Whats wrong with Marshall?

BrissieTiger67

Why was he so down last night? he struck a beautiful field goal and didnt crack a smile, liam fulton ran in with a beau ryaness all over his face like the rest of the guys. At the end of the game he was being interviewed and didnt seem that happy despite joking about having competitions at training and saying it was a good win for the guys etc

does anyone have any theories to why he seemed down in the dumps?

made me so sad, cos usually he's so happy.

cheer up benji!

My theory? He has said he wants to take his game to the next level but it doesn't seem to be happening for him no matter how hard he tries. In fact, his form is probably down and he is putting even more pressure on himself. Hard to be real happy when you are disappointed with your own game.

Mate i was going to say the same thing, but its not just last night, he's like it most of the time. I think he needs to start having more fun

He seemed content with the win but not happy with his overall game.

He seems to have taken it upon himself to push himself and not settle. All signs of a maturing footballer with eyes for September

ive heard he is having some trouble regarding off field stuff but i dont know if thats why he is down a bit on the field

Maybe Benji should play 5/8 only:he controls the game better out there.Coach Sheens is short on options with 1/2 and Center options with two 1/2 backs on the injury list. So I suppose you have to try with the best you have at the time and hope it works.Benjis kicking was better last night as well as his running the ball.
\
\
\
:pray: :sign: :supporter:

i hope he starts having some more fun, when he returns to 5/8 and can start lifting his game and achieve the a level of success hes happy with, i mean it can't be easy when the coach shifts you to a different position with new combinations each week. i mean how often has lockyer played halfback? i dont know the answer but i must be easier on players that maintain a certain position and playing style.

get to your best again benji!

I really think Benji feels alot of pressure to do great every game, maybe from himself but also people in general. The media & so called fans all give him alot of crap whether it's his kicking or position, some people are never happy. Especially through the injury years & people giving up on him, including staff in his own club, & Sheens is the only one who stood by his side. Sheens said in an article i found in '08' from Telegraph that he was looking at Lawrence for 5/8, then another article from '09' that Benji has been playing the same role regardless if in 6 or 7 spot, but people always get up him whenever he puts Benji at 7, he says it's all media concoction & that his role hasn't changed. Benji just seems to do his thing when he's out there & people should just take his play how it comes instead of always finding fault. Not seeming happy at the end or when kicked the great field goal is how he's been for along time, i think he's just real hard on himself.

The bloke is trying to get into finals mode from now. he'll be sweet. despite what everyone is saying, i think he has been playing well. he is not setting the world on fire but he is not having shockers like everyone is making it out. i think everyone in the NRL world expect him to flick, chip, step, grubber, shimmy n razzle dazzle every set and create something. if he doesnt then they say he had a bad game. the guy is going good.

@Torbizlo said:
The bloke is trying to get into finals mode from now. he'll be sweet. despite what everyone is saying, i think he has been playing well. he is not setting the world on fire but he is not having shockers like everyone is making it out. i think everyone in the NRL world expect him to flick, chip, step, grubber, shimmy n razzle dazzle every set and create something. if he doesnt then they say he had a bad game. the guy is going good.

Your right in that he is not having shockers but he isn't playing well either.

I am just very pleased for Benji that he has come through the frustrating period of injuries he had.
he is completing each game and that in itself will be giving him more confidence each week.
when wests-tigers reach the finals, would not be suprised to see him cut loose.

i dont think theirs anything wrong with him, in the wetter months mid year and rep time just getting the wins in slippery conditions is all thats needed. when it dries up im sure he will let loose a little more.

Marshall seemed pretty happy last night when he scored the final try.

Smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

To be honest he isnt playing his natrual game of late which is dissapointing.At 25 years of age he has a hell of a lot more pressure than most and recently the pressure has been stopping him from playing at his best.IMO this all started in rd 10 against south sydney he has not been as confident since.I rekon he should just relax a little bit dont try and carry the whole team just do his job and then we all know what he is capable of.

He missed 4 conversions and made some "how ya goin" decisions in attack.
It happens, just that for Benji it is happening a little too often than what he would personally like.
If he wants to be harsh on himself then that isnt a bad thing. He knows he has more to give and to fix in his game so let him be.
He is wonderful to watch in full flight, whether it's a flick pass, a breakaway down field or a magic final ball out wide Benji Marshall is a truly unique player for this club and this code.
Im Darryl Brohman…....NOT :wink: :smiley:

yeh marshall looked really happy after that last try, i think he really likes putting together attacking plays when hes wide from the ruck and he seemed to be able to do that alot more last night. i hope we pull it together better next week and strengthen our lines.

cmon tigers!

Although his kicking last night was frustratingly bad, we would not have won that game without him last night…..as is so often the case.

Awesome to see the try he laid on for Lote and the way he reacted when he scord his own blistering try...he enjoyed that more than we did!

Keep smiling Benj...you play so much better when you have fun.

Back