What Books Are People Reading?

Enmoretiger 0

What books are people reading?
I just finished The Phoney Victory, by Peter Hitchens. I am a history buff so this was very interesting about WW2, does not paint the British in a great light.
I have just started reading Jared Diamond's book Guns Germs & Steel after I read his book Upheavel, which was fantastic.
I am more a history reader, but I do read good fiction.
What is everyone else reading?

@enmoretiger-0 said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367204) said:
I just finished The Phoney Victory, by Peter Hitchens. I am a history buff so this was very interesting about WW2, does not paint the British in a great light.
I have just started reading Jared Diamond's book Guns Germs & Steel after I read his book Upheavel, which was fantastic.

Diamond is good, his 'Collapse' was an interesting read.

I've gotten into the Gregg Hurwitz "Orphan X" series recently. There's about 5 or 6 books so far. A bit like Jason Bourne. I am also about to finish a book called "Replay" which is a bit of a groundhog day type deal. Also pretty good. The Jack Reacher books are also a good read; that's my next 'cab off the rank'. I'm doing uni, so prefer read fiction, to relax the mind from the textbook dreariness :) .

Currently reading "How to build a Universe," by Brian Cox and Robin Ince.

Still have to read Forces of Nature by Brian Cox and Brief Answers to the Big Questions by Stephen Hawking.

@demps said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367211) said:
![images (66).jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1621558777180-images-66.jpeg)

If you know your enemy as you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

@cultured_bogan said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367212) said:

Still have to read Forces of Nature by Brian Cox and Brief Answers to the Big Questions by Stephen Hawking.

I like Brian Cox, I will check out that book. I think you would like 'Fabric of the Cosmos' by Brian Greene.

@tilllindemann said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367215) said:
@cultured_bogan said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367212) said:

I like Brian Cox, I will check out that book. I think you would like 'Fabric of the Cosmos' by Brian Greene.

Haven't read that one, will need to have a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also recommend the following for those with an interest in space exploration and astrophysics:

- Letters to an Astrophysicist - NdGT
- A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
- Cosmos: the book - Carl Sagan
- Astrophysics for people in a Hurry - NdGT
- Failure is not an Option - Gene Kranz

Ok started something here, great diversity
I wonder if anyone watched the movie Master & Commander with Rusty as the ships captain Aubrey.
This movie was taken from a series of twenty books written by Patrick O'Brian, these books are amazing. In both detail and the quality of writing.
I read the complete series in 12 months while recuperating form a nasty health issue.
I could not put them down and I have to admit that I have read them all again, tragic I know; but they are the best series of books I have ever read.
I am waiting a few more years, now this is tragic, and hoping my memory fails a bit, and I will read them again.
I am very jealous of anyone reading them for the first time

Arnhem- Anthony Beevor.He is a great writer mainly of WW2 history and very factual and also easy to read.Montgomery was a lousy commander,if you didnt believe it after Caen this fiasco confirms it

@cultured_bogan said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367213) said:
@demps said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367211) said:
![images (66).jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1621558777180-images-66.jpeg)

If you know your enemy as you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

???

Best book of all time.

@jadtiger said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367233) said:
Arnhem- Anthony Beevor.He is a great writer mainly of WW2 history and very factual and also easy to read.Montgomery was a lousy commander,if you didnt believe it after Caen this fiasco confirms it

Beevor wrote great books on Stalingrad and Berlin.

@tilllindemann said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367254) said:
@jadtiger said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367233) said:

Beevor wrote great books on Stalingrad and Berlin.

Yes i have both of those and they are very enlightening of a terrible period in history.The best part of Beevors writing is the fact he does not try to disguise what appalling crimes and incompetence are enacted in the name of war

[/QUOTE]

@magpies1963 said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367290) said:

@magpies1963 said in [What Books Are People Reading?](/post/1367290) said:

Will have to check that out

Ive been getting into a lot of ww2 podcasts rece tly, today i listened to a interview of the author of the book The Impeccable Spy, trur story about a soviet spy that penetrated high levels of both geŕman and japenese authority ranks

just finished the last days of john lennon.what is evident is that the beatles didnt really want to be together and outgrew their early successes so the notion that yoko ono split the beatles up is a wrong one.
lennons murderer quoted excerts from his favourite book- catcher in the rye throughout the trial.
the book sheds more light on the group dynamics of the beatles and the political statements which were contained in lennons songs.
for a beatles tragic a worthwhile read.

Back