Under age forum members

Saw a post today that drew some stinging criticsm - turned out the OP was only 13 years old.
Now I’m not saying anyone should be immune from critcism of their posts (I give and cop plenty) but in this case I think a few people may have not been so harsh if they knew his/her age.
I’m sure there are plenty of other members under 18 and I certainly would like to encourage their input and love for their footy team - but it would be nice to know your not having a shot at a kid if you disagree with them.
Wondering if it was possible for the admin / mods to put something like " junior member " or something similar near their name so we could distinguish they are only young.
There is sometimes a few harsh words thrown around on here ,alright for some of us , but as long as it’s an open forum we should keep things in perspective and remember we’re not all hard nosed .

@cktiger:

Saw a post today that drew some stinging criticsm - turned out the OP was only 13 years old.
Now I’m not saying anyone should be immune from critcism of their posts (I give and cop plenty) but in this case I think a few people may have not been so harsh if they knew his/her age.
I’m sure there are plenty of other members under 18 and I certainly would like to encourage their input and love for their footy team - but it would be nice to know your not having a shot at a kid if you disagree with them.
Wondering if it was possible for the admin / mods to put something like " junior member " or something similar near their name so we could distinguish they are only young.
There is sometimes a few harsh words thrown around on here ,alright for some of us , but as long as it’s an open forum we should keep things in perspective and remember we’re not all hard nosed .

Yeah, it’s not the first time it’s happened, sounds like a good idea CK.

I’d go for 16 and under though, 17-18 year olds can give as good as they get.

I’m sorry Ink I will go a bit lighter on you know that you are only young and immature 😉

Yeah good point CK and CB I reckon we need something to help distinguish the younger members (14-18 year old)

But on that same point if they are going to give it ,they’ve got to be able to take it

I have some younger kids working for me , and I don’t mind a bit of banter in the kitchen but I explain if they get involved they do so at their own risk (No swearing ,crude jokes,sex talk etc of course) But if we are talking about Sports and they say something stupid , the older guys will let them know

I agree, but some people might not want to disclose their age on a forum. Another idea would be for younger members to decide whether they wish to have the tag or not. I am a younger member of this forum, but I don’t want people going easy on me just because I am younger than most people here.

I agree with Happy and CB, give as good as you get.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

It’s not about “going easy” on younger members simply because they’re young Stripes. You might be 15, very articulate and have an excellent understanding of the game, and therefore may be able to slip into a discussion without anyone even having a clue that you’re younger.

There are some younger members who love their team, and may just want to get involved and share their opinions, and they should be allowed to do this without being lambasted because they don’t express themselves in a way that the older members are used to. Of course, if they want to be a smartarse then all bets are off.

@Stripes96:

I agree, but some people might not want to disclose their age on a forum. Another idea would be for younger members to decide whether they wish to have the tag or not. I am a younger member of this forum, but I don’t want people going easy on me just because I am younger than most people here.

I agree with Happy and CB, give as good as you get.

Mate I would not have thought you were young As CB said you are very articulate young man well done

Something to remember for all If someone disagrees with you , its nothing personal and if someone does make it personal let the Mods know

A considerate thought ck, maybe start up a ‘blue light’ thread, just joking :slight_smile:

@Cultured Bogan:

It’s not about “going easy” on younger members simply because they’re young Stripes. You might be 15, very articulate and have an excellent understanding of the game, and therefore may be able to slip into a discussion without anyone even having a clue that you’re younger.

There are some younger members who love their team, and may just want to get involved and share their opinions, and they should be allowed to do this without being lambasted because they don’t express themselves in a way that the older members are used to. Of course, if they want to be a smartarse then all bets are off.

Very true, and that’s the point I was trying to make. If you’re 13, and copping a bit of flak from the older blokes, like the kid CK mentioned, you could opt to have the “Junior Member” tag, but if you feel comfortable joining in a conversation with the others, and you want to be treated like everyone else, you can decide not to have the tag.

Bottom line is it should be optional IMO.

That’s fair enough Stripes.

Agree with all the above. I think in any case a certain amount of civility isn’t a bad thing if someone is just offering a suggestion or opinion, however, some members (including younger ones) invite some rather harsh responses by posting fairly inflammatory remarks.

If some sort of optional tagging was going to happen it might fall on to the mods to have a quiet word via PM that if they’re going to enjoy the “protection” of being a younger member, they need to realise that it is not carte blache to throw grenades or wind people up.

Yes, a junior member tag can work

any suggestions for a name or even a logo?
how would it work?

We have "member "under our names now Kul , maybe you can fit "junior member "or “young tiger”?
Think teenagers these days don’t want anything too demeaning or kiddie (like tiger cub)
Possibly some of the younger guys could nominate some ideas themselves.
If its optional would be a good idea IMO

It should only really applicable to 16 and under, “Harold Matts” is my pick.

@Cultured Bogan:

It should only really applicable to 16 and under, “Harold Matts” is my pick.

Nice. Although the casual forum visitor may not understand the designation. Maybe a [?] afterwards linking to an explanation would solve that though.

Tiger Cub would be my pick.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme