Woods closing in on NSW Origin jumper

Woods closing in on NSW Origin jumper

Steve Jancetic AAP Sun, Apr 29, 2012 - 7:27 PM

Aaron Woods isn’t saying too much about his State of Origin chances - but the Wests Tigers prop’s football is shouting from the rooftops.

“I think he’s got rep footy written all over him,” Tigers coach Tim Sheens said after Woods’ man of the match performance in Sunday’s 31-30 win over Parramatta.

"He’s going forward in leaps and bounds that young lad.

“He’s only young, whether they use him or not use him this year, he’s headed that way for sure.”

A mammoth 165 metres from 21 hit-ups to go along with 33 tackles may just have been enough to secure Woods a start in NSW coach Ricky Stuart’s Origin I line-up, with the Blues still searching for answers to Queensland’s Test quality pack.

Woods has impressed with every hit-out in 2012, while his efforts for City Origin in the upset win over Country last week were not unnoticed.

“I’m not too fussed about that, I’m just worried about getting a win for the Tigers,” Woods said of his Origin chances.

"My focus is on cementing my starting spot here.

"I do a lot of extras each week trying to prepare 100 per cent for each game.

“One of my big things I’m working on is fitness. Being a big boy, you try and get through as much time as possible.”

While he would not have enjoyed being on the receiving end of it on Sunday, Woods credited Eels prop Tim Mannah with helping his development as a possible Origin player.

“He’s an Origin Blues player last year, I followed him a lot to see how he prepared,” Woods said.

“It was enormous, I learned a lot.”

Picked up channel 9’s MOM today and rightly so. If he can get over the top of Luke Douglas next week, the selectors will be crazy not to pick him.

Good young prospect,his time will come for sure and certain.

What a revelation … I saw him play at Penrith Park two years ago in the NYC and thought he had potential.
Not sure about Origin just yet though.

If Tim Mannah gets picked again, I will give up.

Woodsy is a much, much better player than him and showed it today.

“I think he’s got rep footy written all over him,” Tigers coach Tim Sheens said after Woods’ man of the match performance in Sunday’s 31-30 win over Parramatta."

Waits for Stuart to come out with another “Loyalty” column about Sheens pumping his own players tyres

Woodsie would do well to forget about reading newspapers and listening to ‘media experts’ and just concentrate on his game, then he can’t go wrong.

I think he could be useful in short stints off the bench, not sure he is up for long periods or starting though. He will be a gun in the future, just give it time. He’s still very young.

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens full of praise for prop Aaron Woods

Christian Nicolussi
The Daily Telegraph
April 30, 2012 12:00AM

WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens struggled to find positives after yesterday’s win - but it was a different story when it came to his young prop Aaron Woods.

Woods continued to press for a NSW Origin bench spot with a man-of-the-match performance against Parramatta.

And Sheens could not be happier with his bearded prop, who ran the ball 22 times for 169m, made two tackle busts and 26 tackles before a well-earned rest.

“He’s going forwards in leaps and bounds that young lad,” Sheens said of Woods, before again offering some unsolicited advice to Blues coach Ricky Stuart.

"He played against (Tim) Mannah and company, and he didn’t lose anything by that. He’s only young, and whether they (NSW) use him this year or next year, he’s headed that way, for sure.

“With things being equal and if injury doesn’t affect him, he’s got rep footy written all over him.”

Woods did not want to talk up his hopes of earning a shot at Queensland, but said he had taken confidence from his star performance for City seven days before.

Many in the Tigers camp were surprised Woods did not win the man-of-the-match award against Country too.

“That was a lot of fun being with City, being around blokes like Tim Mannah,” Woods said.

"It also boosted my confidence, which was good.

"I’m just doing the one per-centers. It’s also a big help having the likes of big Keithy (Galloway) and Adam Blair in the forwards.

“I don’t think I’m getting better, I just think we’re getting better as a team. And that’s helped my game.”

The 21-year-old, like Sheens, was disappointed with the Tigers’ final 15 minutes.

“We didn’t finish that game off,” Woods said. "When you only play for 65 minutes, it is not good enough.

“When you want to be a top-eight team, you have to play like a top-eight team.”

Woods and North Queensland backrower Tariq Sims emerged as the bolters for Origin I after impressing Stuart and selectors in the City-Country fixture.

And yesterday Woods outplayed the Parramatta forwards, hitting the line with gusto and always looking to offload the ball.

Woods can also play plenty of minutes, something that is sure to keep him in the frame for Origin in the coming weeks.

I’m going to be selfish. Stuff NSW. We need him playing for us.

No doubt he’ll play origin, and test footy… But what’s the rush, he’s 20!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

He is in good form no doubt. He may snag that bench spot but if he doesnt, he knows that they are very interested in him.
Woodsy will only get better and better. He will end his career with many origin and test jerseys in his cupboard.

fair to say, he’ll be named for NSW along with tariq sims. i will be very suprised if either are not there.

He should be picked, and start. No one else has the form to be ahead of him. Well deserved and good luck.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme