Which Players Survive This Disastrous Year?

The_Panda

How many of these guys will play a part in next years side? We know that Garner, Madden, Tamou and Tuilagi are gone. That leaves the following for me:

Should be in first grade
1) Daine Laurie (Far and away best 1 we have. has pace)
5) Brent Naden (Probably)
6) Adam Doueihi (Meant to be good....)
10) Joe Ofahangue (If he stays)
14) Fonua Pole (Definitely)

Still signed but should not be in first grade
2) Ken Maumalo (no - please get rid of)
3) Stafford Toa (no - why did we re-sign?)
11) Tom Freebairn (Solid - but no impact player....may sneak in when injuries but no impact)
9) Jake Simpkin (no)
13) Nua Brown (Defensively can't hold up middle...may be okay off bench for 20 as has pace)
15) Zane Musgrove (no - too many mistakes)
16) Tyrone Peachey (no)
17) Austin Dias (no)

I know we have a lot out, but we have a lot of gaps too fill.

Reactions: 851
Most of our players are project players.

None strike me as legitimate first graders despite a handful showing some basic level of skill...

I like Fonua Pole but he's a straight out rookie.
He's been great this year.

Offa has been one of our best but he looks like he doesn't like playing prop...

Laurie has lost me, he's no good.
Local legend, home town hero type that would carve up the local bush footy comp but is abysmal 90% of the time in first grade. The 10% doesn't do it for me, the flashiness and whatnot. I'd rather a worker like Dylan Edwards.

This roster is the worst I've seen in a very long time.

Should be in first grade

In good teams these guys would be decent contributors but they'd need quality around them. They aren't actually top tier players.

I'm not sure Laurie is a first grade fullback or a first grade half.

Joe O is first grade ready but he isn't a dominant middle forward.

Doueihi is potentially the best player in that list but he has a lot of flaws in his game and I don't think he is a quality 6 in the comp. He is more a Wighton 6 who needs a lot of work. So you need gun players around him and he needs a lot of work on his game. The problem is he is being paid top dollars and he might not even be a quality NRL half.

Pole is basically the best out of all of them when it comes to value for money.

Naden is good but he has a lot of mistakes in his game. That is why Penrith and the Dogs let him go.

I honestly don't think it is. I think Sheens screwed the season over via sacking Madge and letting Nofo and Gildart go. Then we had injuries to Brooks and Hastings.
Benefit of hindsight, sacking Madge was a bad idea. However we probably still finish bottom 4 with Madge and those players.

Benefit of hindsight, sacking Madge was a bad idea. However we probably still finish bottom 4 with Madge and those players.

I agree. We don't have the cattle atm. Injuries hurt us as well. I also think players like Doueihi and Laurie not stepping up was a huge negative against us.

Stef also had a real poor season but it was injury related.

Madge would not have allowed our better players to go. That is why Sheens punted him.

That and the fact he was after the job.

He will screw us over for the next 2 years and ruin any coaching aspirations that Benji had
😔

Madge would not have allowed our better players to go.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing. I'm serious as well. I wonder if our problem is we overpay our better players and they don't deliver.

The Rosters play Naiqama and Momorovski. These guys are not good players but they are in a team with gun players. The rosters have Tedesco, Manu, Keary, Sualli etc. We have Doueihi, Hastings and Brooks.

Laurie has lost me, he's no good.
Local legend, home town hero type that would carve up the local bush footy comp but is abysmal 90% of the time in first grade. The 10% doesn't do it for me, the flashiness and whatnot. I'd rather a worker like Dylan Edwards.
100% correct about Laurie.

10 good / 90 bad or not even in the picture / miles out of position.

We won't go anywhere with him at FB.

The really...really...scary thing is though, he has been our best 1-5 player the past month.

That is how bad the others are.

ToA and Naden are atrocious defensively...both released by other clubs....with us both have been extended.

We won't go anywhere with that 1-5. It is barely above park footy level when it comes to fundamentals and actual footy IQ.

Is it just me or does anyone else think we have looked less fit and much smaller and weaker than the other teams in the comp?? We have continuously been manhandled in nearly every game!
Very true.

If you look at our state cup side, the exact same thing has happened there also.

Smaller, weaker, manhandled almost weekly.

God re-signing Naden, To'a and Kepaoa long term was diabolic planning. To go with Nofoaluma and Maumalo being tied down til 2024. 5 guys on long-term deals and you can make an argument that none of them are FG quality. I'm higher on To'a than most given he's young and has shown some promise, but far from the finished product.

Of those who played today I agree with your list re: keeping if you add To'a and Brown. Brown I think could do well off the bench in the 14. That's it though.

How many of these guys will play a part in next years side? We know that Garner, Madden, Tamou and Tuilagi are gone. That leaves the following for me:

Should be in first grade

11) Tom Freebairn (Solid - but no impact player....may sneak in when injuries but no impact)
9) Jake Simpkin (no)
13) Nua Brown (Defensively can't hold up middle...may be okay off bench for 20 as has pace)
16) Tyrone Peachey (no)
17) Austin Dias (no)

Have to agree, Tuilagi, Toa, Mamaulo and Simpkin were disgraceful, should never see first grade again, that was disgraceful, Sheens needs to own this

Should be in first grade

9) Jake Simpkin (no)
16) Tyrone Peachey (no)
17) Austin Dias (no)

I agree with 5 you nominate in first grade, but wood keep Ken Maumalo who has been our most effective ball returner from the deep every week. No one else from the back 5 make the hard runs. I yhink musrove has the aggression we need but needs better players around him such as Papaliti & Korisou next year.

Back