn’t in the plans for the future your better off to cut ties and start to plan for the future
Not bagging the Sharks they are a different team and full credit to them, but Fitzgibbion didn’t coach them last year he started this year that was the point in the conversation. Sure they sacrificed the season last year but ultimately sacking Morris for Hannay didn’t work. They missed the 8 although just while Morris got them finals bound both years.

I said he could be if their form continue to drop over the next few years. Could.

You're the one who talks in absolutes.
Like Madge won't get the chop till the end of the year. Great scoop that one.
On Robinson. There is a great extract regarding him discussing premiership windows and cycles.
He firmly believes you can’t be up all the time every year and need to refresh your roster every 4-5 years.
during that rebuild phase he expects there to be a dip of such in their position and effect in the comp. 2016 was one of those years. But it was also a year of everything possibly going wrong for the Roosters all at once, but long behold finals again in 2017 and sustaining that further to take it out in 2018, 2019. Now although not as strong as the other top 4 sides they have managed to stay within the realm of contender and will possibly limp in to the 8 or even potentially into the top 4 again all the while rebuilding his squad. Robinson is aware of this and has planned for this.
An incredible intellect and coach in general.

Yeah i'm sure he has. The poster has almost for a week been saying he is not coming and is pretty adamant to the point of telling people to put their mortgage on it. From that there is only a few things to take:
1) Ciraldo should have the decency to advise us of that decision as he is well aware our club is in a holding pattern until we have named a coach.
2) The poster is being fed false info or is simply relaying someone else OPINION
3) Ciraldo is yet to decide, which if it is true that Sheens phoned him yesterday to tell him there is no rush would be the most likely option as Ciraldo could have put it to bed then.
Lucky I haven't put the mortgage on it.

Mean no disrespect to Madge but he didn't seem capable of unlocking any attacking prowess, let alone a style similar to that of 2005.
We're trying to create a DNA or model that's successful for today's game and sustainable but Madge really struggled to take charge of this IMO.
Honestly think everyone can agree that we wouldn't want to see Madge ball replicated, as it's been painful and as unbearable to watch as Ivan's former style.
We played a much better style under Ivan than Madge,who was trapped in a one dimensional one out for 5 then kick it to Kenny
It was cringeworthy to watch
Siebold unleashed South's when he took over from Madge,but he had the backline talent to do so
We've gotta find our own style with the modest talent bank we currently have..and it aint Madges which the game has passed by

No i agree. But this should already be established. Through our pathways coaching. Then you have the players prepared to play within the systems required when they need to come into first grade.
I can’t honestly believe that Madge would be opposed to that. Or are you suggesting that the Pathways were taught to play Madge’s style instead.
For mine it starts when their young. Established first graders should be able to adapt to a style easier when you have a system of juniors coming through coached to play a certain way.

Not bagging the Sharks they are a different team and full credit to them, but Fitzgibbion didn’t coach them last year he started this year that was the point in the conversation. Sure they sacrificed the season last year but ultimately sacking Morris for Hannay didn’t work. They missed the 8 although just while Morris got them finals bound both years.
Yeah but I don’t see where your coming from I think every club would sacrifice short term success for long term success so unless your gonna win the comp or have a crack at top 4 and have the coach you plan on doing so with what’s the point on limping into the 8 and getting knocked out first round you would rather build for the year after and get an early start on it

We played a much better style under Ivan than Madge,who was trapped in a one dimensional one out for 5 then kick it to Kenny
It was cringeworthy to watch
Siebold unleashed South's when he took over from Madge,but he had the backline talent to do so
We've gotta find our own style with the modest talent bank we currently have..and it aint Madges which the game has passed by
Good insight into Siebs-I’m glad he’s making a comeback into the good contemplations of people.

I think there was an allegation by Madge later that he white anted him which Seibs denied.

But in any case, the Bunnies looked crisp and refreshed under his stewardship and they went deep into the finals.

I hope his application is in. Even a possie on the coaching staff would be a very good idea.

Yeah but I don’t see where your coming from I think every club would sacrifice short term success for long term success so unless your gonna win the comp or have a crack at top 4 and have the coach you plan on doing so with what’s the point on limping into the 8 and getting knocked out first round you would rather build for the year after and get an early start on it
IMO if you don’t make the 8 you have a bad season, sure you can say that the teams that are the bottom of the 8 won’t make it to the GF let alone win it, but they still have a chance of doing so, Morris finished both years 7th and 8th and out the first week but having a chance to win it is better than not being able to try at all, I understood sacking Morris meant they were giving up 2021 but Hannay while he was just coaching them last year he didn’t do any better only positive for Sharks last year was they were the best team out of the others that didn’t make it and not coming last too, the point I was trying to make before was sometimes sacking the coach mid year doesn’t always help your team yes it helped Sharks this year but 21 it didn’t ultimately the goal each year is to win the premiership but obviously only 1 team does and for some teams the goal is to get back into finals footy like us.

No i agree. But this should already be established. Through our pathways coaching. Then you have the players prepared to play within the systems required when they need to come into first grade.
I can’t honestly believe that Madge would be opposed to that. Or are you suggesting that the Pathways were taught to play Madge’s style instead.
For mine it starts when their young. Established first graders should be able to adapt to a style easier when you have a system of juniors coming through coached to play a certain way.
No not entirely. Rather that the performance culture never resembled our desired design/objective and the team's inconsistencies were indicative of this. More that he was perhaps a mismatch and unsatisfactory or not suited, for that specific job.

IMO if you don’t make the 8 you have a bad season, sure you can say that the teams that are the bottom of the 8 won’t make it to the GF let alone win it, but they still have a chance of doing so, Morris finished both years 7th and 8th and out the first week but having a chance to win it is better than not being able to try at all, I understood sacking Morris meant they were giving up 2021 but Hannay while he was just coaching them last year he didn’t do any better only positive for Sharks last year was they were the best team out of the others that didn’t make it and not coming last too, the point I was trying to make before was sometimes sacking the coach mid year doesn’t always help your team yes it helped Sharks this year but 21 it didn’t ultimately the goal each year is to win the premiership but obviously only 1 team does and for some teams the goal is to get back into finals footy like us.
Hey champion @Glenji95 - I liked this post. But I wanna especially say this must rate the longest sentence in WTF history - sure I know there were a few commas, but WOW! ;)

I agree with you to a point. Coaching them to play a certain way can be dangerous. If you mean providing them the skills to make certain plays I agree totally.

If were were to implement a "pathways" (I hate that word) system based on ball retention, mistake free footy and a machine approach to the game (ie a Melbourne system) then we could be in trouble.

I take it that we are basing WT DNA on something akin to the 05 style of play. To do that we need a team that plays eyes up and off second phase play. A team that attacks whenever there is an opportunity. To do this you have to purchase the right players and have the right system.

Let's look at a classic example of square peg round hole. Remember when Kearney went to the Warriors out of the Storm system. The Warriors’ had a reputation similar to WT; they were entertainers. They were at their best playing off second phase play and ad lib football. That is a fairly unstructured game, attacking the 3 and 4 in defenders based on skill, offloads and pace.

Kearney arrived and focused on ball retention, defence, discipline and mistake-free footy. Sound familiar? Johnson went from a great player to pretty average. We don't need a Bellamy, Kearney or a Madge.

Cleary has shown how to defeat Melbourne, a big but mobile pack providing plenty of second phase play with a dynamic backline - ready to attack from anywhere. That's more like the Wests Tigers I want to see play.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Back