Wests Tigers Coaches

If the club appoints Sheens I don’t know if I will be able to hang in there.

To sign a head of football, only for that head of football to sack the coach and take the job himself would be the most Wests Tigers thing that’s ever happened. 🧨🧨🧨

Meanwhile at Concord, the wily Wests Tigers board go into planning mode.
Hey boys waddya say lets sack Maguire keep the restless fans happy with a scalp?
Yeah yeah bye bye Maguire! heh heh
Uhhh, wadda we gunna do now?
I dunno, you no?
Nah not me umm.
Not many coaches around eh?.
Hey let's ask sheensy if he's keen.
Nah, has been.
Yeh but who else?
I dunno.
Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Seen it All Before.

Last edited:
If the club appoints Sheens I don’t know if I will be able to hang in there.

To sign a head of football, only for that head of football to sack the coach and take the job himself would be the most Wests Tigers thing that’s ever happened. 🧨🧨🧨

You gotta admit it's a boss move.

Sheens wants a development coach, and the club ends up appointing Sheens as coach. He will be fifty years older than the kids he is trying to develope.

Give the job to Morris and let Sheens do what he is doing now and that is, acting as a shield between the club and the outside world. Okay he can mentor the new coach, but seriously what new coach wants to be nurse maided to.

We need a coach who has a plan and willing to back them selve, Not a coach in his seventies with a plan he will not only be the development coach we need for the playing group but he will be the development coach for the future coach.

No wonder this club, year after year are near the bottom of the pile

Think people worrying about Sheens taking over are jumping at shadows. There’s been zero evidence of him gunning for the role. Idk why he‘d want it. Would actually be a downgrade from his current role. Atm, he has no pressure, he’s the judge, jury and executioner. He won’t have that same luxury as coach. He’ll have more to answer for.

Think people worrying about Sheens taking over are jumping at shadows. There’s been zero evidence of him gunning for the role. Idk why he‘d want it. Would actually be a downgrade from his current role. Atm, he has no pressure, he’s the judge, jury and executioner. He won’t have that same luxury as coach. He’ll have more to answer for.

His arrogance… they all thick they can still do it or do something no one else can,
he was still coaching a little while back.

If we keep Noddy we won’t go anywhere in 23. I won’t mind if he becomes an assistant, but head coach we will definitely be last in 23 if he’s coaching us again.

Put him back with the kids - where we got him, and more than likely where he belongs. Great player, great bloke doesn’t equal great coach

Hope your right, but there is a lot of smoke around

Reactions: 851
That would be an amazing piece of work from Sheens if he ends up the coach.
Yep - offered the lowly position of overseeing the pathways program, but was catapulted in to the position of manager of football operations which gave him the power to hire and fire and lo and behold he fires the coach with no replacement. While he had no problem with the firing part he has a lot of trouble with the hiring side of things to the point that he may now have to take on the coaching role himself. Great to have him back - i have missed all these shenanigans over the last 10 years.

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has declared Wests Tigers need an experienced coach who “won’t succumb to outside pressures” and can “handle the politics from above”.

That is why Stuart has ignored club rivalry to urge Wests Tigers management to appoint Tim Sheens as head coach for the next two seasons.

And Stuart’s support of Sheens was immediately shared by Raiders legends, Laurie Daley and Mal Meninga.

The push for Sheens, 71, to take over at Concord from next year is gathering momentum.

Well-placed sources claim the club hasn’t formally asked Sheens to take over – but won’t rule out the possibility either. Stuart, Daley and Meninga won premierships at Canberra in 1989, 1990 and 1994 under Sheens as head coach.

Sheens has support to be named head coach while mentoring a development coach to take over, possibly in 2025.

“I think the environment at Wests Tigers is for a coach that is experienced, can handle the politics from above and has the ability not to listen to any outside noise. And that’s Tim,” Stuart said.

“It’s not a job for a young or inexperienced coach. Tim’s not using it as leverage. You would think it would be his last-ever coaching gig and he won’t succumb to outside pressures.

“The thoroughness of Tim Sheens’ preparation and the passion he has for a club, not just the NRL team but the whole club, the juniors, pathways, is what Wests Tigers need.

“They don’t need a coach in there who will just hinge on the result of the NRL team. They need a coach who is going to build that club for the future.

“Unfortunately, they have got themselves in a position where they need that.”

Daley added: “Tim is one of the greatest coaches of all time. No one knows football better than him when it comes to knowledge.

“He could do it for two or three years while mentoring a young coach. Tim could wear the bruises over that time compared to a young coach. Why wouldn’t you get him to coach when he is there already?

“You ask all the Raiders players about their careers and they will tell you what an impact Tim had on everyone. We wouldn’t have been the players we were or had the success we had without him.”

Wests Tigers missed out on No.1 target Cameron Ciraldo and continue to discuss a range of potential coaches including Brett Kimmorley, Andrew Webster, Shane Flanagan, Stephen Kearney, Dean Young, John Morris, Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, Kristian Woolf, David Furner and Steve Price.

The current Wests Tigers head of football, Sheens is widely regarded as one of the finest coaches of the modern era, winning three grand finals at Canberra, one more at Wests Tigers while also coaching NSW and Australia.

“Tim would do a great job. I don’t think there’s any reason why Tim can’t (coach Wests Tigers),” Meninga said.

“Maybe under a model where he coaches for a few years and brings along a younger coach at the same time who then takes over. Tim could take control for a few years and then bring on the next coach.

“Tim taught me a fair bit about footy, which was good. And then he gave me the captaincy (at Canberra), which improved my game. He taught me how to be a leader. He put his faith in me.”
Yeh, maybe it’s time for Sheens to cash in his browny points earned from the Maguire dismissal and coach one off the ruck before he drowns in the “politics from above.”

When Sheens has a great roster, he competes for a title . Let’s look at some other coaches in that category:

Bennett
Bellamy
Robbo

Good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back